I have a surgery date. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have a surgery date. I have a surgery date.

Unread 01-26-2001, 09:01 PM
I have a surgery date.

Thursday I got the date for my hysterectomy. It will be Feb. 5. Sure is close! There seems to be so much to do before then. How do you all fit that stuff in, like stocking the freezer with casseroles, the cupboards with groceries, figuring out the kids schedules and adjustments,delegating my Church obligations to someone else? At this moment it seems overwhelming.

I am not too worried about the surgery. I have an enlarged uterus with fibroid tumors that are pressing into it. I will be able to keep at least one and, Lord willing, both of my ovaries. At the same time I will get a "bladder tack" that my enlarged uterus has helped give me embarassing problems. It will be so nice to not have these problems to worry about! Thanks for sharing all your information by the way! I took the list of pre-op questions to the Dr. and it helped me not get too side tracked or forget important things. When he first told me that I needed the op, Dec. 28, I walked out without even finding out how long recovery would be. I had to call the nurse to see if I should not attend college this semester. OK, I am rambling. Cindy Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2001, 07:39 AM
I have a surgery date.

Cindy Lou,
Once they tell you the date it does seem to make it all seem more real.
I know what you mean about trying to get everything done . It seems like all I do is make lists of things to do before.
I have over a month before mine ( March 12th )but trying to get the bills paid a little ahead and training people at work to take over while I will be out seems endless. I don't have any children so I don't have that worry. I don't know how people with children manage but it sounds like you have a good handle on things.
I also left the doctors office without asking some questions too. I have a couple more appointments before my date so I am making yet another list for that. I do know from having a similar surgery that I will be out of work at least 6 weeks.
I hope that you get to keep your ovaries. I am having a TAH/BSO. One of the problems I have is severe endometriosis so keeping the ovaries is not an option for me.
I wish you the best on your surgery and a speedy recovery.
PS, I like your name!
Cindy Lynn
Unread 01-27-2001, 07:48 AM
I have a surgery date.

Hey you two! Are we the three musketeers or stooges or what? My surgery is Monday. Fibroids, cysts, precancerous cervix for about 13 years and endometriosis. Imagine being nervous at parting with all that?!?!?!?

Don't make the mistake I made by trying to read up on things. Just stick to your doctor and this site. All your questions will be more than answered right here. This is great!

Cyndi Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2001, 09:56 AM
I have a surgery date.

Oh WOW, This is great. I have to admit I am a very big Stooges fan so I would have to vote for that one.
I know what you mean about not reading to much. I am going by how I feel and how my doctor feels on this.
There is no way I am going to miss any of these body parts.
In fact I will be glad to see them go! They don't get along well together or play nice.
I guess with your surgery on Monday you will be the senior member of this group. I know as far as the stooges go that would be Moe, not to sure who it would be with the Musketeers.
I am having my TAH/BSO because of severe endo,fibroids, cysts and heavy bleeding.
I will be thinking good thoughts your way on Monday. Please write back and let me know how you make out.
Cindy Lynn
Unread 01-27-2001, 10:24 AM
I have a surgery date.

Oh WOW, This is great. I have to admit I am a very big Stooges fan so I would have to vote for that one.
I know what you mean about not reading to much. I am going by how I feel and how my doctor feels on this.
There is no way I am going to miss any of these body parts.
In fact I will be glad to see them go! They don't get along well together or play nice.
I guess with your surgery on Monday you will be the senior member of this group. I know as far as the stooges go that would be Moe, not to sure who it would be with the Musketeers.
I am having my TAH/BSO because of severe endo,fibroids, cysts and heavy bleeding.
I will be thinking good thoughts your way on Monday. Please write back and let me know how you make out.
Cindy Lynn
Unread 01-27-2001, 12:18 PM
I have a surgery date.

Hi Cindy Lynn and Cyndi J,
This is so cool! I have been reading the posts on this site off and on since Dec. but didn't feel "qualified" to post until I had an affirmative that the Dr. was correct.

At my last visit he explained what my probs were. He said that by the description of my symptoms that I too probably have some endo problems but it doesn't sound anything like what others have. I guess my symptoms and problems are mostly being caught relatively early. For that I am very thankful. He said I would probably have some adhesions around one of my ovaries and possibly the endo has affected it. If he can't clean it up then he will take it but he will do his best to avoid doing that.

Stooges? I want to be a muskateer! Dartanion (sp is totally unfrench!) is my favorite. But in all truth, I am a stooge. Have to admit it.

Cyndi, I will be praying for a great outcome for you on Monday! Take care, both of you. I am off to Costco to buy in bulk to keep us in groceries for most of the duration. At least I hope.

I have a ? Doc says I will have a hysterectomy and leave the ovaries. He will take the cervix (is that a given?) And is this what is meant by a TAH? Is the bladder tack a BSO? Cindy
Unread 01-27-2001, 03:16 PM
I have a surgery date.

Hi Cindy's! I'm really a Cynthia. How's about you guys?

TAH is Total abdominal hysterectomy. That would be uterus and cervix, although in some cases the cervix is left.

BSO is bilateral salpingo/oopherectomy. (long time since med terminology. Spelling is off) That means both tubes and both ovaries are going too.

I'm unsure as to when they would leave a cervix. I don't think that would be the norm. Maybe post that question to get it answered better.

Monday is coming fast. I'm so nervous in my tummy!!! Had an ear infection crop up that could delay surgery but they got me started on antibiotics today and decongestants. I feel less pressure already. I would be devastated to get cancelled since I am so psychologically driven to get this over with.

Cyndi
Unread 01-27-2001, 06:13 PM
I have a surgery date.

Hi Cyndi,
I am a Cynthia too. I hated it until I grew up. Now it isn't so bad. I totally hated Cindy Lou but I don't even mind that now.
Thank you for the medical terminology. I saw the explanations on this site once but have forgotten where. And I guess I just haven't gotten motivated to hunt them down again.
I understand your nervousness. You just can't help it. but you have trust and confidence in your health care providers and that is great. So, take a relaxing bath, we won't be able to for awhile after surgery, have a glass of wine or some tea, take deep breaths and calm down some. A friend of mine who has gone through this says I will be so thankful a year from now. I will have no pain, no periods, won't be so tired etc..... We will appreciate it!
Unread 01-27-2001, 06:30 PM
I have a surgery date.

Oh my goodness, I am a Cynthia too. I am not sure why they named me that because no one has ever called me that not even my mother when she was mad at me.
I agree with Cyndi Lou. A hot bath glass of wine or tea and a good book will do you wonders. Just keep how good you are going to feel after you recover. That is what is keeping me sane.

Unread 01-27-2001, 07:04 PM
I have a surgery date.

That is so true. Focusing on how much better we will feel really helps cut some of the anxiety. I think my reproductive health, if that is what you call it, has been so lousy for so long that I don't even realize the physical drain it has been. Can't really imagine life without the abdominal and leg pain let alone the bleeding that doesn't allow you to leave home for a couple of days a month. I also have a seizure disorder that is made worse by hormones. Mine are so up and down and all over that I am hoping losing these ovaries and being on a steady dose of Estrogen will help me in that area too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register