Going back to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work Going back to work

Unread 02-28-2005, 12:53 AM
Going back to work

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow that I had surgery. I had a DR appt last Thursday and asked about going back to work, Dr suggest I wait another week!!! I am afraid I am going to get used to this being at home, and will have trouble getting back into the "swing of things".
Any suggestions? Also have fears of being left behind at work. I feel like I should be there.
Doctor has also been stingy with pain meds. He felt like I should not need them after 1 week leaving hospital. I feel like I could still benefit from a little pain relief at times (Ibuprofen makes my stomach hurt). Any suggestions on pain relief?
Hanging in, but feeling left out. Anyone else feel the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2005, 04:56 AM
Going back to work

Hi blueskys,
Go to your local chemist, if you can take codeine, they are very good for the pain. You can but this in many tablets but I take a Panadeine 15 when I still need something, I am 2 wks post op 2morrow as well. I too am itching to get back to work, it's hard sitting around at home isn't it?
Gabi
Unread 02-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Going back to work

Hi, my 2 wk post-op isn't till Fri, I go to Dr for first checkup on Thursday and was all excited about talking to him to go bk to work part time ASAP due to boredom and I feel so darn good....BUT.....the more I hv thought about it, the more I think I want a little extra time-I, also, have fears about being left behind, the boredom at home at times, makes me think I need to be bk to work, but then I worry I won't be able to tolerate it yet. I had my first REAL outing last night and I tell ya, this morning I feel it, not pain, just beat. How weird to think something like a short 2-3 hour outing consisting of mostly sitting, can wash you out like that!!!! I hv a desk job, but at home I can sit here and go lie when I feel ouchy from sitting up so long, won't be able to do that once i go back to work. My thoughts for today on it are to hold out, at least till I hv been out a full 3 wks before I decide, so right at the moment, that puts me at the 14th-I'll keep ya posted!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Going back to work

Hi,

The recommended recovery period from an abdominal surgery is 6 to 8 weeks. You really shouldn't even be thinking of going back to work so soon. There are just too many complications which can occur from rushing back to normal activity too soon.

Work will ALWAYS be there, but your health won't be if you don't take care of yourself now and allow your body the time it needs to heal.

You only get one chance at a good recovery, and this is it. Please take another few weeks. Your body will thank you for years to come.

s,

Lisa
Unread 02-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Going back to work

So true----just because you feel good right at this moment, it does not mean that you are healed. The majority of sisters also have setbacks around the 3-4 week mark. There is a reason that docs give you all that time off. Don't rush yourself to go to work, work will always be there, no matter when you return.
If you utilize your time at home, boredom should not be in the picture.
You will never (hopefully) have this much time off in your life. Take advantage of it and take a look at yourself and your life. Rearrange priorities, change things that you don't like about your life. Find yourself, so to speak. Don't spend your time recovering and wasting it...use it for good. But please don't rush back to work, you will probably regret it. Also remember it takes 6-12 months to completely heal from this surgery.
Unread 02-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Going back to work

I know how you feel. I felt the same way. At first I was only going to take 2 weeks off after my LSH, but I realized that it wasn't enough time. You really do need all the rest you can get to help recover from this. I will be going back to work this week, it will be 4 weeks. I'm still nervous about not hurting anything and ending up back at home. But I'm feeling pretty good, so hopefully it will all go smoothly. Just take as much time as you need to make sure you heal.

Unread 02-28-2005, 10:30 AM
going back to work

Hi Bluskys
If you are not even 3 weeks along post op, you are really not far along at all in your recovery. I am a little past 4 weeks now, and I thought I would be going back at 4 weeks.

I had a doctor's appt. last week and told him I wanted to be off another two weeks, that I still felt tired and just not up to sitting at my desk all day. It's a good thing I did, because my husband came down with the flu, then I did, then granddaughter got sick over the weekend. So today, I am trying to regain energy that I had over a week ago.

Regarding your job. I learned a good lesson 3 years ago. I had to be off work 5 months because of a major blood clot in my leg. I worried about my job the whole time. It did me no good at all to worry about it. The boss I had harrassed me the whole time I was off until I called in our union. Needless to say that's when they said I should go ahead and take the time I needed to recover without fear of losing my job. My boss retired before I went back to work and when I went back we had a new boss who is a Christian woman and very nice.

Also, I found out that time marches on and so does the job. Believe me if you aren't there they will find a body to fill the spot, no matter what.
Not trying to discourage you, just saying that even if we couldn't work, etc. life goes on and the jobs go on.

I would recommend resting and drinking your water and enjoying your recovery as much as you can.

I'm just concerned for your health.

Sandy in Kansas
Unread 02-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Thank you for the feedback

Thank you all for the feedback on going back to work. I am afraid I am rushing things and may only make things worse in the long run. I am HOME today.
I have been reading the articles and postings on this web site since before my surgery. I have also vistited other sites and this site is by far the BEST.
It is nice to know there is a place I can go and talk to people who are going through the same thing, at the same time. Wow.

I will keep reading, and hopefully one day be able to give some feedback and help to someone else.
Thanks again.
Unread 02-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Going back to work

I worried about things at work before my surgery, but now, not at all. I figure this is my health and nothing is more important than that, not even a job. They miss me and will be glad when I come back, I've spoken to them several times, but I'm certainly not going to let it affect my recovery. I had this surgery to eliminate problems and I won't let overdoing it create new ones. Besides, once I go back, it will be quite a while before I get any more time off, so I'm enjoying it while I can.
Unread 02-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Going back to work

I am so glad to hear you have re thought your decision about going back to work so soon! I felt more miserable at the three and four week point as nerves were coming back in it wasn't until six weeks that I felt good. Let me caution you when you decide to go back to go back slowly like part time and work up to full time if you can do it. The exhaustion will be your freind for a long time. It still hits me even at almost a year. It will be a year this sat.
I would use the time to reflect and enjoy this time off. I know I enjoyed my time off tremendously as I got to see the world from a slower point of view and got to meet people I never knew. I had my boredom but I had this site and I had the phone.
take care you will be back at work before you know it and will then wish for being back home.
let us know how your doing.
teresa
you want your insides to heal from all the sutures the recovery is a year this is your initial recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register