6 weekers--how's it going? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weekers--how's it going? 6 weekers--how's it going?

Unread 03-02-2005, 05:26 AM
6 weekers--how's it going?

My six-week hysterversary (TAH, kept ovaries) is today. I cannot believe that just 42 days ago I was lying in a hospital bed in my fashionable gown and socks with IVs snaking everywhere and the mother-of-all bandages adhered to my abdomen!

Other than a few minor back aches and persistent constipation, I feel great! The swelly belly is subsiding, as is the tenderness in the scar area (bikini cut). I've lost 10 pounds and am determined to keep it off. Sex with DH is proceeding slowly (mostly due to reluctance on my part), but we will work on that....With my doctor's consent and heeding his do-not-do list, I went back to work in the cafe for a few hours a day at the four-week mark but am now back full-time.

Somehow, I feel that this is a new beginning to the rest of my life. (Does anyone else feel this way?) I only wish that I had not waited until age 51 to reach this point. Prior to the surgery, I was, to roughly quote Wynonna Judd--"not on the list," i.e., I always put everyone else first--children, husband, job--and was not attentive to my own health and aging issues. So I've vowed to eat healthfully, exercise faithfully and thrive emotionally. Life is good!

Hope other six-weekers are doing well! I would love to hear your thoughts and stories!

--Anna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2005, 08:00 AM

Hi Anna,

I had my 6 week yesterday. Doc said everything looks great internally and my abdominal incision is a-o.k. I'm definitely feeling better than I was at 4 and 5, although I think I did too much walking early on and felt a lot of achiness at that time. My backaches are subsiding and my legs are better.
I still seem to tire easier than before, but I figure, who wouldn't????!!!! DH and I finally could make love last night and it was just as wonderful as pre-op, perhaps even better!

Glad to hear you're feeling well. But my heart is heavy for those of us who aren't...

I wish you continued good health! Remember to take cat naps when you feel the need to.

Unread 03-02-2005, 08:53 AM

I am exactly 6 weeks post op today and things are pretty much back to normal. I still have some "tightness" in the abdomen, kind of like when I used to do too many sit-ups. Otherwise, pretty good.
I'm back to work full-time, driving, walking, etc. I have my 6-week post op check up tommorrow so hopefully will be cleared for all else.
The only trouble I'm having is emotionally. I don't know if it's surgery related or not, but I am just DOWN. Could be the cold too, although winter has never really bothered me before. (I live in Minnesota). DH is being yukky as are both DD's. I just so irritated so easily lately!
Unlike the first post, however, I have gained weight so am very jealous of those who actually lost. I'm only about 6 pounds over my pre-surgery weight, but cannot seem to get it off and that too is bothering me big time!
Best of luck to each of you! I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2005, 09:30 AM

Hi,
Monday was my 6 week date I'm doing ok, did have a couple areas of my cut pull apart at about 2 weeks still have one that just does not want to heal. I have not went back to work yet that will be on 3-14. I have gained about 5 pounds that bums me out, I hoped to lose some. Still have some swelly belly, and burning feeling at times. I'm back to doing all the house work, laundry, meals, shopping for food and house hold, starting at about 3 weeks, taking care of my 2 year old grandaughter (she lives with us) and 7 year old grandaughter three days after school for 4-5 hours a day and almost every weekend. I have a post-op appt next week and should be cleared for everything then.

HUG to all
Diana
Unread 03-02-2005, 09:43 AM

I'm a little past 6 weeks...went back to work Monday and made the mistake of moving 2 tables...sore last night. Still take Colace and eat an occasional prune, but all-in-all am doing better day by day. I'm glad I had the surgery as they found cancer and report to have nipped it in the bud...was a shocker to me, so I'm thankful I didn't wait til summer. At times, tho, I feel if I've been kicked in the stomach by a mule!!
Unread 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Had my six week check up today, All healed and return to a normal life, can't wait for tonight with DH.
Unread 03-02-2005, 09:21 PM
6 weeks out

I will be six weeks out on March 5th. I will be going back to work on Monday, March 7th. I am at times feeling ok.. but every now and then get pains from hell. I will have my 6 week check this Friday March 4th. I am still get down every now and then.. Thinking I should not have had the surgery. I was rushed to emergency and the ER doctor after doing several test, called my OB-GYN Dr and he said... I am calling my team in to do the surgery.

I had postponed this surgery for about one year.. But I guess my body made the decision for me.

Being 43... I just feel that I was to young to have something like this done. I am sure my emotion are getting the best of me right now...This sight has really helped me...

012305 TAH... left one O.
Unread 03-02-2005, 10:12 PM

6 weeks yesterday. Feel pretty much back to normal. Working out, sex with Dh, driving. Not in that order. LOL stoped the patch today so hopefully I can stay on the same path.

One thing that is a little strange is that I'm having a little pain on both sides around the spot where my overies are. Not sure if it's from stomach work or maybe overies kicking back in?? Anyone else having this problem?

I'm happy so many of you are doing better.

Sirap
Unread 03-03-2005, 05:51 AM

I was 6 weeks yesterday. At the five-week mark, the nurse practitioner took a look and said I wasn't healing as fast as she would have expected, which wasn't really what I wanted to hear. I'm still bleeding most days, kind of a bright pink. Some days I can get by with panty liners and some days I can't. I still have lots of pain around the belly button area for some reason, but not every day. And I can tell when it's time to sit down for a while and rest because I start feeling "heavy" and feel like everything is going to come dropping out of the vagina! Gross!

I always considered myself a fast healer, and I've tried to take good care of myself, so I'm a bit discouraged. And since the vaginal cuff was still red and not healed as much as she liked, the nurse practitioner said no sex until at least week 7.

Swelly belly is better, but not by much. I can wear my very largest pair of jeans which were too big before surgery, but only if I leave the top unbuttoned, and that's after losing about 5 pounds since the surgery. I was only 110 to start with, so DH keeps trying to fatten me back up to my normal weight.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register