medication question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

medication question medication question

Unread 02-28-2005, 09:18 PM
medication question

I see alot about self injected pain med immediately after surgery in here.
Is it something you must ask about at pre op appointment?
Is it a common method or pill medications, ie(Vicodin or Tylenol with Codeine?
Having repairs for bladder prolapse, vaginal wall prolapse, rectole rebuilt, and hysterectomy.
I will ask at Pre op the 11th but I also understand pain tolerance is a personal thing too.
So is it that much an OUCH????

I think it will be.
Should one try to go with as minimal amount as possible and just bear it?
Am taking the Vit C and Gas X with me.

luuucy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Meds

The paid meds are given through your IV. Mine were given automatically. They stop that and switch to oral meds once the IV is removed. I think you'll need something immediately after the surgery.
Unread 02-28-2005, 09:53 PM
medication question

I could only handle demeral injections, once at home I could only take tyelnol extra stength, even with the gravel evreything else made me sick. I managed, even though I thought i'd be better off jumping off a bridge, but each day got easier, and at 10 days I'd felt like I didn't even have surgery. I'm five months, and can't believe its only been five months, seems like years ago. Every one is differnt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2005, 10:02 PM
medication question

Hi!
I think you might be referring to the "pump" you may have heard about for post-op pain. Another "sister" would have more insight for you on that subject than I have. Post-op pain meds for me was by injection (in the rear!) - given regularly for the first 24 hours, then switched to oral pain meds and then by day 3 was on extra strength ibuprofen. Had no problems with nausea either, which was great! They have come SO far with all of this - they don't want the pain to get ahead of you.

I know some people have had the "pump".
Keep asking questions.........this site was SO helpful to me - someone always knows just what to say.
Blessings to you.
AMF

TAH/kept ovaries - 7/19/04 - adenomyosis,fibroid,heavy bleeding
FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!
Unread 02-28-2005, 10:31 PM
medication question

Hi,

Don't try to go without pain meds. If you need them, ask for them. Your body heals much faster if it's not having to expend extra energy in fighting pain.

The pain pump is great. Mine had morphine, but it made me You can get medication to control nausea (I actually was given anti-nausea meds, but my IV kept infiltrating, so they were just going into the tissue of my upper arm and not where they needed to go.) Once the IV was out, I was given Demerol, which worked great.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 02-28-2005, 10:51 PM
medication question

I GOT HOME FROM THE CASTLE ON 2-24-05 HAD A TVH FOR FIBROIDS - ABNORMAL BLEEDING. I HAD THE MORPHINE PUMP - AND WHAT YOU DO WITH THAT IS JUST PRESS THE BOTTON WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO. THIS WAS GREAT - YOU WON'T OVERDOSE BECAUSE IT IS MEASURED ACCORDING TO YOUR WEIGHT - SO NO WORRIES THERE - I HAD NO WITH THIS MEDICATION. I WAS ALSO GIVEN TORADOL, THIS IS A ANTI-INFLAMATORY (NON NORCATIC) THESE TWO MEDICATIONS WORKED WELL FOR ME. I AM NOW TAKING PERCOCET & ALEVE THIS TO IS WORKING WELL FOR ME. YOU MIGHT WANT TO PACK SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE TEAS TO TAKE TO THE CASTLE - IT'S SO NICE TO HAVE A NICE HOT CUP WHILE IN BED WATCHING TV. IF YOU HAVE A FAVORITE MUG BRING THAT AS WELL.

TAKE CARE SIS. I WISH YOU GOOD HEALTH
Unread 03-01-2005, 06:27 AM
medication question

Hi Luuucy, wave:

One of the things I have focusing on to help me stay positive here still in pre op land is an excerpt from a book I have about hyters/ It tell us woman, especially more mature woman, tend to want to try to do without pain meds. They highly recommend staying ahead of the pain. Meaning not waiting till it is excruciating before giving in to it. . From medical standpoint, when we are in pain it can lead to elevated blood pressure, shallow breathing, splinting.. which is a decrease in mobility and and increase in heart rate. In other words, it is best for you from a medical stand point to manage your pain. I am choosing to believe they will honestly try to do this, even if this is their only reasoning. Now is not the time to become a martyr. I sure hope this helps you as much as it did me.
Best Wishes,
W/B:
Unread 03-01-2005, 07:06 AM
medication question

Hi again!
Yes.......this is what I spoke about in my previous mesage.....staying ahead of the pain. Believe me, it helps tremendously!!!! Don't hesitate to ask for meds if you are uncomfortable. You'll want to be as relaxed as possible and being pain free obviously helps with that. Again, I had no "pump" but had good meds!
Keep asking those questions..........and be sure to ask your doctor as well.
Blessings to you!
AMF
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:52 AM
medication question

Thank You All so much for your replies.
I tend to find Vicodin makes me hyper not relaxed. I well remember the days of Demerol shots in the hiney. OUCH!!
Have seen alot of different meds mentioned here to utilize in asking for the best suited to my body.
I am ok with the surgery but as I am having a bladder repair and rectole repair(cut from A## to tea kettle) along with the hysterectomy I was rather worried about staying on top of the pain.
I heal fairly quickly and well but I think this ones gonna be a big OUCHY!!!

Thanks Again,

lucy
Unread 03-01-2005, 01:20 PM
medication question

Hi Lucy,
I don't know about you, but I plan on being up front with both my surgeons ( I am getting a 3 for 1 special too, ha ha ) about all of my concerns. I will leave it up to them to pick what they feel will give me the best pain control, and take it from there.. She plans to start with a PCA pump with morphine then switch to oral percoset. I have never had either one of them. Demerol makes me feel drunk and sleepy, but I still hurt. Tylenol 3 in the past has not done well with pain.. but that is just my body. I have a list of things I will go over with them, and the "A" man before surgery, too. From I don't want to wake up throwing up or in horrible pain to I want my teeth back in my head in the recovery room..
List making is what is keeping me sane and focused these days.
Best of luck to you,
W/B

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register