This is getting personal! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This is getting personal! This is getting personal!

Unread 03-06-2005, 08:58 AM
This is getting personal!

Okay, my surgery date is Friday the 11th. Did my pre-ops, and what did this cute little skinny nurse say??? "No nail polish and the nails have to come off." Now you can take every innard I have, but do you have to mess with the nails??? I know the why behind it, but puleeze.
I guess the joke will be on them...my real nails are so beat up, they won't be able to tell a thing by them.
Seems like we would be allowed some small token of vanity, considering everything else we own will be up on display for all to see. Sorry ladies, I know I'm vain, and this too shall pass.
At least it has my mind off other things now. hah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2005, 09:06 AM

I had a surgery last year and was allowed to keep my nails as long as I removed the nail polish. You should call your doctor's office to double check.
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:18 AM

Puplover has been informed by a nurse in the hospital where she is having surgery that she needs to have clean nails for her surgery.

If the hospital says remove them, then remove them it is.

(Puplover, you have my sympathies, I'm pretty vain about my nails too!!!----- you can look forward to treating yourself once you are starting to feel better!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2005, 10:05 AM

Hmmm!! I too am a nail vain sister. Last time I went in I got pink solar (sp) w/ a white tip (not powder). & I AM NOT taking off my nails. NO WAY NO HOW! They can see my nail beds perfectly clear & my mommy will be there & she won't let them make me! So na-na- naa- boo-boo on you hospital. LOL I went to the ER a month ago & had clear solar on my nails & they didn't say anything. I have my pre op on Tue. the 10th @ the Dr's office & I sure am going to check into this issue. & Will let you all know what thney say.
Unread 03-06-2005, 12:16 PM

No one told me (I go in Tuesday) that I had to remove nails or polish.. Don't they have that little oxygen sensor thing that clips on your finger?? I had surgery last year (endometrial ablation) and I wore my polish for that!
Good luck Ladies!
Unread 03-06-2005, 01:52 PM

I was told it's not an issue with them being able to 'see' your nails... it's an issue with the oxygen sensor on your finger actually being able to 'read' through the acrylic and other false nail materials. How true it is, I couldn't tell you, but that was what I was told.

I can't wear them all the time because my hands are in water all day long at my job and planned to have mine done while I was off recovering. I made sure to ask at my doctor's office AND at my pre op at the hospital and both places advised me they had to be OFF during surgery and told me to wait until AFTER surgery to have them done.

Different hospitals may have different policies, but you have already been told that YOUR hospital requires them to be taken off so that is what you need to do. Sorry.

Our local hospitals do not even allow EMPLOYEES (including those involved strictly with office work that have no patient contact) to wear them.
Unread 03-07-2005, 06:48 AM
only my opinion about the nails :-)

hiya,
i think> the nail thing is so the aneasthatist(oops! my best spelling effort) can see the colour change in the nail-its an indicator for them to watch(you know -that half moon part at the bottom.
paint them this shade when you are sitting up after your op!!! girl power n pamper!!

all my good wishes xx
rosie:
Unread 03-07-2005, 07:52 AM
nails

My surgery was 2/09 and I took off my nails the week before and am I glad I did !!!
Not only did it give my nails a break but I was not in the mood or shape to get a refill anytime in the first 2 weeks. Actually I haven't had them done yet. You need to build up stength and stamina to go an sit up long enough to have them done !!! I will before I go back to work !!!

When I do go back it will be for a refill and a pedicure !!!! A real treat for THIS princess !!!!

Unread 03-07-2005, 07:53 AM

If it's any consolation to the nail-vain (I kind of like that term), for the first couple of days after surgery I didn't even know I HAD fingernails, much less cared what was on them.

I was far too busy taking care of my basic needs like standing, walking, going to the potty, and getting myself back to eating solid food.

My hospital also told me no makeup (so they can see my "real color") fingernail or toenail polish. I considered it a pretty small sacrifice to make.

My best wishes to all!
Unread 03-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Laugh of the Day

I wouldn't worry on how my nails looked. I read that they need them without nail polish, for to look at them during surgery for your oxygen level, anasthesia. I had painted my toe nails red when I met my favorite nascar driver,JEREMY, in October. I had to take the nail polish off, for my hyster surgery. I had left it on my big toes, for 'rememberences' of meeting him....'wacky' I know!!!!! They also want all your piercing jewlery off also. What I want to say is.....I wouldn't worry to much about my nails, I probably scared them all a bit, when I showed up at hospital with the way my hair was combed, showing lots of grey roots, nice dark circles under my eyes and toothless ,after taking out my dentures.......'fright nite'!!!!! May your surgery go well, and your recouperting be the best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register