Bone Density Scan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bone Density Scan Bone Density Scan

Unread 03-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Bone Density Scan

Hey Ya'll,

All along my gyn/onc has told me that at the one year mark I needed to get a bone density scan. For whatever reason my next appointment is on MAy 4th. I am wondering if I should get this scan done locally or at my gyn/onc's facility (3 hrs. away). I have also read that there are different types of scans. Which one is the best?

Thanks.

Hugs.
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Bone Density Scan

Hi Karen,

I had a bone density test done at the radioloists office in my neighborhood.

I am not aware that there are different kinds of bone density tests but I guess that anything is possible.

Please let me know.
Rosalie
Unread 03-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Bone Density Scan

Hi there,

Bone density scans are VERY common, and also standardized. Meaning they should be fairly accurate from one place to another (measuring the same thing). If it were me, I would not do the extra effort to go too far away. Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Bone Density Scan

I had my bone densitometry done at the radiologist's in our town. I have the bones of a young adult, and I'm happy about that, being 55!
Unread 03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Bone Density Scan

My bone density scan was very unremarkable and not nearly as awful as a CT scan. You dont have to drink anything. You just lie still for a few minutes. I also wasn't aware that there were different kinds. I'd do it as close to home as possible. Of course, I do have some bone loss. Always fun at the age of 39.
Unread 03-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Bone Density Scan

Hi Siren,
I know partially how you feel. I just turned 40 and my bones due to the pituatary tumor I had are like those of a 70 year old. Take supplements is you can and pt like exercises. Glad it was unremarkable and may you dance with NED forever.
Unread 03-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Bone Density Scan

Hi Karen Getting our bone density checked periodically after sugery is very important. I had mine checked a year after the hyst, and then again two years later... the good news is that thanks to my HRT, my results, which showed borderline osteopenia at the first scan, improved a little by the time I had the second one done

My understanding is that the DEXA (DXA) scan is the best method of testing bone density available at this point. There are other methods using smaller, less expensive equipment, but they may not be as accurate. I'd ask at the local facility first if they do DEXA scanning, and if they do, then I think I'd go for that rather than traveling a longer distance.

This link has some great information about the different types of bone scans:

http://imaginis.com/osteoporosis/osteo_diagnose.asp

It also has some very helpful info on interpreting your scores when you get them.

The DEXA scan is my favorite test, because there is no bowel prep, you don't even have to get undressed... the only restriction is that they ask that you make sure you're not wearing any metal in your pants (zippers, snaps etc)! The whole thing only takes about 20 minutes at the most, and is covered by most insurance plans.

Good luck with your scan!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Bone Density Scan

Thanks to everyone giving me there insight on the bone density scan.

Unforntunately, my gyn/onc said because of my cancer I cannot have HRT. I guess I will call the radiologist's office this week to ask if they have the DEXA scan.

Thanks again!

Karen
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Bone Density Scan

(((Karen))), there are other meds (Fosamax and Evista are two) that can help you maintain bone density if you cannot use estrogen. Ask your DR... they can tell you which option will be best for you.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register