Let go by company while on medical leave... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Let go by company while on medical leave... Let go by company while on medical leave...

Unread 02-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Let go by company while on medical leave...

Greetings Sisters,

I was "let go" by my company while on medical leave. They approved it for six weeks although it was unpaid. I am fortunate that I didn't need their health insurance as I have access to military facilities for healthcare. I worked there from July 04 until my hysterectomy in Jan 05. There was no disciplinary action, verbal or written warnings involved. "The critical nature of the position required them to hire someone else in my absence", I was informed today when I called to check in as requested by human resources a week prior to returning to work. I was one of two administrative assistants in the department. The company is fairly small, less than 100 employees. I guess my taking off the six weeks to recuperate was a little too much for them to handle. I was upset for all of thirty minutes or so. I then prayed about it and was quite calm and happy the rest of the day. I had to remind myself that God does not close doors without opening others. I could be mad and bitter but why?? I had been wanting to relocate back to Colorado for a while now and my job was the only thing holding me back, now it's not a problem. I start week six on Monday of my recuperation and I shall begin working on my relocation. My youngest son is thrilled to death. He wants to start and finish high school with the friends he left behind in Colorado Springs and my oldest son is stationed with the Air Force in Colorado Springs so maybe this was the Creator's plan for me all along. Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you..wish me luck and God bless you all for the support that I have received here.

Peace and Blessings, MzTumari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2005, 01:40 AM

Good luck and I hope that you find work and a nice home that's perfect for you and your family in Colorado!!!

Everything happens for a reason!!!

Stay Strong and Heal Well!!!
Unread 02-26-2005, 04:07 AM

Hi MzTumari;
I happy to hear you have such a positive outlook! As you said, when one door closes, another one opens!
I'm sorry your employer treated you so badly though.
If your heart says to move to Colorado, then nows the time!
I wish you the best of luck and many many blessings!

Be happy!

Sybie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2005, 05:21 AM

I'm very sorry that happened to you...but, as another sister mentioned, it all happens for a reason...and God does have a plan for you.

Stay strong and God Bless!
Unread 02-26-2005, 06:03 AM

Note to other readers:If Tumari had worked at the company for 12 months (she was only there 6 months) she would have qualified under Federal law (FMLA) for job protection. Her company is large enough to fall under this law. (there is a loophole in the law to allow firing of even "qualified" employees if they meet the definition of "key" employee, but I have never seen or read of this happening).

The company didn't handle this situation well at all. They could have hired a temp in her absence. Telling her after 5 weeks of unpaid leave is really unconscionable!

For you , Tumari, it looks like this is turning out for the best for you and your family! I am so happy for you and your family.

I hope you find a position with a company thay has the same values that you have-I'm sure you will. Best wishes!
Unread 02-26-2005, 08:15 AM

Thought for Today
J.R.R. Tolkien

"Around the corner there may wait,
A new road or a secret gate."
Unread 02-26-2005, 08:25 AM

I am sorry that this happened to you....unfortunately (or not) you are not the only one here that this happened to. It happened to me after this last surgery. I also was only at the job for 6 months so I did not qualify for the FMLA. I was approved for 8 weeks off ahead of time and was let go when I was still not released for work by my surgeon due to returning pain. This was a really good job, first time I had ever worked a "normal" job 9-5 weekends and holidays off, etc.
This was not my bosses doing, it was her boss who doesn't even work in the same city as our office, so I don't have any hard feelings in re: my workplace.
But I see your life changing for the better here. This is probably the only thing that would have sent you back to CO and now your youngest will be happier and your oldest will be closer to his family. This was meant to be and I happy to hear the excitement in your voice
I am also a true believer that things happen for a reason and sometimes it takes a long time to understand that reason, but luckily for you, you see it already. Good luck to you, I am sure everything will turn out just fine. HAPPY JOB AND HOUSE HUNTING!!!! Please keep us updated.
Unread 02-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the support and well wishes...

Greetings Sisters,

Thanks for the support and well wishes. I woke up this morning in good spirits ...after all....."today is the first day of the rest of my life". I have been busy...I updated my resume and have already posted it on several job sites. My youngest son is humming in his room while playing his xbox so I know he is still giddy about going back home. My oldest is excited about us moving back and already wanting a date. :-) I forgot to mention that I am marrying for the 2nd and LAST time on May 28, 05 so the future is looking much brighter already. Yes ...God works in mysterious ways so you never know what is around the corner when you least expect it. I don't know if you have ever visited Colorado but I will say that I am not leaving ever again. I have had the good fortune to live in many places around the world due to the military and this is definitely "HOME". It's truly God's country and watch out ..."I am coming home, Pikes Peak or Bust"....
God bless you all...thanks for being there.....

Peace and Blessings, MzTumari
Unread 02-26-2005, 11:15 AM

Remember in this time of healing that God dosent close one door that he dont open another. This might turn out to be better than you ever expected! Take the time to heal and ponder on what you want to do with your life. You might look at this as an opportunity that alot of people dosent ever get, to decide what kind of career you may want!
Good luck in healing, and you have the right attitude! You are in my prayers!
Unread 03-05-2005, 09:42 AM

I lived in Colorado for 7 years (most of my first marriage) and I met my new, current and LAST husband there. My first son was born there, and I can honestly say I am SOOO JEALOUS, but so very happy for you.

It truly is "god's country" and there is nothing more inspiring and humbling about waking up every morning and looking toward the mountains (especially to see what kind of "weather" is approaching!!).

Good luck to you. I still keep in touch with a few friends out there, and although the real estate market is a bit higher these days, the economy continues to be good (at least in the Metro Denver area where my friends are and where I used to live).

DH and I have talked about moving back ~ but my 73 yr. old father has vertigo and would NEVER be able to visit his grandsons because of the altitude. DH's sister lives out there, and we plan to visit sometime next year.

I sure wish you all the best. Sounds like that company that let you go really did you a huge favor. What a great opportunity!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register