2 weeks & 3 days still in pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks & 3 days still in pain 2 weeks & 3 days still in pain

Unread 03-03-2005, 11:30 AM
2 weeks & 3 days still in pain

Just wondering how many sisters are still in a lot of pain and
having to still take pain meds. I have tryed just taking advil and
that does not work at all. And sometimes after taking my pain
meds I'm still in pain or they only last for 3-3 1/2 hours. I did not
expect to be hurting like this with having a tvh (a little over two
weeks ago). I guess I just thought I would only need the pain
meds, for a week or a week and a half at the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 12:08 PM

I am 3 weeks post-op (yesterday) and I am still taking Percocet and Anaprox for pain. Usually one dose of these two during the day and again at bedtime. When this is gone I think I will either need more or else maybe my Dr will downgrade me to Lortab or something else.

I think that Dr's are so worried that you are going to get hooked on this stuff that they under-prescribe it and we suffer a lot more pain than we need to. I've taken a few OTC's (trying to conserve my Rx meds) and they are useless for this kind of pain!

I'm sure a few people abuse their Rx meds, but I think that 99% of us who have gone through this just want some good pain relief! With all of the wonderful options now available, it's too bad that we have to fight so hard to get it!

JMHO!!
Unread 03-03-2005, 12:22 PM

My dr has me on percocet, they just gave me a refill 4 days ago.
I was on demerol in the castle. I don't understand why they only
gave me 30 pills with no refill when they sent me home from the
castle. I was having to take them every 3 1/2 to 4 hours, even
through the night, cause I was waking up all through the night
in bad pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 01:39 PM

sorry to hear about the pain
maybe you should call the dr and find out if that is normal. I had a TAH, after an hour of dr trying a TVH. I am 2 weeks post, and have been off pain meds for 4 days. So, that is why I am wondering what it can be.
My friend had a TVH, and did too much, pulled the stitches, started bleeding, and that set her back a week or so.. Please take care, and heal soon. I am praying for you.
Unread 03-03-2005, 02:42 PM

Percocet is a Class 2 Federally controlled substance. They cannot do a refill on it - you have to go to your Dr, in person, and get a new written Rx for it. They cannot call it in over the phone either. And, you will have to show picture ID when you go to the pharmacy with the new Rx. Gee - can you tell I've done this or what???

My pain is not excruciating, but I can tell you I sure feel a lot more comfortable with taking the Percocet. I can feel myself needing it less and less the longer I am post-op, but there are some days, when I've overdone a little or I'm just having a lot of aching all over that it is so nice to have it.

I truly believe your body can heal better if you are not physically and mentally fatigued by constant pain and discomfort. It's also nice for DH and DK's not to have to listen to the moaning and groaning even though I try to keep it to myself!
Unread 03-04-2005, 05:46 AM

Definitely it's looking like par for the course! It's so frustrating isn't it? It seems like I was better last week. I have two unruly boys and it is getting really hard to maintain order without a commanding presence. As my mother always says, "this, too, shall pass." Sigh.
Unread 03-04-2005, 07:22 AM

I know I would be healing faster if I could have a normal bm, and
stop getting blocked up. And also if I had not done light laundry
and housework earler this week. my nurse got on to me and told
me to leave the housework alone no matter how light it was. And
when I read the checkpoints on this site 3-4 weeks,( which I'm not not even 3 weeks post op yet). I have to tell you that scared
the crap out of me, when it said what could happen if you do to
much to soon. That was my wakeup call. No more housework or
laundry for me till dr says ok. I sure hope I didn't mess anything
up inside me.
Unread 03-04-2005, 09:04 AM

Drs can be a pain when it comes to refilling pain meds and i know this because im having hell when i get refills but #@##@ we arent sitting around enjoying the high we have real pain!! They can make us feel guility about asking for one and even to the point we are afraid to call. Ive been really lucky and have a great Dr (but the nurse can be a pain about it) I had my last prescription filled yesterday but hopefully i wont need any more but if i do im going to ask! Im resting more now but honestly its nice to be out of pain for a few hours so i can get house work done! Its costing me a hella lot getting 30 at a time. I know people are different but pain is pain Drs and some nurses need better training in pain management.
Ok rants over hehe
Unread 03-04-2005, 12:10 PM

Did you try sennekot-s for the constipation? I went 10 days with nothing, then finally took it and it worked the next morning. Also have been eating prunes every day. I'm actually starting to like them. As for housework, I am just now emptying the dishwasher and folding clothes at 3 weeks. I just decided I would have to hire someone until this is over and it has been worth every penny!
I hope you feel better soon - I bet this time next week you will see some improvement.
Hang in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register