Shaving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Shaving

Sorry to ask such a useless question while everyone her is trying to heal up ( I hope you are all doing well). I am having a TAH and I was wondering how long it was before you could bend down to shave your legs. I am wondering if I should go in for a wax before or if I will be able to do shortly after. Again sorry for taking up time for a silly question but if I am not smooth I am not comfy!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Shaving

I don't think I'm normal in this but I had surgery on WED and shaved ankles on up on Sun, standing up in the shower like I shaved before, but it will depend on flexibility and pain level. I had a little discomfort on the right side but had same discomfort there anyway whether laughing or moving. I was just very careful.
Unread 03-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Shaving

Hi,

After surgery, you'll need to avoid bending for several weeks due to the strain it puts on your internal sutures.

I shaved my legs a week after surgery by propping my leg up on the side of the tub.

However, if I had it to do again, I'd go with the wax. Save you several weeks of effort.

s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Shaving

Tanner413,

I don't think this is a silly question at all. I'm going to the castle on 3/22 and I was wondering the same thing But didn't have the courage to ask. I plan on shaving as close as I can the day of surgery, but I guess if it gets to where I can't my DH will have to add one more thing to his list.

I just thought of something maybe if using a cream hair remover before shower? I've never tried it but maybe it just may do the trick.

s
Gloria
Unread 03-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Shaving

Yours is a good question.

I had a TLH, the first time I shaved my legs a few days after surgery I sat on the side of the tub. It was not easy.

In the shower I put a small upside down plastic garbage can to rest my foot on, but it was still uncomfortable for at least two weeks.

Our surgeries are different so our time frames will probably be different for being able to shave.

--Good luck, QB
Unread 03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Shaving

Not a silly question at all.

Go for the wax!
It took me about 3 weeks before I could bend enough to do my legs. Then again, hairy legs was just NOT something I was concerned with post-op.

I was far too busy sleeping to even think about my legs

My wonderful dh did offer to do it for me, but I passed. It took too much energy to sit there to have it done.

many s
Tam
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Shaving

Thanks sisters!!! I felt a little shallow for asking.
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Shaving

One thing you might try is a shower chair. It really helps when you start feeling tired during the middle of washing your hair! I was able to shave my legs since I could sit on the shower chair.
Hang in there!
Judy
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Shaving

i completely agree with judyco - a shower seat made it so much easier to shower (i also got tired washing my hair). that being said, i would still get the wax so that you'll have that much more time before you have to deal with shaving!
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Shaving

Regarding the shower seat, a plastic patio chair (the kind Walmart sells for $10) works very well. You may also want to put a bath mat in the bottom of the tub to keep you and the chair from slipping.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register