Do you bruise more easily now? Yes? No? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you bruise more easily now? Yes? No? Do you bruise more easily now? Yes? No?

Unread 03-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Do you bruise more easily now? Yes? No?

Ever since the surgery, my arms and legs have been getting bruised like crazy. All it takes is bumping into a table or doorway, and I even have pawprint bruises on my thighs from my dog standing on my lap.

I had thought it was caused by Dong Quai, but I stopped taking that a month ago, yet I am still bruising.

The surgeon says this is not related to the surgery. But I went to a regular physician this morning, who says it IS common to bruise easily after major surgery. She sent me to the lab to have blood drawn.

So now I am wondering... is anyone else bruising or not? Is it as common as the doc says? I haven't heard anyone on here complaining of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 08:47 PM

Anyone?
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:34 PM

I have not noticed this. Are you aenemic (I know I spelled that wrong) but have you been tested for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 11:37 PM

A few years ago I used to bruise a lot easier.... to be honest I didn't notice when it stopped... but thinking about it, I believe it could have been when I started my thyroid meds.1999/2000

I didn't notice any increase in bruising after surgery .
Unread 03-04-2005, 07:44 AM

Holy cow- You are describing me. I bruise very easily now, every lttle bump leaces a bruise. I am covered with bruises. I talked to my doc, and he said it is common to bruise after major surgery, but didnt say why, maybe I should ask......
Snickers
Unread 03-04-2005, 07:54 AM

I think you are possibly right to stop the Dong quai as it as one of its actions is to regulate prostoglandins which cause increased blood flow so it must have an effect on the clotting system somewhere. Ive not heard about surgery causing incresed bleeding but your bodies clotting functions may be disrupted. Has your doctor done blood tests to check your clotting time? The whole mechanism of blood clotting is extremely complex and only requires a little thing to throw it out.
apart from wrapping yourself in bubble wrap to stop collisions I cant think of anything else!
take care ...
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:25 AM

I've had no problems with bruising after surgery. If you are bruising so easily, it's good that you're getting this checked out with the dr. Also, anything different nutritionally for you since the surgery - vitamins, foods, etc.?
Good luck.
Unread 03-04-2005, 05:18 PM

No, nothing different... just took the dong quai for about a month to shrink any remaining endo. But, when I found out it could be causing the bruising, I quit taking it a month ago.

It just seemed sort of odd to me that the doc said it is very common to bruise easily after major surgery, but I hadn't seen any other women on here mentioning it.
Unread 03-04-2005, 06:38 PM

Am more sensitive if I bump into something, but not more bruising. I cannot take aspirin products as they make me bruise.. Sounds like doc needs to be consulted if continues. Good luck.

Kozo TLVH-overies taken-rectocelerepair
Unread 03-04-2005, 11:33 PM

You might talk to your doctor about running a von Willebrand's test. This condition is what leads to unusual bleeding and bruising. There are several different 'subtypes' with the least severe being the most common. In that case, the symptoms which include bruising can come and go and are more likely to be present after taking aspirin or other blood thinners.

Just a thought and something to ask your doctor about. This is a common hereditary condition - at least in terms of the less severe subtypes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register