Constipation and PAIN - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation and PAIN Constipation and PAIN

Unread 03-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Constipation and PAIN

I posted this on a similiar thread ... constipation is so common with ovarian cysts or post surgery. My favorite remedy is Cal Mag - a perfect proportion of calcium and magnesium. You can find it at most health food stores. In addition to getting overnight, gentle relief, you also get a great calcium and magnesium supplement.

Just be careful and don't overdo the first application! About 3/4 of a teaspoon in a little water goes a very long way!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Constipation and PAIN

Big Hugs!

I am 8 days as well and became impacted what a nightmare, my mother had to literally assit me.

Yesterday morning after being up all night I was finally able to get some major relief. At the cost of a hemriod which has proven very painfull.

Today was much better, just some pressure and I am moving my bowels but it doesnt seem to move everything.. it still feels as if there is more. I have been on stool softner and eating lots of fruits and nuts along with my regular salads, it has'nt seemed to be enough though.

Tonight has brought some light spotting and pain in my lower abdomen, and I have taken it very easy since yesterday.

More hugsssssssssssss

Katilynn
Unread 03-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Constipation

Hello,

I too have major constipation issues and I never had them before my surgery. I tried stool softeners, metamucil, dulcolax, pruns and prun juice but what has seem to help is this tea I bought from GNC SMOOTH MOVE. It doesen't make me feel funny like all the other stuff I have tried and it is natural. It has been three weeks for me and still I nned this help so I think the body needs a long time to addjust after the surgery.
Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Finally

Hi there again,
I have made moving my bowels my mission. I have gone on-line and discovered how much fiber my body is supposed to have daily. I have learned about how much water and the need for "lubrication" (this comes in the form of mineral oil, castor oil, or flax seed oil). I have done a complete dietary change. I never thought I would have to do that.

I am an eggs and sausage breakfast eater. Or I just have a cup of tea and a big glass of milk.

NOW, I have a large cup of English Breakfast or Irish Black tea. I have a 16 oz glass of prune juice and a full serving of Arrowhead 7 grain hot cereal.

For lunch I would have whatever school lunch the middle school students I teach would eat (YUCK!) and a diet coke.

NOW, I have some dried fruit, a sparking water, and some pasta and vegetable thing.

For dinner I would have a large piece of meat, a starch , and a vegetable (salad, broccoli etc.)

NOW, I have, for example, an organic salad with fresh veggies, spinich pasta with pesto, and a 4-6 oz grilled chicken breast with water (and a lemon) and a small SMALL glass of red wine.

Oh...I am still taking 2 senekot tablets a day.

Finally - for the first time in MONTHs, I have had a normal, soft BM. It took less than 1 painless minute in the bathroom. It used to take 30-45 minutes and a library of reading to keep my mind off the pain.

I read that once you have a normal movement, don't think the diet change is over. It is a life change. It's a FOREVER change.

Well... it isn't bad for me. But, like those who go on a diet to lose and control their weight - I am on a diet to control my bowel function.

So Ms. Ma'm's... this is something to think about.

What do you think?
- KLZ
Unread 03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Constipation and PAIN

I'm now in week 6. They let me go home from the hospital halfway into day 4 (counting the operation day) in the hospital because I'd passed gas. I too had a lot of noise going on in the hospital and they I was advised to get some Colase while I was getting the going home pain med prescription filled. I used that and the prune juice I had on ice at home before the operation but it was day 6 before I had results. Gas-X also helped me. Things were going okay until last week. I'd picked up a cold on my 2nd check up visit, was a few days into it. and was at the grocery store with my caretaker mother. I had several aborted attempts in the restroom there before a very painful BM followed by a very easy one.

It's been like that since then and it's been complicated more by this crud I have that's been hanging on. The thought of food turns my stomach at the moment and I've had nausea. I think I'm having a reaction to the Premarin. I called the surgeon's office and she says I had flu(now in its 11th day?) rather than a cold (my Primary Care Physician thought it was a cold or allergy)and it was probably that. Meanwhile, I'm having trouble getting anything into me even comfort foods.

I had a talk about the problem (before it got worse this week) at my 2nd check-up asking if things were ever going to get back to how they were pre-op and was assured they would. I have the feeling that recovery is like a roller coaster and I just took a plunge.

Japuli
Unread 03-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Constipation and PAIN

otion: My magic potion has been Ex-Lax Milk of Magnesia (Berries and Cream)..with 2 Dulcolax Stool softners..EVERYDAY !

Before I went home from the hostpial (was only in 24 hours) my doc., told me to take this for this first 7-8 days and to keep everything falling out..She didn't want me to push at all. So, this is what I did..I noticed after 4 days that I had a little blood and I called and she said skip it for a day or so, and I did, I must say that I have been blessed that the constipation monster never snuck up on me.

Bless you gals !!
Unread 03-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Constipation and PAIN

Hi there,
I too have been suffering since my tah 7 weeks ago. All the colase, prunes and water are not helping much. I have hemmroids terriby that bleed a lot. I asked my surgen at my check up and he suggested I follow up with my family doctor. I don't have any answers for you- I wish I did I hust wanted to let you know that I hear this problem is common. hlb.
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Constipation and PAIN

Thank you, for your posts it has been a bit frustrating.

The bowels are moving somewhat but the pressure remains constant.

I did figure out a little trick with my mother's help. Not to sit on the potty but to squat down to pee.. this has helped and is giving me a little relief. Cus everytime I sit down on the potty my bowels feel they need to move and there doesn't seem to be anything there! So it makes the hemroids flare. And I never had hemoriod's before this ..<sighs>

Hugsss Katilynn
Unread 03-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Constipation and PAIN

Hi there, I just wanted to put in my two cents. My LAVH was 14 weeks ago. I am still working on this problem, currently I am trying something I bought over the internet, COLONEX, It promises great things and even though its expensive, I thought at least these are herbs. I wonder if all the pain meds and other meds have made things worse in the colon. I would like to remedy this with out more pills or chemicals!

Why is this matter not addressed better before we go through with this radical surgery? So many hystersisters have colon or bladder problems afterwards. It should be anticipated and advice should be given to last the many months we have to endure before complete recovery. I know some ladies are lucky and recover quicker, but most or at least many seem to have these problems for months!

I keep waiting for Spring. I keep invisioning energy, no pain, and warmth to invite me outside every day! May you all feel better very soon. Hugs, C.Anne
Unread 03-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Constipation and PAIN

Congratulations on bringing up a topic that is near and dear to a lot of us!! What has been working for me is taking one Senokot (over the counter stool softener) before bedtime. Lots of water and fiber.

I have noticed that no one has mentioned one of my favorite natural laxatives and that is rhubarb. You can usually find it in the frozen fruit section at the grocery store. The taste of rhubarb is not for everyone, but I love it cooked with some sugar and cinnamon. Have a bowl or two of that a day and it really helps.

Best of luck to everyone! -Kestrel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register