Camping trip 9 days post op??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Camping trip 9 days post op??? Camping trip 9 days post op???

Unread 02-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Camping trip 9 days post op???

OK
As stupid as this may sound here I go any way. Before I knew that I would be going in on March 8th for TAH we made spring break plans to go camping on March 17th. So I guess what I am trying to ask is this camping trip still going to be possible. How many day do they keep you in castle after the surgery?
How many days till you can walk around?
I don't have any plans on going hiking! LOL Just sitting a round in my camping chair watching the river go by.

May be roasting a mellow or two. I hate to let the kids down.
So what's the verdict?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2005, 10:48 PM

Hey there.

I had a TAH and at nine days post op, I would not have even contemplated going camping. My honest opinion.

The first two weeks, it took everything I had just to get up off the couch, walk slowly to the bathroom, shuffle around the lower level of the house and then back to the couch. Walking was hard and hunched and I "carried" my belly along with me. Between my little walks, rests, naps and easy trips to the fridge to get a quick bite to eat, that was my daily agenda.

Also, my appetite was out of wack. Not feeling very hungry. Energy levels were LOW!

Sitting was not comfortable at all. I lounged on the couch with my back propped and my feet up.

I think just the prep work involved in getting ready to go camping would do me in. Not to mention the set up once you are at the site. I suppose the kids and hubby could do most of it, but still, there is nothing like the comforts of home!!!

Plus, God-forbid you have any problems during post-op, I wouldn't want to be out of town to have to deal with them.

My vote is to postpone the trip until at least you have had your six week check and even then I still say it's too early. Wait so you can enjoy the hiking, biking, swimming, and sitting on the log by the campfire.

At 9 days post op, there will be NO LOG SITTING for you!

Best wishes and good luck with the surgery!

Sarah
Unread 02-27-2005, 10:53 PM

Oh dear , I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't imagine anyone going camping at 9 days post op. At that stage sitting is still an activity... not always comfortable. And of course hiking (other than to and from the mailbox) is pretty much out of the question.

I had a TVH, but the recovery timing is pretty much the same. I was in the hospital two nights, though I could get up and walk (with assistance) only a few hours after the surgery. I went home with a Foley catheter (which you most likely will not) and kept it in for a week, so at nine days post op I was just getting the catheter out.

For the first two weeks, I pretty much stayed home and in my pj's. I got up frequently and walked around the house or out to the mailbox and back, but that was about it... I did go out for brunch once, but that was a five minute drive, sitting in a restaurant for an hour (which was not all that comfortable), and five minutes drive back, after which I was pretty darned tired.

It wasn't till around four weeks or so that I started really going out for two or three hours at a time on my own, and it was a few months before I could carry anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I did go to Japan for two weeks at six weeks post op, after being cleared to go by my DR... but my then 12 yo DS carried the bags all the time and the trip, while really fun and interesting, was very very tiring for me.

So... camping at nine days? No way, not that I could imagine. Can someone else go in your place so the kids can still go? Can the trip be postponed until summer vacation? At this point, your recovery needs to be the #1 priority at your house.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2005, 11:31 PM

I second what the other ladies have said. At around 9 days post-op my DSO drove me from my house to his - a 45 minute drive -because it was too hot at my house, and about 10 minutes into the trip I was in tears from the pain and wondering what on earth I was doing. Having to sit up for any length of time HURTS and, if you are anything like me, all you'll be wanting to do is lie down in between going for very short walks (or should I say "shuffles").

Sorry, but I think if you go you will really regret it and once you got out there you wouldn't want to say "Sorry, I made a mistake. Please take me back home". Better to postpone the trip until you are feeling up to it.
Unread 02-27-2005, 11:43 PM

HI!
One more "no way" to the list. Sorry, but at 9 days post-op, I can't even imagine that you will THINK about going anywhere but the shortest distance between bed/sofa and bathroom. That's about it.

This is one time when you will really need to think about taking care of yourself and having others take care of you as well. You have one great chance at recovery. Obviously, there is a need for you to have this surgery. Postpone the camping trip until you can all enjoy it. Believe us..............this would not be a fun experience.

We're here to support you in any way we can offer. As much as your family will be disappointed, you'll have the trip to look forward to when you are feeling so much better.
Blessings to you!
AMF

TAH/kept ovaries - 7/19/04 - adenomyosis,fibroid, heavy bleeding
FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!
Unread 02-28-2005, 04:35 AM

If we're voting i vote "nope" i couldnt imagine going camping (which i love to do) .....for the first 3 weeks i had a hard enough time going to pee let alone just getting up from the chair.........my mother spent 2 weeks at my house helping my DH take care of me......also after the staples were removed my incision split open all the way (11 inches) and my mom and DH had to "pack" it for the next 7 weeks....2 times a day..........i'm not trying to scare you but i dont think camping is a good idea...........try a good book instead!!!!

Heal Well

Tess
Unread 02-28-2005, 04:48 AM

i think you should wait and see how it all goes and how you feel. also how far away you are and if you have shower facilites etc I can understand you not wanting to let the kids done but you will let them done more if you are sick for ages because of a bad decision to go. As I said wait and see how long you are in hospital for and how you are when you come out. Good Luck and look after yourself.
Unread 02-28-2005, 06:47 AM

I haven't had any surgery yet but am having lap done on March 10th to see what is going on. From what I have read I don't think it would be a wise move to go on a camping trip so soon after major surgery. I personally would not even consider it. I agree with the other ladies, I would postpone until a later date. Your recovery is far more important. The kids will get over being disappointed, you, on the other hand may not heal so well by pushing yourself.

Vicki
Unread 02-28-2005, 06:49 AM

Ditto all the way, honey!!! I think all the sisters are looking out for your best interest here no matter what a heel it makes you feel like to the kids! Wouldn't they rather go when mom can enjoy the trip with them and hv comfort and relaxation? The one thing to keep in mind, too, some of us have had uneventful recoveries, and posted it, to find out that as the healing progress went along, and each day, you'd do a little more and more, short outings, ect, you FEEL IT!!!!! So, don't even hold out till the last minute, feel pretty good, and go because you felt good THAT particular day, because it is amazing how each day brings different things to light. I am at 10days post-op, today, when I was 4 days post-op, I was all about getting bk to work, priding myself on my speedy recovery, ect, but guess what????? TODAY, I am contemplating more time needed, just to get the well deserved rest and recup time BEFORE I go back!!!!!
Unread 02-28-2005, 07:07 AM

Oh gosh, I can't even imagine going camping that soon! At nine days post-op from my TAH, I hadn't even ventured out yet!

Not only that, but sanitary conditions while camping are never the best, and there's a real chance of infection in your incision from the "natural dirt" that's part of the camping experience.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? I think he or she would quickly squash this idea.

Reschedule for a later time, when you'll be up and around and able to enjoy the trip. I think you'd just be too miserable if you go so soon.

s,

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register