Test Results | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Test Results

I received a call from the nurse at my gynochologist's office that the routine hemocult test I had done tested positive for blood in all three samples. I had no idea I was bleeding and am very surprised.

When the nurse asked me if I had ever had a colonoscopy and I replied that I had about 3 years ago. I have been referred back to that doctor for a follow-up to try to find the origin of the bleeding. The first available appointment is April 7th so I have to wait until then to find out the next step. I am very nervous about it.

I know that a number of things can be the cause and not all of them are very serious. However, my maternal grandfather died of colon-rectal cancer at the age of 59 and a maternal aunt died of the same disease at the age of 52. I am 56 years old. In addition, the early suspicion of my mother's intestinal cancer was found through a similar test. Needless to say, I am scared.

I have told my husband but I do not want to needlessly worry the rest of my family until I know more. I don't know what I expect any of you do do for me, but I had to get this out somewhere and this seems like the perfect spot.

It is funny, I came back to the Hystersisters website more than a year after my surgery because of severe sexual dysfunction. Right now, that doesn't seem very important.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Test Results

Aw I'm so sorry you've got to go back to see the GI doc, and that you have to wait so long to get in to see him. I sure hope they find a benign cause for the bleeding... but in any case I'm glad they ran the test and caught this now rather than later.

Let us know what you find out, OK? We'll be waiting to hear.
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Test Results

I love your ID ((((Eternal Optimist))).... you go with that! I am amazed with your family history that you have escaped having a colonoscopy. The test itself a breeze. The prep is a little yuck, but its over in a couple of hours. Just have a good book handy so you can camp out in the bathroom.

My sis had precancerous polyps that bled. So, maybe that's it for you as well. Its a slow growing cancer. She only has colonoscopies every 3 years. I am on a 5 year schedule just because we are sisters. My colonscopies have been totally clean.

Do let us know what they find out.

s for you while you wait to find out more!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Test Results

Thank you for your replies. It is so nice to get encouraging words from others.

I did have a colonoscopy about 3 years ago. SInce my colon was so long and the doctor was unable to check it all out with the probe, he also had me undergo a barium test. The results were that I had two benign polyps that were removed and after testing showed no signs of cancer. The doctor then told me I did nto need another colonoscopy for 10 years. Now that I have tested positive for blood, I am guessing that I willhave another colonoscopy in my near future. My appointment with the GI doctor is on April 7th so I will have to wait until then to see what will happen next.

I keep thinking that with the extensive testing that was done only 3 years ago, even if the cause of the bleeding is serious it is still probably being caught early. And of course there is a chance that the bleeding is caused by something that is not serious as well.

I am doing my best to stay positive about this and not to worry. It doesn't help that I came home from work from another message from my gynocologist to call the nurse. Since the office was closed when I got the message, I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out why I was called.
Unread 03-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Test Results

Hi E.O.,
I'm sorry your back for this reason, but it's nice to meet you. I really hope it's not serious, but if it is, I hope they have caught it in time. With your family history, I'm suprised they didn't schelude you for regular colonoscopys-every 2years. My grandmother has colon cancer and because of her age and poor health, they aren't going to treat it. She is in a state run home and I'm sure that has something to do with it to. Please tell your dr. about your history if you haven't already. Please let us know whats going on as you go on this journey. Maybe you can get on a cancellation list at the G.I. dr.'s office, so you can get in sooner? It's worth a call. Best wishes to you!
Unread 03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Test Results

Kim -
Thank you for the suggestion. My gynocologist's nurse called yesterday to see if I had followed up on the recommendation and she suggested the same thing that you did. So I called the GI doctor today, reminded them of my family history and got myself on the cancellation list. We will see what happens.
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Test Results

Dear E.O.,
Good for you! Let us know if you get in earlier. Take care.
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Test Results

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I am so glad I made the call to get on the cancellation list. My appointment has been moved up from April 7th to March 17th. Now I hope that the luck of the Irish is with me when I see the GI doctor.

WIthout your encouragement and the extra call from my gynocologist's office I would never have called and asked to be placed on teh list. Thank you!
Unread 03-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Test Results

Hi EO

I am glad to hear your appt. was moved up. Sometimes making those extra calls really do help. I hope everything turns out ok for you.

s

Peggy
Unread 03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Test Results

EO -
I am so glad you snagged a cancellation appointment - great advice from a sister ((((tcs)))).

Try to relax over the weekend - thre is some evidence that FOBTs (the smears) are as good as useless - and that regular colonoscopies are the ticket. For women like us (I am at high risk for colon cancer as well) - the routine is every 1-3 years depending on the exact details of your family history.

If g-d forbid something is amiss - rememebr that you did exactly the right thing by getting the test done, and quickly too.

Are you doing the drink-a-gallon prep or the phospho soda? I prefer the gallon drink (go-lightly - what a name!!) but I know several sisters respectfully disagree

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register