Will sex be painful after 4 prolapse repairs ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will sex be painful after 4 prolapse repairs ? Will sex be painful after 4 prolapse repairs ?

Unread 02-27-2005, 06:44 AM
Will sex be painful after 4 prolapse repairs ?

Hi Gals,

Okay, so I'm jumping the gun here & the pre-op nerves are in high gear, but I thought I would ask anyway. I go in on 3/2 for cystocele, rectocele, enterocele & vaginal vault suspension repairs & maybe an episiotomy cut (diamond). One of the questions I asked my wonderful uro/gyn was ... will sex be painful after all these repairs? His answer to me was that if it was I am to come to the office, because more than likely it will be a granulation issue. Okay, I get the granulation thing (had some after my TAH/BSO) but I guess my question wasn't specific enough. What I meant was .. will I be so tight that sex is going to hurt like the dickens? Geez, I love my doc, but I think he didn't get the "I had surgery down there, will sex be painful? " connection. So, I'm putting my question out to my hystersisters who have gone through this surgery to answer my question!!! Thanks a bunch...now if only the weather co-operates tomorrow (snow on the way) so I can go for all my pre-op paper signing & pre-op tests, maybe I will be able to calm down a bit!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2005, 01:55 PM

Hello
I know how nervous you must feel now. My time off has gone so quickly. I will be 5 weeks post op Tuesday. I am going to have a tvt done before returning to work I decided. I just don't want to chance having to get one a few years down the road if biofeedback doesn't work.
I haven't been cleared for sex yet. My dr. told me at my post op last week at 6 weeks. If I have the tvt soon,I won't be able to have intercourse for another month after that. I too wonder. LOL I only had the rectocele and enterocele repair. I do have a small cystocele, so I wonder if there will be enough room inside too.
My gyn used pig graft material so i wouldn't hurt more than before with intercourse.. Is yours going to use it? You may want to ask him. My gyn says he loves using that stuff because it heals so well.Mine healed really good.
I am almost scared to see how painful it will be once I finally get the all clear from the upcoming procedure.

Good luck on your surgery. I had no problems with just using a spinal, but you are having more work done. I know everything will turn out ok for you
s and good luck!!
Peggy
Unread 02-27-2005, 04:40 PM

Hi mtdwpeg,

Thanks for posting back....I did ask my doc what he was going to use to keep things in place .. he told me sutures! No mesh or graft, he said that my "tissues" were in excellent shape so that's what he's going with. I hope he's right. I haven't read any posts where only sutures were used...I think I'll ask him that question again right before the surgery. When is your TVT scheduled for? I understand that if it's only the TVT it can be done on an out-patient basis - true? I don't have any incontinence issues, but the way things go - that just might be next, so I do keep an eye out for those posts!! I guess the sex question really won't be answered until I get the go ahead & try, but boy it sure would be nice to hear some reassuring words from my doc! Good luck on your TVT & keep me posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2005, 05:22 PM

I will find out by the end of the week when my tvt is. Then I have to get another physical by my GP because of anesthesia. It will be outpatient at the urology center in Cincinnati. I don't know how long I'll be out of work after that. I don't feel like I have a job anymore! LOL
My gyn. said all of those sutures tend to cause additional pain during intercourse. The graft makes it much sturdier and should last a life time. I will see.

A word about the repairs. My dr. said I can't be straining or get myself constipated. I was supposed to be cutting down on the colace now, but I had to go back to the original amt. I have been having abdominal pains and can't hardly go to the bathroom. I might end up calling my gyn this week and see what I should do now. I am thinking he may send me back to the colon rectal dr. who did the defecogram on me. Be careful and drink, drink and drink. The last few days has been the worst so far.

Good luck
Peggy
Unread 02-27-2005, 08:36 PM

Hello,
From my own experience, I had some discomfort after the TAH/Burch/cervix removed/and entrocele. We were slow and careful and use lots of lub. It got much better the more we tried. Yea! After my retocele/entrocele and mesh graph, it was down right painful. It took alot longer to enjoy myself. The mesh graph cause a lot of pain for me and I wish I didn't have it in me. I hope the take it out and use pig skin for this upcoming surgery. Just remember that everyone is different and to take you time and keep trying. Practice make's perfect!LOL! I hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes.
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:03 AM

Hi there ((((hugs))))

My stage 3 rectocele was repaired at the same time as my TVH. Thanks to hormones being in high gear for the first time in a very long time, DH and I resumed intercourse as soon as I was cleared. In my case, there wasn't really any pain... just discomfort and a lot of abdominal cramping. However, it was very tight and some positions were very awckward (sp?). My doctor did some extra stitching at the back of the vagina to prevent further prolapse and that accounts for the strange feelings.

The vagina is a muscle and, as such, will stretch with use. There are several things that can be done to facilitate the stretching and to prevent further prolapses. One thing I've been doing, due to some on-going incontinence problems, has been attending Pelvic Therapy sessions. This involves inserting a probe in the vagina. The probe is connected to a computer and the software will stimulate pelvic contractions as well as monitor the effectiveness of the contractions. That was my therapy, but I assume that other therapies can be done to help stretch and return the vagina's elasticity and flexibility. My therapist believes that a lot of problems could be avoided if doctors and gyns referred more women for this kind of therapy.

I do wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery. Please, do let us know how it all went, when you feel up to it.
Unread 03-02-2005, 04:14 PM

Thanks for asking this question this was the biggest con my DR told me today (Mar 2nd) regarding my rectocele repair surgery. Possible painful intercourse. Oh well, I'm hoping for the best. And DH will be very gentle with me. He was after my SAH and I'm sure he will be this time, too. I'll be sure to give you girls all the sexy details after I recover.

Lonny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register