Anyone repaired w/transobturator procedure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone repaired w/transobturator procedure? Anyone repaired w/transobturator procedure?

Unread 03-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Anyone repaired w/transobturator procedure?

I had a urethrocele/mini cystocele repaired on Friday w/ the procedure called transobturator.....anyone else??

If you have I'd love details on your recovery etc. I'm SORE as all get out today but mine was in the early stages so I went ahead and got it fixed....why wait for more misery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2005, 11:13 PM

Well, I just had a TOT on Wednesday. I'm pretty sore, too! Have you taken a look down there yet? Not pretty. So far I haven't had any incontinence, but the flow or urine has been really slow...in trickles. What about you?

I also had my cervix removed--lap assisted--so I'm just sore all over. And lots of bleeding.

Let me know how it goes with you. Did your doc give you any time frame for recovery? Mine really didn't. He said I'd need to avoid heavy lifting for 6 months.

Margot
Unread 03-07-2005, 07:01 AM

Smargie:
We're about the same age as I turn 44 today! I'm still black and blue on my inner thighs but the soreness is a LOT better today. I didn't have any leaking problems but I would have if I had waited to get it fixed. My problems apparently started after my hysto....no one knows why it did that....but the urethra and bladder slipped some and it was driving me crazy.

I go back Friday for my 1 wk. My Dr told me don't be lifting over 35 lbs and " use my head and common sense". He also gave me a vag tuck. So I have a 2" worth of stitches inside on the roof of my vag!

Things don't look too gruesome on me...just some bruises, the two stitches on the side of mons area but other than that with the 'tuck' I'm neat as pin!!

I've already got more questions for him on Friday...but he used to that with me.

Hope ya get better soon. I'll keep ya posted and what I learn and please share your info with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 10:23 AM

Lulu...Happy Birthday!

What's a vag tuck? It sounds like we're about in the same boat, since I have stitches at the top of my vagina from removal of the cervix, too. I've got bruising on one thigh. Are you bleeding at all? I am pretty much non-stop, but I can't tell if it's from the TOT or the trachelectomy.

For some reason, a plastic surgeon "stopped by" during my surgery and did the closings with glue. So, I don't have any stitches there. I think that maybe I'm looking worse right now--mons skin is all goopy looking--but will look better in the long run. As if I care!

Have you taken time off of work? I'm still home with young kids and was just about to venture back into the world when this whole hyst thing happened. Were you put under a general? Did you spend the night in the hosp?

Have a good birthday and tell me about your appt on Friday.

Margot
Unread 03-07-2005, 11:03 AM

Smargie:

I work out of my home so I was back @ the computer the day after surgery.. Didn't sit there too long but got a few things done and I don't have kids. But I do own and operate a medium size cattle farm/hay farm and all this surgery has put a crimp in my system this winter. But, I'll manage.

I got a vaginal tuck...tightened up the ol " hoo-hah" a bit! When the bladder and urethra slid down it made my upper vag tissue protrude, kinda pushed them out. It bothered me at times so while Dr was doing the TOT I told him to do a make-over! He did and it feels better already.

I'm not bleeding per se...I do have a bit of a discharge but nothing exciting. I only had a bit of blood the day of the surgery in the hospital...other than that just some light discharge.

Bruises are at the stage where they look worse than they feel but I still am stiff in my back ( I had a spinal) and my tendons in my inner thighs. I wanna know how I got those bruises?? What were those guys doing in there???
Unread 03-10-2005, 04:25 PM

I'll bet your bruises have turned that lovely green/yellow shade by now.

I feel like it's getting harder and harder to pee. I drink tons of water (way more than my 8 glasses a day!) and feel like I have to go a lot, but then often just sit and sit while it comes out in trickles. If I push on my bladder really hard I can get more to come out, but then I get cramping--I imagine I'm pushing somewhere near the cuff.

You were awake during the procedure? Mine was part of a 3 hour surgery. Are you taking pain meds? How long did it take you to recover from your TVH? I can imagine that operating a cattle farm would be a little challenging with these surgeries!

If you really want to know what they did "down there," I'll see if I can find the website where I read about and saw pictures of the whole procedure. It's a bit graphic!

Let me know how your appt goes tomorrow. Good luck!

Margot
Unread 03-11-2005, 07:16 AM

Dr asked me when he did his " lookie-see" ...." What have you been doing to get such bruises??. I told him that I thought he should have some insight on that!!! He had no idea as he said the whole procedure was super easy. Just one of those things...and I seem to having a lot of them lately!

I was stoned outta my gourd during the TOT. I told them I wanted the spinal with HEAVY sedation. It a funny thing...on this farm I can sew up all types of critters when they get hurt and gush blood, birth calves, etc...but when it comes to ME and MY blood, surgery etc. I DO NOT want to see or hear about it till it is all OVER!

I didn't take any pain meds in the hosp as they only had down that I could get Lortab for pain and tylenol for fever. Lortab makes me goofy and I wanted to be awake when the Dr came in...so I toughed it out. I took my pain meds when I got home that nite ( after feeding the 4 dogs! who were PO'ed at being off schedule) and the next day....but that's been it.

The stitches internally fell weird. I've got about a 2" vaginal cut from the tuck and they are driving me nutz when I walk and move about.

I checked out the web site PelvicFloor but they don'thave TOT procedure but I did manage to find a video of the procedure on the web the nite before. Amazing what ya can find on the web!

All is healing up well and stitches are in for about 21 days or so...so I've a while to go. Might be starting on yeast irritation thing...kinda feels like it ...probably due to all the goo from the stitches.

take care and thanks for your concern.

AND...Don't push to pee!! With our track record no telling what ya could push out. I found out that if I 'thought' about peeing..I couldn't.....when I got busy or occupied with something else I could go with no problem. This " female business" really messes up your mind a times, doesn't it???

;-)
Unread 03-11-2005, 08:51 AM

Hi Luludelane

I was wondering if a tot does the same thing as a tvt. I am having the tvt done in 3 weeks, because of stress incontinence. The urologist said my urethrea doesn't seal tight under pressure. He didn't mention me having a cystocele, but my gyn said I had a small one 7 weeks back at my pre op for the posterior repairs. He didn't fix it as it isn't bad at this time. From what I have been reading on the internet the sling only supports the urethrea. I get the idea it doesn't support the bladder or help take care of a cystocele. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks for any info. The urologist didn't bother to tell me too much. I know I need the tvt anyway, because of the results from the urodynamic testing I had before my surgery in Jan.(a urodynamic technician did the test from a branch of my gyn's office)

Thank you and I hope your recovery continues to go well.
Peggy
Unread 03-11-2005, 10:26 AM

I asked Dr about all that. He said that by doing this procedure now I should head off all other problems. He told me that the TOT/and TVT are basically the same...the TOT is the newer way to operate and secure the tape. The tape/ sling sits right at the juncture of the bladder and urethra thus propping up both.

I did have a slight bladder " slide", a Stage 2. Now he did tell me that if the tendons that support the bladder fail that would have to be fixed as a separate operation. Oh..Whoopie!!!

I never had a stitch in my everloving body till 2002...the it was 3 surgeries in 2K2.....2K3 was ok and I almost got out of 2K4....Nov 2K4 the hysto , 2- 2K5 vocal cord surgery and 3- 2K5 the bladder deal. I'm starting on a yeast thing now as really with all the yeast/urinary infections , pneumonia & surgery I've been on some type of anti bios since Nov 2K4!! My ol " nunnie" has been thru the wringer!!!

My cystocele/urethocele...whatever....was slight but I was in the mood to " get'er done" , as we say here in the South, as I travel a lot in the summertime and wanted to be ready to go!

Good luck and keep me posted on info you gain also. Any info is helpful info it seems
Unread 03-11-2005, 12:46 PM

My incontinence isn't too bad right now, but I am like you and just want to be done. My gyn suggested a couple months ago that i get the tvt done to prevent it from getting worst.That was right before he noticed I now have a small cystocele. As much as I want to get back to work and get on with my life, I want to go ahead with this and be done. I hope it will help secure my bladder.I guess time will tell.I have alot of pulling in my abdoman around the area where the bladder sits. I worry I will eventually prolapse more. I do notice I have alot of tissue hanging down from the top when I sit down. I looked with a mirror.I also feel a poking sensation at times on the top when I bend. Did you feel anything like this before your tot?

Thanks for the info you posted.

Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register