Forgetfulness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Forgetfulness Forgetfulness

Unread 03-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Forgetfulness

I had a total hys 7 months ago. I find since my surgery that I am very forgetful, and have trouble speaking what I want to say. I spoke to my doctor about this, and he said he has no idea what could be wrong. Has anyone experienced this after surgery? If the total loss of sexual libido wasn't enough, now I have to deal with being very forgetful.
Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Forgetfulness

Hey!!

You are now talking to the Queen of Forgetfulness!!! (just joking; sort of!)
You don't say if you're taking HRT, or any vitamins, herbs, etc.
But, I'll say that even before surgery I had problems with memory!!! It was especially embarassing at work!!! Start down a hall to do something, and have NO IDEA what it was!!!! Talking to somebody, and completely forgetting what I wanted to say!!!
But, enough of that!!!
Beyond, whatever you're taking now!! There are three herbs that can help: Ginseng, Gotu Kola and Ginkgo Biloba.
You can try any, or all.
I take them ALL!! 1 a day!!!

Hope this helps you!
Unread 03-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Forgetfulness

I am about 3 1/2 months post and I forget things all the time. I have no memory of the last 2-3 months before my surgery and since then if I don't write it down, make signs, or is part of my daily routine, I forget. One day I came home from work to change shirts on my way to cook for my church, the only thing I had to do was change my shirt, I got home and couldn't remember why I was here, went to the church, looked down and then I remembered. Or last week my son asked if I could make his sandwich for lunch with mustard, cheese, meat, on toast, no lettuce/tomato. I got everything right but the toast, didn't remember toast for 2 days. It's just little things like this I forget I guess because I don't remember if I forgot, right?!? I had anesthesia twice last year, I think it has to do with it and with the stress/shock of everything. I only take a mulit-vitamin and calcium, kept my ovaries and that all seems to be fine, just forgetful.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Forgetfulness

I am 3 weeks today and thougt I am having early altzheimers no joke I cannot remember one moment to the next. I either forget what was said to do or I forget mid sentence what i am telling you. Its bad I hope to be better by the time I return to work. I need ot talk to people there and sound halfway intelligent, I just started hormones last wed. And I do take vitamin supplements daily.
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Forgetfulness

I am not on any hormone therapy after hysterectomy - kept ovaries and they are functioning just fine. I now experience exactly what DPF98 is experiencing - not being able to put my thoughts together in sentences and forgetting what I was going to say half way through a sentence. It is absolutely deadly at work.....people have certainly noticed. Speaking eloquently and being sharp and quick on my feet had never been a problem before.

No solutions just someone who can empathize with you.
luciegoosie
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Forgetfulness

Wow - I thought it was just me!! Nice to know others are experiencing this too. I have had memory issues as well - I don't remember anything unless I write it down. I also have problems using the right words, which I never did before. Sometimes I think it is because I thinking so fast that I skip whole sections of what I want to say. I also get distracted easily now, which never happened before. I use to be able to talk on the phone, have the computer going and the radio on. Now I can't even have the radio on and do computer stuff at the same time.

I just thought I was getting old, but I will take Flower's advice and look into some supplements. BTW, I am not on HRT - cancer dx so can't take that stuff.

Thanks for bringing up the subject and good luck to all the forgetfull Princesses out there!

HUGS,
Cat
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Forgetfulness

I have had the same problem with words so now when I can't remember a word I just say, "I don't think I ever knew that word anyway." I just figure its "Sometimers" cuz sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't.
And I am on HRT so any other advise for those of us with "Sometimers".
I also have had trouble remembering whether or not I fed the dog or the last time I let him outside. So glad I don't have a wee one around to take care of that could be bad.... I was going to spell another word but forgot how to spell it, LOL....Thank goodness for spell check at work or I'm in trouble when I go back in 3 weeks.
Unread 03-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Forgetfulness

I hate foggy days. (Or should I say foggy 'daze') One of my favorite websites Survivors Guide to Surgical Menopause links it to lack of estrogen:
  Quote:
Estrogen seems to be somehow linked to memory itself, especially verbal memory. Women with low estrogen frequently complain of feeling “foggy,” losing track of their thoughts, words, objects, or blocks of knowledge such as how to get from one location to another. Nouns are particular victims of this process, leading to those helpless conversational fumblings that are one of the hallmarks of menopausal women. That this is a transmission problem is indicated by the recovery of this “lost” information and capability once estrogen levels are restored.
Although they discuss this as common in women who are surgically menopausal, the women who've retained their ovaries can experience this as well, since the ovaries tend to go through an adjustment period after a hysterectomy. Hope the fog lifts soon.

Beth
Unread 03-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Forgetfulness

Hi!
I'm almost a year post op, and bumbling along in a scatty kind of way!
Today, I bought some socks and a pair of jogging bottoms in a shop, and do you think I could work out £12.50?? I even had the right money!
I said sorry to the assistant, and she said don't worry about it, I go out the back for something, and I forget everything, so it's more common than we think!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register