Question about Spinach/supplements | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Eating Right for Wellness

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Spinach/supplements Question about Spinach/supplements

Unread 02-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Arrow - Question about Spinach/supplements Question about Spinach/supplements

I really want to know if spinach is good or bad for post menopause. I read on the Internet that factors that may decrease calcium absorption are high oxalates e.g. spinach. I have been eating a spinach salad for lunch for months. I also take calcium supplements. I also read in a nutrition guide that spinach (1/2 cup boiled) contains 122.4 mg. of calcium.

I also supplement with fiber because I have diverticulosis. Fiber is another factor in decreased calcium absorption.

Then I read on the back of my vitamin bottle that long-term intake of vitamin A may increase the risk of osteoporosis in post menopausal women.

I also have hypothyroidism and certain supplements are not to be used with the medication I take for that.

What gives? I need some advice. Am I shooting myself in the foot trying to stay healthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Question about Spinach/supplements

Hi,

I take prescribed calcium supplements for oestereoporosis, and also took iron supplements for anaemia, and I was told by the doctor that the for the iron to be absorbed I shouldn't eat/drink anything that inhibits absorbtion within 1 hour either side (that includes tea - tannin). The best time to take the calcium supplement was also after the evening meal (approx 6 onwards).

I was on iron for years prior to that and didn't realise why the tablets weren't working.

Hope that partially answers your query. If you want any more info please ask.

Palo
Unread 02-28-2005, 12:03 PM

Yeah, like Palo says, basically, the safest route is to take the calcium separately. I wouldn't count much on the calcium in spinach toward the 1500 mg a day we're supposed to be getting. The reason why the number is so high is precisely because it's hard to absorb.

So with calcium supplements, don't take more than 500 mg at a time (anything over that isn't absorbed) and don't take other pills with your calcium.

My solution is to use the chocolate chews. For some reason, I can remember to take them scattered between meals as snacks.

By the way, remember to get magnesium too, though not necessarily at the same time. There are differing studies on what effect that has, so I take magnesium early in the day.

Basically, taking straight vitamin A isn't looking that good in the current run of studies for a variety of reasons. It's apparently much better to get beta or mixed carotenes and let your body convert it to vitamin A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2005, 05:27 AM

My instructions were to eat as much of my vitamins as possible. Then I could make up the difference with supplements. My DR gave me a questionaire on calcium, and found I get plenty in my diet. I still supplement before bed for added secuity. Only my next bone density test will tell me if I am doing good.
Unread 03-10-2006, 11:03 PM

ive been taking a cal/mag vit for over a yr now its 650mg does that mean its not being absorbed?what? why do they sell thatm like that then. please let me know ???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register