how do you know if you have adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how do you know if you have adhesions how do you know if you have adhesions

Unread 03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
how do you know if you have adhesions

I am over 10 weeks out from SAH & have more sore spots now than at 6 weeks(I think). I had went thru a week or 2 with not a lot of soreness, & last week after shopping at the mall I got sore & have been sore internally ever since as well as some burning feeling when clothes touch. I know nothing about adhesions, how do you know you have them, how do they feel, how are they diagnosed & do they treat. this has me concerned that this is hurting more now than it did 3 weeks ago. I think I have mild vaginal burning & have ongoing trouble with bowels in that I have trouble getting going(nothing like it was before surgery) & then it stirs up hemorrohoids & burning there. I expected this first 8 weeks, now I am a little discouraged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 05:39 PM

Hi smfor,

I know this can seem discouraging, but don't be too alarmed yet. It seems impossible,but you could have just overdone it at the mall. When you do things that use muscles that haven't been in use it can cause the soreness you are talking about. I have experienced it over and over and even further out than you are now. It never hurts to call and ask your dr when you are concerned about things, but if this goes away in a few days, you will know it was probably a case of just doing too much.
Here is a link that tells about adhesions. Hope it helps.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=157375

's, Rita
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:01 PM

Dear smfor,
I had TAH/LSO the day after you and am also having more
pain this week since I did early on. I have sharp pains at
my vaginal cuff that tend to get worse as the day wears on.
Sitting and reclining almost make it hurt worse. I have
even had to take Rx pain meds some. I went to Dr. yesterday
and he thought it might be scar tissue with maybe a nerve
trapped in it. I'm hoping it will resolve on its own. I'm
tired of pain and medications and want to be normal again!
Dr. gave me muscle relaxants that helped some, but again
I'm tired of taking meds and would love a more holistic
treatment. Anyone have any ideas? Any good yoga moves?
May we all feel better soon! My wonderful DH needs me
well,too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 09:17 PM
10 weeks out -- pain!

I'm so glad to know there's other experiencing the same thing I am! I am 2 1/2 months out and on Saturday I rode my bike for the first time since before my surgery. Ever since then, I've been having bowel problems, pain and swelly belly. My abdomen is extremely tender to the touch. I feel worse now than I did right after surgery! It just doesn't make much sense. I had a TAH BSO. I"m going to call my doctor tomorrow, but do y'all think this may be "normal"?

Thanks
Unread 03-10-2005, 10:30 PM

hello

I was having alot of abdominal pain and bm complications after my hyst. At 5 weeks post op my gyn sent me for a cat scan. It showed I had a bowel impaction.I went back to work at 10 weeks, but continued with abdominal pains so my dr. ordered another cat scan at just under 4 months post op. It didn't show any adhesions, although my dr. really thought I had them. He sent me to a adhesion surgeon who expected the same thing. He did a lapro, but he said there was no adhesions holding anything down. He did say I have tons of scar tissue all over my abdominal wall, which is most likely causing the pain. He did explain to me that adhesions don't show up on cat scans or other types of test.
Now at 10 months out I am experiencing more pain than before. I talked to my gyn at my post op appt. for my posterior repair about the ongoing abdominal pain. He still believes I have adhesions. We don't know if the surgeon missed them when in there or if they have just grown larger since my lapro.
I hope you don't have any adhesions. They can be a real problem as our sisters have posted. I had some when opened for my tah. My bladder and uterus was really stuck together and to the abdominal wall. It took my gyn a hour to seperate them.
The only real way to know if you have them is by having a lapro. They can occur right after surgery or it could take years before they develope.
I hope your pain is just part of the healing process.
GOOD LUCK and take it easy.

Peggy
Unread 03-11-2005, 06:29 AM

I just posted earlier this week about adhesions. I'm 4 months post op. I never really felt well after my surgery. The 1st week of Feb I developed a terrible cough that revived pain in my surgery area. I began to have terrible pain in the entire pelvic and back area and developed a fever (thought due to cough). I saw my doc on Feb 21st. He did a laparoscopy on 3/1 that showed extensive adhesions due to a post op infection I had a week after hyst that never went away. My appendix were attached to my left hip bone, intestines were in it and my right ovary was attached to the back of my vagina. He said the only way he could have seen all that was w/ the laparoscopy-he fixed me up and I think I'm finally getting back to my "old self". I hope yours is a case of just "over doing"-if you don't feel better soon let your doc know.
Unread 03-11-2005, 06:34 AM
ouch

I just want to say to all of you post op princesses-

Ouch! I think you deserve some comfort food : and a

I am so sorry you are going through this. From what I read there isn't really anything you can do to prevent adhesions-some people are more prone to them and some are less likely to get them.

It is bad enough to be in pain-try not to feel like it is your fault!
Unread 03-11-2005, 03:12 PM

I am 10 1/2 wk. out now and am experiencing "pulling" and some pain at times where my left ovary was removed. My dr. told me that this pulling at the incision points is normal. The pain started right after I had been to the mall about a week + ago (that'll teach me to shop so much!) so I can really relate to Smfor. Also remember hurting at all my incision points (4 with the LAVH) after I did all my walking.

I was feeling so great and now have this bothersome problem. Today I was "freaking" a little - too much time alone! Thanks for sharing your experience. I think this healing takes a lot of time. Our bodies are going through so many changes. ( I've worried some about adhesions, too. so it was good to read PrareLakeLady's comments.)

Take care. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
don't want to mislead anyone

After I read the comment I wrote I want to clarify that so I don't mislead anyone.

Please take the time to read the article that Precious Pearl put a link to in her response. It does say that most people that have abdominal surgery get adhesions and most don't cause any problems. However they list some warning signs that you should be aware about to get medical care.

It also talks about not overdoing in the initial few weeks after surgery when our bodies are more vulnerable to forming adhesions.

I just meant that if you are careful, don't lift and do strenuous activities in those first few weeks, you can still get adhesions-most people do.

I also did a search on the web and found lots of information about adhesions with pictures and all for those that need visual supports like I do!

I did have a lot of pulling and pinching feelings early on that have gone away now though, so try and be patient too!
Unread 03-11-2005, 03:36 PM

I had my hysterectomy in 2002. I have had 2 additional surgeries since then; one to remove my right ovary and adhesions and another to remove a pelvic tumor and adhesions. I followed all my post-op instructions after my hysterectomy - adhesions can form even if you do everything you are supposed to.

I was having pain and a "tugging" feeling on my right side. The pain was not a sharp pain, it was a dull, constant pain. The pain got worse if I was active or in certain positions. How adhesions feel for people varies - it can depend on the location of the adhesions and how severe they are.

The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery.

Here are a few sites and information that better describe adhesions; why they develop, treatment options & possible prevention:

What Causes Adhesions?

How Are Adhesions Treated?

You might also want to check out the HysterSister Resources section on Adhesions

Take care.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register