Returning to Work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to Work? Returning to Work?

Unread 03-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Returning to Work?

Hi all-
I had a TAH on 2/17 and am planning to return to my work as a teacher on 3/21. I really think I could do it, but many threads in this forum warn that 4 weeks post-op is a very transtional time for healing. I can't really "afford" to be out much more. My doctor says try half days, but that's very hard to do as a teacher getting a substitute for half days. I teach 5/6 grade, not a whole lot of movement necessary, so I could take it easy at work to some degree. Any input would be helpful!
Jenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2005, 10:06 AM
how soon back to work

I'm an LPN and my place of employment decided to fire me. I only worked there 3 months and the day before my insurance through them kicked in they let me go. They knew I was going to have surgery too. They said they couldn't wait 6 weeks and had to replace me. The pay wasn't too up to par, but now I am on Medicaid and using my tax money for bills, food, and its not much either. When does anyone think I can go look for work? My 6 week check up is the 31st. Also should I still be hurting? Ibuprofen isnt helping and they told me no narcotics no more! Why am I still hurting? its like pulled muscle type of pain on my sides
Unread 03-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Returning to Work?

jenny
i know a lot of women on this board do not go back to work at 4 weeks because, yes, you are still healing. and it seems like our UK sisters take even more time off after this surgery.

all i can say is your body will tell you if you are capable of going back or not.

I went back to work in 2 weeks as i also could not take any more time off or i would have lost my business. i did 2 weeks of part time (30) hrs. and then back to my normal schedule. i did ok. i was tired and sitting seemed to be a problem.

every one of us is different. and you must be comfortable with your decision

jane321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2005, 10:13 AM
everyone is different...

I am an elementary computer teacher and had my TAH a week before you. I am taking off 7 weeks (1 week is our spring break). I figured that I only have one chance at healing well through this and I do not want to risk my health with over doing it. I am at one month today. I feel pretty good but still get tired and sore in my belly when I do too much on my feet.

Your students are old enough to understand that they need to help you out. Have them pass out everything and be your delivery people. Let some things slide in your room and do whatever you can to let others help you. If you could rest over your lunch hour, leave right after the kids and have someone else at home doing your chores, you could do this. I think listening to your body is really important and if you are mentally stressing, that is not good for your body either. You will know if you have been doing too much.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.
Unread 03-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Returning to Work?

My surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday and I'm scheduled to return April 20 which includes our spring break. I teach 3rd grade and the doctor has said that I will need to completely rest by the time I get home. Our state assessment is early May and I'm trying to be back to go through that with the students, but my first concern is my healing . I have the time so if need be, I'll take longer.
Unread 03-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Returning to Work?

Everyone is different and heals differently, so listening to your doctor and your body is most important. I had my TAH/BSO in June and returned to work 7 weeks later. I had a previous surgery 6 weeks before the hyst and went back after two weeks which in hindsight was just not enough time to recuperate.

The seven weeks allowed me to fully recuperate and heal. I was able to work full days and was not as tired at the end of the day as I was from the first surgery.

If you are able to take more time, do it for yourself. You won't regret it.

Good luck in your recovery.
Unread 03-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Returning to Work?

Hi,
I had my post op today: 5 1/2 weeks. TAH, kept ovaries. I have been very careful and very good about what I do and do not do. Even though I was getting antsy, and it definitely paid off. Pain decreased about 4 weeks. Really noticed a big difference last week. My Dr said the incision looks good, and it is not hard or stiff at the site which means healing well and no bad scar tissue. I can resume life being very careful. As I do 24 hr shifts, he is giving me the full 8 weeks. Bottom line is TAKE YOUR TIME for you, to get well.you can only heal right 1 time...I am so glad today that I found out I handled my recovery well. (the dust in my house is proof)..Good luck to you..If you do go back, enlist a student helper each day, it will help you, and they will LOVE it...good incentive for co-operative students..
Unread 03-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Returning to Work?

Hi Jenny,
I went back to work part time at 3 weeks. I'm a counselor so I mostly sit all day. I'm almost 6 weeks now and doing just fine. I am tired at night and lay in my bed and watch tv. I think you just have to take a realistic view of your work place. Can you REALLY expect help? I had a lot of support so I didn't have to do anything I didn't feel up to. Good luck however you decide!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register