dont need HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dont need HRT dont need HRT

Unread 03-07-2005, 01:26 PM
dont need HRT

Ok so I have been fighting with HRT for about 1and a half years now!! The more I took the worse everything got (hot flashes,night sweats...) well I had stopped taking it as I had gained 42 pounds in only one year!! That is the total that I gained with both preg. combined...I was not happy...I went in to the Doc because a short time after stopping it all the problems went away. Well they did a estrogen leval check and I (even without overies) produce enough estrogen from my addrenal gland that I dont need it! That has been about 6 months and everything is still great. I am 26 and had the op done at just 24 for "cervical cancer" come to find out...it was pre-cancer and could have been solved with the measures that had been taken...so I was very happy about not needing to take the HRT. Has anyone else had this happen? I am alittle worried because the Doc said that the gland could give out sooner! Well I hope someone has some insight on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 04:14 PM
dont need HRT

Hwoodis - your situation is really interesting to me. I'm 17 days post op from a LAVH BSO and I have not had much as far as menopausal symptoms - just some warm flushes and even those are getting fewer as the days go by. Do you know the name of the test that your Dr. ran which determined that your adenal glad was producing sufficient hormone? I'd like to request that prior to starting HRT in 3-6 months.

Thanks!

Janet
Unread 03-07-2005, 05:08 PM
dont need HRT

All I asked for was an estrogen leval check. All it is a blood test and it only took 24 hours to come back. My mother had found out that she had the same thing and that is why I decided to have mine checked. At first after my hyster. I had that flashes not too bad but I did have REALLY bad night sweats so I was really suprised to find out that my gland kicked in enough that I did not need anything at all. I do once and a while get an odd here or there flash, but it is not too bad and does not last that long at all! So I hope that I hear about anyone else that has found this or help out someone that might not need that HRT and lower the chances of breast cancer! Good luck and feel free to email any time you need to talk. It is hard from time to time! (or was for me!) Once again good luck.
(Oops! e-mail address removed for your privacy. Members can use the e-mail or PM function in the user profile.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
dont need HRT

Hi hwoodis,

You sound like you've got the answer to a question that many of us on this board have been wondering about.

Some of us have tried to go the no hormone route after hysterectomy, but it's been difficult.

We've heard of (and from) a few others that have been able to do this too without too much of a struggle.

That must be where the answer lies. The adrenal glands of some of us are probably able to do a better job of compensating for no hormones, and the others--the glands dont help much.

Thanks for coming in and sharing with us.
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:22 AM
dont need HRT

Same here, I had a tah Nov 30,2004 (iam 48) for fibroids and pre cancerous tumor on ovaries. I have been HRT free since day one. My major problem was too much estrogen when I had my ovaries which was causing the tumors and fibroids. My mother said she had no menopausal symptons (she went through natural menopause and still has all her parts) and neither do I for the most part. Only problem encounter so far is joint pain. But went on progestrone creme and DIM supplements from local health food store and now I am pain free.

I do take evening primrose oil and vitamin E as well as calcium supplements. Evening primrose does wonders to keep my skin oily and the down under parts well lubed. Other than that I am doing great. Good Luck
Unread 03-09-2005, 09:29 AM
dont need HRT

I, too, am trying to avoid HRTs. My doctor prescribed estrace to be taken a week after my surgery, and I filled the Rx, but never started taking it. Two weeks post-op, I went to see her for leg pains, which she attributed to muscle strains, and told her I wasn't taking anything yet. She said not to if I didn't need it, that some women don't. I'm four weeks post-op now and about the only thing I have that might remotely be a symtom is hot prickly skin on my legs maybe once a day. I had a breast tumor (benign), about 30 years ago and don't want to trade one problem for another...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register