6 Weeks and still not healed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 Weeks and still not healed 6 Weeks and still not healed

Unread 03-04-2005, 02:43 PM
6 Weeks and still not healed

Hi sisters, I went for my 6 week check up yesterday. I was feeling fine and getting my energy back. I anticipated a good exam but didn't get the good news I wanted. I guess my vaginal cuff is not healed yet. My doctor used silver nitrate, pulled a couple stitches and said to give it one to two more weeks before I continue with my normal activities. The exam was painful but not as painful as I had expected. After the pelvic exam I have had alot of cramping, a little bleeding and overall feel awful and tired. Has anyone else had this happen after their pelvic exam? I am not sure if it is the silver nitrate or just the "invasion" to that area. My doctor is very gentle and like I said the exam didn't hurt that bad. It just hurts now. I feel a bit down but assume that is due to the news of not being healed. Any information would be great.

Thanks so much, LeeAnn

TVH, kept ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 03:07 PM

So sorry to hear your exam didn't go well. I had my 6 week post op yesterday as well. Mine went well, but I am a bit sore today. The only bad thing that happened was that I some really gross almost black discharge afterward. I was freaked when I saw it, so called my doc. She said it was a combination of vaginal cuff stitches that came loose during the pelvic & probably some dried blood in same area.
Otherwise I was given the go-ahead to resume all activity I feel comfy doing.
I hope you get some rest and will heal soon! Best of luck to you. Take care.
Unread 03-04-2005, 03:11 PM

The silver nitrate will cause cramping and bleeding usually for a few days. I had it for dysplasia or something once before. I should go away in a few days.

Hope things go well.

dumby in Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Don't feel bad. I went for a five-week exam last week, and the nurse practitioner said I wasn't healing as quickly as she would have expected. Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed, as is my husband

Like you, I feel pretty good, so it was definitely discouraging. Well, that was discouraging AND swelly belly still hanging AND bleeding. Blah.
Unread 03-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks!

Thank you for the feedback ladies.

Kenzo, I still have swelly belly too. It actually was better but after my exam seems to be more swollen. I am in pants two sizes bigger that I was pre-op.

My husband was a bit bummed out about the extension of my recovery but in all honesty I haven't felt much like letting him near that area anyway. After all I have read on this site I want to be sure I am healed before intercourse. I hope at 8 weeks post-op I will feel ready.

I guess we just keep positive and take it easy. I hope you heal fast. Take care, LeeAnn
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:55 PM

Are you allergic to latex gloves? A hyster sister suggested this to me because I hurt for a day or so with burning pain after my checkups and hurt for two weeks, a burning after my surgery. Was on antibiotics two times after my surgery for a suspected UTI, but after getting an exam on Monday with NON-latex gloves I don't have the burning pain, but the bad news is I still have some prolapse symptoms.

TVH and a bunch of other stuff. Get Well Soon Girls!
Unread 03-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Latex

I never thought about the latex gloves. It is something I will be aware of now. Thank you, LeeAnn
Unread 03-05-2005, 08:29 AM

Hey, I am 6 weeks Tues. But my doc did my postop at 4wks. She also told me to hold off sex, running, heavy lifting until 8 weeks. She says she does this with all her patients to prevent complications. I felt a little deceived because in the hospital she told me it would be 6 wks. I think they do this because telling us it would be 8 wks would be too discouraging. Maybe not but that's my philosophy. Keep your head up it is only 2 weeks away now. We are on the home stretch. I am beginning each day to feel more of my old self. Just wish I didn't tire as easily. My family is glad to have me back at it too. Spring is coming and we are over the worst. Take care Lynn
Unread 03-05-2005, 08:48 AM

I went for my 6 week check-up Wednesday and got the same news about my vaginal cuff not being healed yet. I had some bright red spotting a few days before my check-up so i suspected my cuff wasn't healed. My dr. also did the silver nitrate thing and I had some cramping afterward and some yucky brown discharge throughout the next day. I am seeing what i think are stitches now when i wipe after going to the bathroom so i hope this is a good sign (i hadn't seen any at all before).

I'm not too disappointed as far as not having sex as I'm still sore and am not sure i'm ready for that anyway. My husband sure is disappointed and getting impatient but i don't want to injure anything and then have to start healing all over again so he's just going to have to wait.

I am rather disgusted at not being all better yet, I'm so ready to be all well. I just keep trying to remember how much better i feel than i did just 2 weeks ago and that i am continuing to slowly feel better.

Best wishes for fast healing to all my sisters! I don't know what i would have done without this site the last few months!

Dana
Unread 03-06-2005, 06:46 AM

I went for my 6 wk checkup on Friday.

I still have stitches that aren't completely healed. He said he uses a "hemline" stitch. I guess he doesn't like making knots.

I asked to go back to work Monday and he said "are you sure??"

I'm stir crazy and need something else to do.

I was told to resume all activities SLOWLY including sex!! He told me to have my husband go easy.

Sex Friday night, everything still works!!! YIPEE

Even more exciting I vacuumed yesterday, I really missed my Dyson...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register