Surgery tomorrow, really scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow, really scared Surgery tomorrow, really scared

Unread 03-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Surgery tomorrow, really scared

I just registered about 15 minutes ago and posted a message in the "introduce myself" forum. Scared of lots of things but mainly scared of the pain on waking up. I had a tubal ligation about 15 years ago and when I woke up it was excrutiating. I feel silly about it too, being afraid of pain, but I just can't seem to get a handle on it. Having an abdominal, cervix stays ovaries out. My doctor says I may have an epidural in addition to the general, but that it depends on who is the anesthetist. I told him about my experience and he said they are way better at controlling pain these days. Hope I don't chicken out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2005, 03:42 PM
hi i know the feeling

Hello, don't worry you will be fine...........i just got released from my six week check up........just listen to your doctor do EVERYTHING HE SAYS !!! be treated like a princess and get some good books to read..........and don't be scared think happy thoughts ...........like being in bora bora or the hope diamond.

you will do well this is the best site take the check list and give it to your family..........take care hope to hear from you in two to three weeks
Unread 03-08-2005, 03:45 PM

HI...I am new here too. I understand why you are scared and I am too even though my surgery isn't until next week (17th). I will keep you in my prayers. I am 26 yrs old and do not know what to expect. I have been searching the net and reading and that's how I found this site. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2005, 04:12 PM

My TAH is tomorrow and I am really really nervous, scared, relieved just overwhelmed. I haven't slept in over a week because I can't stop thinking about it, I am normally fine when it comes to surgery but this one has me freaked out. Know you are not alone best wishes for tomorrow and you will be in my thoughts and prayers! (((HUGS)))
Unread 03-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Tell your anesthetist (sp) of your fears. I told mine about my last procedure - waking up feeling like they'd shoved a garden hose down my throat and when I woke in recovery, was sooo surprised NOT to have a scraped throat. (Later, my doc commented that the garden hose image had gotten thru to the A-doc so he'd used a smaller tube). If you fear nausea --tell him. If your fear waking up in pain -- relay that message, too. My recovery nurse was all over me the second I woke up asking about pain. Things are much better now...RELAX -- worrying will not help a thing. Sending
Unread 03-08-2005, 04:52 PM

(((reenster))) I know exactly how you feel.

I didn't really feel fear until they wheeled me into the operating room, but I sure made up for it then. I was really frightened for those few minutes before they got the "I don't care" drug (thats what the A-man called it ) going through my veins.

Here's something that really helped me, though. I tried to focus on how I would feel weeks after. Instead of thinking, "I just KNOW I'm going to wake up in pain" I tried thinking, "Just think -- two months from today I'll be back to work already." Instead of thinking, "That first bowel movement is going to be terrible," I tried thinking, "I'll be eating chocolate cake before I get out of the hospital!" It sounds corny, but it helped.

You may wake up in pain -- or you may not. That first bowel movement may hurt -- or it may not be a problem at all. My philosophy was to try my best not to worry about something that might not happen. Yes, it will be tough for a couple of weeks. But you'll likely come through it very well.

I know this is easier said than done, but even if you can trade a couple of the fears for a positive thought, it might help.

My best wishes to you! We're here for you, no matter what happens.

Unread 03-08-2005, 05:11 PM

I know how you feel!!!

Mine is in about a week and I am so freaked out!

I have not slept, I worry, worry, worry, etc. I promise you that you are NOT alone. I just keep remembering all the stories I read (on the hyster stories board) and they all say the same thing:

WAITING IS THE WORST PART

Let's hope so.

Just think, soon you will be a queen! Best of luck and prayers to you my dear.

Unread 03-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Just had hysterectomy last Wednesday

Hi,
I just got home from the hospital on Saturday, March 5th. I had a TAH with one ovary removed and my cervix removed. When I woke up in recovery, the A woman asked me if I wanted something more for the pain. I said yes. They wheeled me to my room and I had a morphine pump there. That helped alot.
Believe me, I am a big BABY when it comes to pain. If I can do it, you can do it! I ran a fever Thursday night, so I had to stay until Saturday.
Please make sure you tell the A man to give you something so you don't get sick when you get up. I did't get sick once!
The pain was never really that bad!
Good Luck! I know the waiting is terrible! I was terrified.
You will be in my prayers all day tomorrow!
Margie
Unread 03-08-2005, 06:18 PM

we all understand your fears, you are NOT alone. You must keep telling yourself, once this is over you will feel better. Try to think of something that makes you happy (a field of flowers, a small puppy or kitten, the ocean, a lakefront cabin) anything to keep you focused. I too had a tubal almost 24 years ago (the same day I delivered my last child). I don't remember the pain. But like some of the other "sisters" said, make sure you let your doctors and nurses know your fears. They hear it every day and want to make you feel comfortable.

God bless you and our prayers will be with you. Keep us posted once you get home and feel up to a quick "hello, I am home".
Unread 03-08-2005, 09:50 PM

Being afraid of pain is NEVER silly!!!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Can't wait to hear from you on the other side when you write to us all and say, "I did it! I feel great!"

Blessings & hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register