Call me dummy.... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Call me dummy.... Call me dummy....

Unread 03-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Call me dummy....

Hi Tab!

Wow, I can't believe I'm responding to this because I am sooo silent about this little problem of mine. I was given genitile herpes @ the age of 16 when raped. I am 41 now & back then they didn't have medicine for it.

For the first time in my life, 2 months ago I admitted to my NEW gyne that I have herpes and she prescribed Valtrex for me. After carrying it in my purse for 2 mths to the day, I just tore it up and threw it away yesterday when cleaning out my purse. It's funny to me of the timing in doing so & now reading this. I am too embarrassed to take that med to my pharmacist who will know "my little secret".

I have always had at least 1 outbreak every month and it is either before or right after my period. Sometimes it can be both before & after. I am hoping that since I will not have a period anymore, maybe I won't have any outbreaks! Anyway, I've dealt with this, this long; I will continue. I always know when it is coming on because I get a burning sensation down there. A lot of itching and burning! They break out anywhere between the anus and the vagina. I recently discovered that hemmroid medicine helps to relieve the itching.

My husband of 20 years had 1 outbreak about 2-3 years after we were married. He has never had another one & is probably dormant. We don't use any protection. It was extremely difficult for me to tell him way back then and after coming home drunk (to my mothers house) she was the one who had to tell him because I just couldn't do it. I was so afraid he would leave me. Fortunately for me, he was already in love.

Sorry to be so long. It actually feels good to admit this problem of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Call me dummy....

I don't mind the long posts, believe me. I tend to talk a lot myself.

I've done a little research on the internet about herpes and most of the information is textbook, that's why I decided to ask anyone here who might be dealing with it....real life is always my preference.

Thank you all for being so candid. It helps much more than you know.

The prescription for Valtrex I was given was for 21 pills to be taken twice per day until gone. The receptionist didn't say I'd need to take it daily forever. I guess I should probably call back and ask some questions since I'm almost finished.

I can't say it isn't possible that my boyfriend was running around, but it's unlikely. We live together and work together and rarely spend any length of time apart.
Throughout our relationship, there have been times he's avoided any kind of intimacy like the plague and I believe now it's because he was having outbreaks during those times.
As I said, the fact that he knew something as detailed as the color of the pill I was prescribed, led me to ask questions and I now know he's had this since before we ever met. I don't know how I never contracted it before now, unless my system was just worn down from everything in the past few months. It's the only explanation I can come up with other than he had sex with me while he had an outbreak where he didn't before.

You wanna' know the kicker in all this?
The surgeon asked if I wanted him to take everything while he was in there and I told him to leave my ovaries, if possible, because I didn't want to have to take pills for the rest of my life!
What a joke.
Unread 03-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Call me dummy....

Hi Tab! We had surgery the same day. I am so sorry to read about what is going on with you. Surgery strains the immune system, and makes it easier for it to be compromised by viruses and such. For instance, I know of a little girl with Ewing's Sarcoma. She was doing well until she had to have surgery for a blockage. Now the cancer has just popped out all over because her immune system was busy healing the surgery site and not keeping up with the cancer. It makes sense to me that in the period following your surgery, your immune system could not keep the herpes at bay as it had been doing before. It may be a combination of that, and your partner not being as diligent to avoid infecting you. I think you need to dump him. Any man with so little regard for you that he did not tell you about his infection doesn't deserve you.

To all of you who suffer with herpes, please don't feel embarrassed. We all have problems, we all have done things that had harsh consequences. I am sure none of you wanted to get the virus, it was not your fault! You are each beautiful and precious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Call me dummy....

I've read other posts on the board about women having their first herpes breakout right after surgery. I think it's a combo of things... stress & hormones. My ex gave me herpes years ago, but they were always mild outbreaks (1 or 2 tiny blisters) & almost always around my period. The outbreaks seemed to have almost stopped completely UNTIL my gyn put me on progesterone BC pills! OMG I had the worst outbreak I have ever had. (OK, it wasn't that bad, but the area was about the size of a dime, but I had never had that many before) That really made me thing it had to be hormone related.

As far as you not getting them from your BF sooner... it doesn't mean he hasn't had them for years. Its much easier for a man to KNOW for sure that he has an outbreak, because everything is external. He had to have been broken out to give them to you.

As the one sister said, it is a very common problem. Valtrex is for people with frequent outbreaks & can cause other problems. There is another script you can get called Zovirax.. it's only taken when you're broken out or feel like you're going to. If you find that you don't break out often, this is better & once you start to recognize the symptoms (slight itching, burning or tingle) if you start taking them RIGHT AWAY, you usually don't break out.

See girlfriend... you're not alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register