Some of us have quick recoveries! You might too! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Some of us have quick recoveries!  You might too! Some of us have quick recoveries! You might too!

Unread 02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Some of us have quick recoveries! You might too!

I got alot of information from this site before my surgery. Much of it was reassuring but ALOT of it was scary and made me anxious. I just want all of you to know that some of us have very easy and quick recoveries. You might too. I was feeling good by when I left the hospital. Just a little gas, no bowel or bathroom problems. Incision healed nicely (it was a vertical too). My biggest problem was that I was still getting tired and going to bed by 10:00 until about 5 weeks (I was taking care of a 5 month old baby too so that could be the reason I was sleepy). I am at a bit over 9 weeks and I don't feel like I even had a surgery. I wasn't in much pain - I only took Tylenol when I was in the hospital and an IV anti inflammatory. Then only Tylenol when I got home for about a week. So, take heart. Not everyone has a hard time!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2005, 03:26 PM

I agree!! I wish I had seen this message pre-op!

I know a lot of sisters are having problems, need that support and/or answers to their questions, so that's what you see on the boards. But, many of us, I am sure, are doing great.

I had no problems (other than the being tired you mentioned, and that is nearly gone). I am healing well, and just got the OK for back to work.

When things go well, we often just get on with our lives. I know I am not going to have much time to visit here once I get back to work. So I think we just "fade off" and you don't see the stories of "I am doing fine"

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to the site. I found invaluable pre-op info which helped me get ready for my surgery. I also found out what to look out for if I was to have complications. I guess I found out here what was "normal" and what would be cause for concern.

I know I read it hundreds of times, but the waiting IS the worst part!! But thanks to this site, I knew I had done everything I could to prepare.

I hope if you are reading this pre-op you have an uneventful journey as well. Good luck to all.
Unread 02-25-2005, 03:37 PM

This was an incredibly thoughtful post. Thanks for taking the time.
Fro-yo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2005, 03:48 PM

I am another sister who had a very smooth surgery and quick recovery with no problems. I am exactly 3 weeks post-op. I had a TAH. Everything went great! I feel better every single day and am amazed by how swift the recovery is.

This site was invaluable to me prior to surgery, and I still enjoy reading the posts. I also spend time trying to reassure those that might need it, because this is what helped me prior to surgery. People were so kind and reassuring. It gave me the mental strength I needed beforehand.

So rest assured...many of us had very uneventful operations and speedy healing. I did not even need very much pain meds.

My one piece of advice is to be ready for the possible gas pains when your bowels "wake up" and begin functioning again. I was not prepared for that! Bring some Gas-X (simethicone tablets) with you to the castle. These saved my life!

Best wishes to all ladies in waiting. The waiting IS the tough part. Afterwards, you will be so relieved!

Nora
Unread 02-25-2005, 04:26 PM

I am jumping on the "EASY RECOVERY" bandwagon too!

I had a TAH, kept ovaries, horizontal 6" incision with 13 staples. Good stay at the castle, some bad gas and BM issues the first week (was tolerable), incision healed perfectly with no problems, pain was managable with just tylenol. Handled the stairs the first day home. Got in and out of bed the first night. Each week got better. Mentally I kept positive.

Slept well from day one with a couple of night sweats thrown in. Dealt with the boredom by just telling myself this is ALL ABOUT ME and I am going to take this time to properly and safely heal. Before I knew it ..... WHAM....I am at 3 months post op!

Easy, breezy....I was a lucky one!

Here's to all sisters having a healthy, uneventful, speedy recovery!

Hugs,
Sarah
Unread 02-25-2005, 05:22 PM

Ditto here too! I'm 18 days post op, and I have felt great since day 2! Without repeating what has already been said.

My dr has released me to go back to work lite duty on the 7th of March. That will be 4 wks. post. Kinda scary, but I know I'll be okay. Our bodies do know how to tell us that we did too much!

Yes, this website can be overwhelming, but the info here is just so important. I learned of things that I never would have thought to ask dr about.

I truley do wish ALL our sisters could recover just as quickley as us!

Sherrie
Unread 02-25-2005, 05:35 PM

For the most part my recovery has been very good so far. My nurse got me up the day after once she took the catheter out and had me sit in a chair. By early evening I took a walk around the floor. I was getting in and out of bed by myself after the first time.

Once I came home on the 3rd day I was ready for a nap! I got no sleep at the castle except the first day I was in and out. DH helped me in and out of bed the first couple times, but by that night I was getting up to go potty by myself. (Every 2 hours LOL). I was also sitting at the table in chair and was amazed that it didn't hurt. I had a vertical incision, about 8" long with stitches that were removed a week later.

I stopped needing pain pills by about the 10th day and never really took them all the time after the first few days.

I'm about 18 days post-op now and have some sore or achiness sometimes in my abdomen but no sharp pain like I had the first few days. I haven't even used my coughing pillow in the last week, just a hand down there.

I'm wondering if I was in pain so much before that crept up on me over time so I didn't notice it as anything but normal that makes me feel so much better now. If you had asked me I would have said I wasn't in pain, except the cramping and some twinges, but I feel soooooooooo much better now maybe I was ignoring it, if you know what I mean.

I haven't started driving yet but I'm not in any hurry. Heck, unless I'm leaving the house I am enjoying staying in my nightshirt and robe and taking it easy. I know the real world will intrude at the end of 6 weeks.
Unread 02-25-2005, 05:47 PM

My recovery was pretty good, too. Hospital stay (2 nights) in a private room wasn't bad, hospital staff was good. I took Motrin for a few days after I got home. I was answering work emails from bed on my laptop the day after I got home. Driving after 2 weeks, working after 3 weeks off. Would get tired easily & went to bed early for the first couple of weeks. Everyone here says "listen to your body" - it's so true. If you try to lift something heavy or overdo it in some manner, your body will definately let you know. You will move very slowly in the beginning (because you won't want to jar your insides), and remember that Colase is your friend!

----------------
LAVH
Unread 02-25-2005, 05:55 PM

Bless you all for taking the time to post of your easy recoveries. I'll be going in for LAVH/BSO on March 15. Your sharing has really helped ease some of my fears.

::HUGS all around!::
Anush
Unread 02-25-2005, 06:02 PM
feeling great!!!

Guess I need on this wagon, myself. In fact I just posted today about how I am soooooooo anxious to go bk to work already and wondered if it could be possible to heal so fast!!! I had LAVH on the 18th-week ago today and I can't believe how great I feel!!! I did the gas and the GasX is recommended as a precaution(gas was the pits and didn't leave me until my DH ran to the drugstore and got me some GasX 2 dys after coming home and within 24 hours I felt much better. Bowel stuff can trick you too, I had 3 good BM's shortly after coming home and BANG-just like that got constipated, but milk of mag took care of that, too, so all is well and just wanted to add my success story with yours!!! I go back to the Dr on Thursday, next week, so I will come right home and let you all know the outcome!!!!!! Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register