ovary removal 4 yrs after TAH - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovary removal 4 yrs after TAH ovary removal 4 yrs after TAH

Unread 03-09-2005, 07:39 AM
ovary removal 4 yrs after TAH

Hi LeslieB

I had a TAH 3 yrs ago due to adhesion. Kept both ovaries as they were healthy and i was only 35. When you keep your ovaries you still have a cycle and i still suffered with unbarable pain on a monthly basis. It got so bad at one point i fainted with the pain. The docs decided the only alternative was to remove the ovaries as they were more than likely being affected by the adhesions. As the adhesions were so bad on the previous surgery they opted to go through the original bikini scar (this would be the 3rd time) Iam now 4wks post op from the oopherectomy the docs said they had not seen anything like it. They didnt recognise the ovaries as they were totally encased in adhesions which was also attached to the bowel again. Which they cut through during the surgery. I had to stay in hospital a few days longer. The bowel is working fine and its fab not to be in pain. I stared my hrt livial straight away and all seems to be fine. I am taking each day as it comes as advised by my doc as the recovery is the same as the hyst. They have signed me off for 3 mths and i'm not doing too much too soon. My advise to you would be to do the same once your op is over. Hope all goes well for you remember to keep your chin up!

Kind Regards

Fern (also Lesley)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2005, 08:26 AM

Michelle,

The suggestion was freeing, as in set "free," not freeze. But I don't know if that is an option for you, that's why I suggested asking the experts on this. Maybe if it wasn't stuck to the intestine you wouldn't have the problem. ?

Adhesions are caused by the sticky platelets in your blood. Whenever you have surgery, you have bleeding and more adhesions can occur. Basically, they are scar tissue, so yes, every time you are opened up, you can be creating more adhesions.

The normal function of an ovary is to form cyst. This is how the egg is expelled every month. When there are malfunctions in this process you could have what they call polycystic ovaries. There are new ways to control polycystic ovaries and an up to date reproductive endocrinologist would be the type of doctor to address this.

I just want to make sure you realize what ELSE the ovaries do. They are multiple functioning organs, something that has only been really realized in the past few years.

One of the ovaries most important jobs is to help protect us from heart attacks and strokes. (Heart attacks are the number one killer of women these days.) Removing the ovaries puts this already high risk way, way up there for oophorectomized women. And that is just one of a long, long list of things the ovaries contribute to besides fertility.

I know what it's like to have cyst rupture and yes, it's excruciating. But it passes. I know what it's like to sneeze, 4 years after surgery and feel searing pain, even though my ovaries were removed. But worst of all, I know what it's like to have heart problems, strokes, osteopenia, bowel and sexual dysfunction after an oophorectomy. (Just to name a few.) ALL caused by my oophorectomy. Given what I know now, I would NEVER give them up. The worst is that I know the ill effects from oophorectomy can take years to develop so there may be even more health related issues ahead. Assuming, I don't die from a heart attack or stroke first.

Have you been over to the Road Less Traveled or Sexual Dysfunction forums to read what the women there are saying? Also the Hormone Jungle and Desert Oasis? Please read all you can and gather up information on the ovaries and study carefully before you make your final decision. I just to make sure every woman is making a truly informed consent and not one based on outdated information or worse, none at all, (which was my own case).

Best wishes for you in whatever your choice,
Unread 03-09-2005, 09:35 AM

(((Lucille)))

I am very sorry to hear that your oophrectomy left you with issues that you did not anticipate and were not informed about prior to your surgery. I would probably be very angry in your shoes. I hope you have some great physicians helping you to resolve your current issues.

I am glad that you are encouraging women to do their research and to not depend solely on what their doctor tells them. It is our responsibility to take charge of our health and become well informed - to ask good questions and press for answers.

Take care and I hope that all your medical issues are resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2005, 04:37 PM
1 more question for Fern :)

Fern,
Thank you so much for the information - it was very helpful and I am glad you are recovering well and taking care of yourself. One more question I do have tho - when you had your pain were they intermittent or all the time. In my mind, with adhesions it would hurt constantly, but maybe I'm wrong. Mine seemed to be at cycle time, now its getting to be every week or two. Sometimes not too severe, other times it takes my breath away. This is why I feel its adhesions and not cysts. thank you again for the info and please take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register