small bowel obstruction and sepsis post-surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

small bowel obstruction and sepsis post-surgery small bowel obstruction and sepsis post-surgery

Unread 01-29-2001, 04:01 PM
small bowel obstruction and sepsis post-surgery

On October 19th I had a total hyterectomy (laparoscopic assisted), stayed for 24 hours and then went home. I was readmitted less than 36 hours later for a small bowel obstruction. My hospital stay lasted 14 days with two of those days spent in the ICU with sepsis. My physicians totally offered different stories about this complication and I am currently trying to involve lawyers, but the hospital hasn't released my records yet and don't seem to be going to anytime too soon. Hormones are a nightmare and I'm :'( crying frequently due to fear of further complications. I still have abdominal pain as well as vaginal pain, and a huge 4 1/2 inch scar to remind me of my horrors on a daily basis. I could use some sisterly support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2001, 04:33 PM
Ouch...

You really ARE on the road less traveled, but you certainly can't tell it from some of the stories told here (seems like it's more common than "less traveled"). Anyway, I definately WOULD involve lawyers - in many states, the statute of limitations on medical malpractice is 12 months. That's MONTHS. I know you feel horrible, but don't let them take advantage of that. They KNOW you feel horrible. It's really a sad state of affairs, but doctors are people, and like any other public body will either confess or lie, depending on what the question is - which is probably why you're getting differing accounts of the same surgery (somebody is lying). The lawyers should be able to get your records (yes, I've had to go thru this too) - get one of them to send a nasty-gram and I guarantee you they will release the records. Get the records from the doctor's office as well and compare the two (the lawyers should do this for you). But don't waste any time. The records are YOURS and you have a right to them. One way of getting to them is to have another doctor request them for you (go see another one, and complain of pain from surgery...they should order them up -- if they don't -- question why).

At this point, and I cannot impress this upon you enough, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR (if you haven't already). If you don't you run the risk of getting slip-shod care and jumping through hoops for several months until the statute of limitations runs out. (I know people think I'm paranoid, but it really is true, I've witnessed this kind of crap first hand).

I know you feel really bad right now, and I don't know what your financial situation is, but find someone ELSE to help you. You need some kind of ADVOCATE to get thru this whole mess -- a good friend, a parent, a significant other. They can help you make decisions and offer a difference of opinion when you're not thinking clearly. Make sure it's someone with a clear head (not too trusting). Then (if possible) work on getting another doctor in another town (the good ole boy network is pretty thick down here in the south). It really frosts my southern behind to know that doctors take advantage of patients (and count on them to be trusting and ignorant), and make no mistake, that's exactly what this situation looks like.

As for the hormone problems, ANY doctor should be able to help you with that (ANY doctor BUT the one who did your surgery that is). As badly as you must feel (after being in ICU for 14 days) the hormones may or may not be the culprit. You must be scared out of your mind. Trust your instincts, you know you're not getting the straight of the story, and that's GOT to bother you. It would make me wonder what else might be wrong too. Find someone who will answer those questions, and do it fast.

Unread 01-29-2001, 08:03 PM

Hi there....I just wanted to offer you some support and a big hug.....I was 7 weeks past my hysterectomy and feeling pretty good then developed a bowel obstruction due to a hole in the peritineum (the lining around the intestines)...how I got the hole, I don't know, it was right under my hysterectomy incision...pain worse than i have ever had in my life, I have never been so sick...but thought it was kind of strange that my ob/gyn wanted to be in on my surgery, even tho another surgeon fixed the problem. Think it is even stranger that I can not get my records from this surgery, no one can seem to locate them....and really strange that my insurance has not been billed for this surgery yet and it has been almost 4 months....
I know your hormones are probably a mess right now, because mine were...I was off hormones for 6 weeks after my hyst because of endo, had only been on them for a week, then hospital stay of 8 days with obstruction was on nothing....so I was a mess for a while too....I am just now starting to feel somewhat human.....
Please take care and know that others do care and support you.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2001, 07:15 AM

Have you actually gone to the Medical Records dept of the hospital and requested a copy of your records? They should pull them, copy and have you sign for them right there. Keep in mind that you will probably have two charts...one for each visit. Best of luck to you. As long as you have a good lawyer, I would trust his opinion. These medical records are yours and you have every right to them...but sometimes records do get misplaced. I worked in a hospital, and it does happen. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will be on the road to better health very soon.
Unread 01-30-2001, 07:57 AM

Yes, I have requested my medical records at the hospital. The first time they said they were incomplete and could not copy them, then yesterday I spoke with them on the phone and they said that I could request an audit of my records (that would be the incomplete chart). They claim that my discharge summary and the operative note are incomplete (since Oct!). As soon as I get paid this week I'm on my way to medical records to get my own copy. Unfortunately
it is pretty expensive, but it will be worth it to get some answers.
The support from my fellow hystersisters helps so much! I was feeling so very alone in all of this.
I have two years here in GA to file a claim. Hopefully my lawyers will go into full swing once they get the medical records.
My Ob/gyn was in on the second surgery too. Apparently it isn't too uncommon. They want to see what happened and if it was their fault I guess.

kdragnfli (LAVH with BSO and A&P repair Oct 19, 2000 with small bowel obstruction Oct 23, 2000)
Unread 01-30-2001, 08:16 AM

Being in Md, I am not familiar with how GA does things. I didn't have to pay for a copy of my medical records, and that surprised me that you mentioned how expensive they were! I know that this may sound strange, but have you had someone else, rather than yourself, call the hospital to find out what their procedures are in obtaining medical records? Your chart may very well have been "red flagged" due to the problems which you are having. Have you been billed for either surgery? Where I would work, all of the doctor's notes must be present before the chart goes to billing. Just some small details that you may want to look into, but keep in mind that we are in different states.
Please remember that no matter who you talk to, get their name and the phone number with correct extension and the date and time of the call...write everything down on a calendar! Document it all!! Good Luck!!
Unread 01-30-2001, 09:19 AM

Don't give up on getting your medical records. Sometimes, I think the records are harder to track down when you have had a repeat hospital visit/surgery so soon after your first one.

It took me 6 MONTHS to get mine, but they finally arrived with a profound apology from the department head (she called me after hours), and the fee to make the copies was waived.

Sending cyberhugs,
Unread 01-30-2001, 04:21 PM

I am so sorry for all you have been through. As the other Ladies stated those are your Medical records and you have the right to see what is in there. I had surgery for Bowel Obstructions last May with an 11 day hospital stay. This was my 3rd surgery since my Hyst. Luckily for me a different Surgeon at a different Hospital performed this last surgery. I have experienced first hand what it is like to be given the runaround by Docs and am yet to receive medical records from a trip to the ER at the same Hospital that did my Hyst the night before I was taken to the ER at the last one that did the Obstruction surgery. My thinking is they knew they made a mistake sending me home after telling me everything was fine.
Are you seeing a new Gyn? Hopefully they can find out what is going on thats still causing you pain. Keep us posted. Hope things get better for you soon
Unread 04-30-2001, 08:12 PM
symptoms of bowel obstruction

Can anyone tell me what the symptoms are, of bowel obstruction??
Unread 05-01-2001, 05:43 AM

Hi Jay Kay.....I had a bowel obstruction 7 weeks after my hysterectomy due to a hole in the lining around my intestines....was actually like a hernia, because my intestines feel thru this hole..... but because everything then backed up, became an obstruction.
Here were my symptoms....extreme pain, worse than anything I had ever felt, came in waves, would subside then start again. About 2 hours after the pain started, I started throwing up.....threw up for hours, thought I just had a virus. Then it became like a sequence......horrendous pain, break out in a sweat, nearly pass out, then throw up....about every 5 minutes.... When I started throwing up green stuff (sorry) I knew something was definitely wrong....also nothing was passing thru the other end...(sorry to be so graphic) I have 2 good friends who are nurses and they both came over with their stethoscopes and listened for 'bowel sounds' and I had none, so they told my husband to get me to the hospital quick.......
I was very fortunate that my intestines didn't burst and the hole was able to fixed with a laproscopic surgery(that was my 3rd surgery in 3 months).......
If you think you have a bowel obstruction....you need to get to a dr.......hope and pray you don't......
as a side note......a blessing from all of this.....I had been bothered with constipation for years...know now it was due to the endo......and was still having problems after surgery.....after this last surgery, things are working very well.....!!
let us know how you are.......
take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register