Swelly belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly belly? Swelly belly?

Unread 03-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Swelly belly?

Hi,

I am reading alot about the SWELLY BELLY but am wondering if this also happens with a vaginal hysterectomy or only with the abdominal hysterectomy?

I went shopping today and bought two jogging suits. Never wore that in my life (they are quite nice) but am really wondering if I should have got bigger ones?

Thanks for your answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2005, 03:37 PM
swelly belly

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op LAVH and although I've lost weight since surgery, my sweats are all quite snug on my tummy. Up until last week, I was just wearing the lounge pants around the house (although I did have a vaginal incision from bladder repairs and a suprapubic catheter that also caused some discomfort with any clothing), but my stomach still feels swollen. In fact, by the end of the day I just have to get the sweats off because my belly has had enough. I'd suggest getting extra lounge pants with hardly any elastic and sweats that are a size bigger. I think for the first few weeks you'll be more comfortable that way.

jmw
Unread 03-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Swelly belly?

Hi,

I had a vaginal hyst 6 months ago and did experience the swelly belly. It surprised me. You are smart getting the jogging suits. No one warned me and I had to wear my PJs home since the clothes I came in definately didn't fit. I'm still struggling with trying to get ad muscles back into shape. Some days I have ab pain, but think it is more related to bowels. It took 2 months for them to get functioning normally again.
Good Luck and take care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Swelly belly?

I had LAVH and am six-weeks post op and still have swelly belly, even though I've lost some weight. Before I had surgery, I went out and bought lots of active wear sets with drawstring pants and hooded jackets. I don't know what I would have done for clothes if I hadn't gotten those before surgery.

Right now I'm wearing jeans, but they're the biggest pair I own and I have them unfastened at the top. Swelly belly stinks.
Unread 03-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Swelly belly?

Thanks! Now I know for sure. If it stays for too long guess I'll need more suits since I will probably get sick of the color I chose. Two orange ones! That is the only color they had at the Farmers market that would fit me since all the others were large or XL.

I am starting to feel worried and praying real hard that all goes will with no complications. I really, really want to ride my motorcycle to Friday 13 in Port Dover swelly belly or not.

Once again thanks for your fast replies
Unread 03-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Swelly belly?

I also bought two velour jogging suits for recovery. I still wear them everyweekend because after a week of regular clothes, my tummy is a little tender.

Today I asked DH if he was getting sick of seeing them. He said that as long as I wasn't complaining about my tummy he was happy.
Unread 03-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Swelly belly?

My DH hates all sweat pants, jogging suits . When I told him I was going to get those this a.m. he told me: OK for this you may but only on a temporary basis (he hasn't seen the bright orange colors yet!). Wait till I tell him that after 4 months I might still need to wear them!

That is so
Unread 03-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Swelly belly?

I am 3 weeks post-op and it is going down. They told me to wear loose fitting pants to go home but even my loosest were not ready for the size of my abdomen. The sewn-in elastic at the waist-HURT it was so tight. I immediately switched into pj's when I got home. Then I found the loosest sweat pants and the following week I went to a dept. store and bought two new, nicer pants for when I went back to work. (I don't have to be dressed up.) Now just a couple of days ago, since I am shrinking a little and I did diet during my recoup., I went to my favorite store (Dressbarn-if it's ok to say) and the gal pointed me towards Hollywood-style pants. They are waistbandless and they have stretch to them. I got them in petite and I didn't have to do a thing to them and they fit great! They allow for the swellybelly. My doc said I would see improvement continue from 4-6 weeks. They blow your belly up the size of a basketball-that must have made quite a picture. I also had him remove a skin tab by the corner of my eye, so when I first looked in the mirror I had quite a shock as the corner of my eye was swollen and blackened. I had gained three pounds from the fluid i.v. etc., I asked everyone for soup and fish and poured on the liquid to flush myself. This was for a vaginal hysterectomy. Wish you the best......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register