Insurance approval, surgery date set, and now nerves kick in | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Insurance approval, surgery date set, and now nerves kick in Insurance approval, surgery date set, and now nerves kick in

Unread 03-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Insurance approval, surgery date set, and now nerves kick in

Hi~

This is my 2nd post on Hyster Sisters. Now that everything is coming together, I am getting nervous.

I have known for 15 years that I would need a hysterectomy. And now that time has come. I thought I was mentally prepared, but I guess I am not as prepared as I thought.

The good news is that my insurance company approved the hysterectomy and a two day hospital stay(more days if medically necessary). And the best part is that it will be covered at 100% with no deductible. I am really happy about that.

I guess I am just nervous about the unknown. I was reading a post earlier that said the worst part is the waiting. I truly hope that is true.

I am not a stranger to abdominal surgery. I have had 2 laproscopies, my gall bladder removed, and 5 c-sections. But I do not have a tolerance for pain. The vivid memories of the extreme pain I was in after my 1st c-section are all coming back to me.

Because of my 5 c-sections and adheasions from my endo, I will be having a verticle abdominal incision. I don't think anything can prepare you for that type of incision.

I am so happy that I have found Hyster Sisters. I know the hysterectomy is right for me. The doctors have tried everything else with no succcess. I think I just needed to get my worries out of my head. I know that I am not alone in these worries here. I look forward to any comforting words or wisdom that you can offer.

Take Care,
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2005, 11:00 PM

Karen,
Hi and welcome to the club! I wrote a similar post to your earlier and I have been a nervous wreck since the insurance company told me that I would have all my paperwork in the next 10 to 14 days.
My case is alot like yours. I have endo, cysts, adhesions and I have to have a TAH because my colon and bladder and female organs are all stuck together. We don't know about the ovaries yet.
I thought that I had been prepared mentally - but I wasn't - I went straight into panic mode and suddenly started wondering if surgery was the right thing for me. Then I sat down and started listing all the reasons that I need the hyst and what would change once I had the surgery, things like:
I will stop hurting and having to take pain pills to function
I will stop bleeding to the point that I need a blood transfusion
I will stop having to spend my days laid out on the recliner with the heating pad unable to get up and go shopping and do things
I will be able to go back to school
I will be able to have fun again
I will be able to have my quality of life back
and the choice became completely and totally clear! I need this surgery.
I've heard many women on here say that waiting is the hardest part and I can understand that because you just don't know what's coming and it's hard to prepare for what you don't know. Just hang in there and be strong. Know that you will be on the road to recovery soon and things will get better. Do alot of research and just take it one day at a time.
Best wishes,
Tammy
Unread 03-09-2005, 11:00 PM

Welcome Karen!

If you are looking for comforting words, lessons learned, valuable information and lots of support, then you have come to the right place! Hystersisters is all of that and so much more!

It's normal to be nervous. I was also afraid of the unknown. I had no idea what to expect and that was hard. Good news that your insurance is covering everything. That's one less thing to worry about!

The waiting and anticipation of surgery can be hard. I don't have any experience to share with you regarding incisions because I had a TVH. Many ladies here have had vertical incisions and I'm sure someone will share their experience with you.

Just hang in there and explore this site. I pray that your surgery goes well and you have a good recovery!

Best wishes!

s

Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register