Lack of Estrogen following Hysterectomy - Itching is AWFUL | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lack of Estrogen following Hysterectomy - Itching is AWFUL Lack of Estrogen following Hysterectomy - Itching is AWFUL

Unread 03-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Lack of Estrogen following Hysterectomy - Itching is AWFUL

PLEASE does anyone have a solution for the awful itching that is happening to me inside my vagina way up. The gyn said that it is from the hysterectomy and that the lining thinned and is also from lack of estrogen. She gave me some estrace cream to use and I have used it for 2 weeks with not a heck of a lot of relief. Anyone at all have any other remedies I can use? At times I want to take a hair brush and go up there. (don't worry I won't) I am miserable with this and quiet upset that this lousey condition is left over from the hysterectomy.

Thank you!

I had a TAH in January of 2004. I recovered after 6 months, battling IBS in the meantime and colon polyp cancer insitu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Lack of Estrogen following Hysterectomy - Itching is AWFUL

Hi Barbara

You should give your doctor a call if the Estrace cream isn't working for you. Did your doctor check to be sure you don't have some sort of infection--yeast, bacterial or something else, just to be sure?

Did your doctor prescribe the cream to use nightly for two weeks? Generally that's how it's started and then it's used twice a week thereafter.

There are other options you could ask your doctor about. They are mentioned in this article about vaginal dryness.

Let your doctor know how you are doing and don't try treating this yourself without some guidance from your doctor.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

s
Unread 03-10-2005, 12:03 PM
re: Vaginal itching

Hi April,

Yes, the PA at my gyn's office did run all kids of tests and did an internal taking some cultures and said there was no UTI, bacterial or yeast infection. I was just very irritated up inside. Even the pap smear came back normal. She suggested I use the estrace for 2 weeks to a month every night and then go to twice a week. I just don't feel a lot of relief at all. She suggested an oatmeal bath too to relieve the itching. I have Aveeno and will try that tonight. On top of it all I have bronchitis and a sinus infection. When it rains it pours.

Thank you for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 10:48 PM
itching

WOW - I am having the same problem. I went to my OB and he kept giving me diflucan. Then I went to 1 a day for 3 days. Still no help. My itching starts on the inside and ends on the outside by the clitoris. It is so weird because the minute I feel the discharge come out I start to itch. I was told that after the TVH I would not have anymore discharge. NOT - I even changed doctors. I had mine Dec 2003. I am so sick of not feeling right. The itching about drives me crazy. Does anybody have any solutions?
Thanks
Unread 03-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Itching

Hi,

All I can say is I never had this problem before my TAH. Matter of fact i never had IBS before my TAH or the awful pain on my left side. Yes, it saves lives if you have ovarian or uterine cancer. I had pre-cancer cells, fibroids and endometriosis before the TAH. I had 3 leep procedures which I am sure didn't help my cervix. I know the pain I was in before the TAH was worse then this, but it does make me wonder if there would have been other options. problem is I NEVER see my gyn now.. only the PA. Im sorry but I am a paralegal and not an attorney, so I can't give legal advice, no more then a PA should be able to diagnose me and treat me when the gyn is away. This is at a major Boston hospital too. Very frustratiing.

I hope you feel better. I am going to call the office and get another appt., hopefully with a gyn. I hate the estrace cream. It is not working yet, messy and is making me sore just using it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register