I met someone who did No HRT, is younger, and doing fine! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I met someone who did No HRT, is younger, and doing fine! I met someone who did No HRT, is younger, and doing fine!

Unread 03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
I met someone who did No HRT, is younger, and doing fine!

Hi Ladies,

Some of you may have read some of the threads where I've posted wondering whether the surgical menopausal symptoms ever go away if you're of premenopausal or perimenopausal age. I'd always heard about women doing this and being fine second hand. Well, today I found out one of the ladies that works in my building had a TAH with a BSO when she was in her 30s. She tried hormones for a few years but never could get relief from her symptoms. They put her on high doses and still she had hot flashes. So, after about five years of that, she decided to stop wasting her money and stopped taking the hormones altogether (at about age 42). She said that she had all the symptoms (dry eyes, muscle and joint aches, etc.) but that THEY DID FINALLY PASS. She says she still has a hot flash now and then, and night sweats sometimes, but she said other than those she feels fine.

Now I've seen this woman doing her job, and I always thought she was younger than I was. Turns out we're the same age (47). She doesn't look like she's aged prematurely. She seems active. She's not overweight. She looks great!

She says she takes her calcium and multivitamins and that's it. So, if anyone of you ladies who are struggling in the no-hormone desert are having doubts, here's one more voice (added to those that have already said this). It CAN be done and it's true you can still be healthy and youthful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words.
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:09 PM

My family physician told me (as I sat there with my mouth hanging open to the floor in disbelief!) that a good percentage of pre-menopausal patients of his who have a TAH/BSO report no significant changes in their perceived health and well-being afterwards, and they don't even want to take any HRT! Lucky them!
As a comment about your acquaintance who "looks great" at age 47, I have concluded (based on observations of my own peer group over the decades) that women who look healthy and "younger than their years" often do so because of:

• 1. Genetics (cannot control)
    2. Not smoking
    3. Healthy eating
    4. Lots of exercise
    5. Maintaining appropriate weight
    6. Minimal stress (cannot necessarily control)

Best Wishes for Good Health to All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 09:24 PM

Bizet Woman,

I think you're right regarding your observations of the cause for youthful looks. And probably genetics is like 75% of it (if not more). I have a friend who is a couple years younger than me. She has lived her life doing 2 through 5 of your list. She does have the average amount of stress I think, but the thing that has really worked against her, I think is her genetics. Her face is already full of wrinkles (advanced crows feet and laugh lines). I never asked her if she was a sun worshipper in her younger years, but that might be a contributing factor.

Still, my friend is young at heart and could run miles around me. She has dancing blue eyes and is beautiful when she laughs. Her youth, not apparent in her skin, shines from within. And I think that's even more attractive than a lineless face.
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:28 PM

I wish I could have managed without HRT but I suppose it boils down to some don't need and others can't have a normal existance without taking them. I fell into the latter ,menopause symptoms at 37 when my ovaries just stopped, I swore I'd never take HRT but my life would be sheer hell without them , lucky anyone who has an easier time of it, I actually feel and in the opinion of many people I know look younger since my surgery and
taking HRT so I think there are pros and cons for different people.
Age is definately a state of mind and feeling healthy inside and out really helps.
Unread 03-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks TW!

I must admit, I am skeptical some days. I'm off HRT these past 2 months.

First month, I was a dynamo! Tons of energy, happy (almost manic) mood, sharp mind, slept like a log. I just felt great! I was laughing and giggling my way through each day, giddy with joy and good feelings. Like a new woman.

Second month, not so good. Tired, achey, lethargic, blah, foggy-brained, dragging through each day, tongue-tied and no memory for details. Just a big ol' blah. All I think of is my next nap...

Go figure. For the life of me I have no explanation! I am feeling like I am aging and like I am not ever going to feel "normal" again. I even put in a call to my MD to discuss whether I should go back on something or ride this out a little longer. I admit I am getting a little discouraged here...

I hope I am like the woman in your example. I really, really want to be like her! Time will tell, I guess!

Thank you...

Deb
Unread 03-05-2005, 08:45 AM

Wendy, I agree. It's really an individual thing. If only we knew more about why it's easier for some and not for others, we'd have the whole thing fixed. Before I'd started on the very low dose of estrogen, I thought "but what about quality of life?" How can I be expected to work at a full-time job while I'm feeling so horrible?

Deb, I'm sorry it's still such a struggle for you. I wonder if you could record or journal like someone has suggested your good and bad days and see if there is an improving trend or not. I can't remember whether you said that you tried cutting the patches yet, to go down slowly...
Unread 03-05-2005, 09:27 AM

It must be an individual thing. I have done all those things on the list for many years and I have been blessed with looking younger than I am, but the hot flashes started before my hyst around 50 and they are still here, just not as bad. My dr told me he has seen women go very late in years up to age 60 with periods and hot flashes.

He has no problem with women taking hrt for a few years after they go through the change or further if they are so miserable and their quality of life is an issue.

We all age differently as well, and I think we can see how our parents age, and get a hint on maybe how we will do. I know some very healthy women in their 40's and 50's, but then I know some who are not and one thing after another is starting to go. My mom looked young , but had many health issues and died young.

I will continue to exercise and eat well, take vitamins, but even with all that I do, I cannot stop the joint degeneration that started a year or two ago. I think is is part of aging and I will just do the best I can with what I have . It seems that exercise, lifting weights and calcium did not keep me from having joint problems, but maybe it will help from breaking a bone.

s
Unread 03-05-2005, 09:16 PM

Tallwoman,

I myself have been trying to figure this whole thing out. I think alot of it has to do with body weight. Dr. Sandra Cabot has a book "Hormone Replacement the real truth" and she talks about women who don't have much body fat usually have a harder time because she doesn't produce as much estrogen like her sisters that have some fat on them. Our fat cells produce some estrogen. I am a smaller person myself and have had a terrible time adjusting after the surgery. Everything was removed. The surgery did age me. My skin is drier even the heals of my feet are drier. I am 45 and always had smooth soft feet and now they are dry just like my hands. I use to wake up at night with a dry mouth all the time after this surgery. It does effect our moisture content but it is funny some ladies do better then others. I have two friends that are "fluffier" in size and they don't even take hrt with their ovaries removed and both look young. My dr said because of my size I depend almost solely on the estrogen I take orally. My mother is almost 80 and everyone says she looks 20 years younger. This surgery hasn't been good to me. I have noticed more wrinkles. I tried switching around on estrogen and my estrogen went down to 37 and I couldn't function at all. I was sleeping 2 hrs a night and had what my dr said sounded like auto immune instability. I thought I was dying it scared me. Now I'm on premarin .9 and afraid to try anything else because of what I experienced. I would just like to know why I went through all that and why some women can do it withour hrt. Where those ladies small in size? I would like to meet a small women and hear her story.
Unread 03-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Tallwoman,

One other thing when my estrogen went down so low I started having real bad pains around my stomach area. I went to dr and he said i had a touch of IBS now I have never had any problems with this my whole life and now still today things aren't right in there even my bowels are different (they want to move too much) I never in a million years thought this surgery would be so hard on my body.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register