Wow! Am I moody! What GIVES?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wow! Am I moody! What GIVES?! Wow! Am I moody! What GIVES?!

Unread 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Wow! Am I moody! What GIVES?!

Hello There,

The road to recovery has been pretty smooth sailing once I figured out the BM stuff, but now I am having mood swings and what appears to be depression. The past 2 days I have been grumpy and don't want to do anything but lay in bed and watch TV. It also feels like I have tears right under the surface waiting to burst forth.

I don't have any reason to be sad. I am really happy to have had my hysterectomy with little or no complications. I have never wanted children... so now there is no worry of that EVER! But still, I am sad. I am moody. I am tired.

Also, my feet and hands can't seem to warm up. Now YES, I live in Minnesota. But my house is a balmy 68 degrees and I wear plenty of loose layers. But the passed 2-3 days I've had to have a hot pad on MY FEET and I have to warm my hands by wearing mittens INDOORS.

WHAT IS THIS? Shall I call my doctor?

What do you think?

Somebody throw me a life line. PLEASE.

Thanks
KLZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 05:55 PM

I went thru the always being cold, just could not get warm for about a week after surgery. I started drinking 8 oz soy protien shake. And that seemed to help. I only cried one day.
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Soy?

How did the soy help?

Interesting?
- KLZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 06:07 PM

KLX,

I had a TAH on 2/09/05. I was able to keep one ovary. I, too am having cold hands and feet and if i drink a cold drink I am cold all over. About the tears, finally that feeling of ready to cry all the time is lifting, but let any emotional stuff happen and I may well up may not. (I also have other pms symptoms ...ongoing for almost four weeks...just starting to ease up....like sore,swollen breasts and fullness in my hands and feet...depressed and feeling dull)

At my 4 week post op doc suggested this was hormonal and my one ovary was working over time to"catch" up.

Do you still have ovaries? I guess either way it could be hormonal and will take time for your body to adjust.

Best of Luck,
Beth
Unread 03-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Hi KLZ, I understand your surprise about the emotion thing. I, too, got along extremely well, and was really shocked at the emotions! It goes along with it. We have put our bodies in major shock and that is just one of the ways that it deals with it. I have found that if I want to cry - I do!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it scares my family to death because I am NOT a cryer, but it does make me feel better!!!!! We can cry together!
Unread 03-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Have an ovary left.

OK. So the depression thing is normal, but I'm not quite understanding the cold hands and feet. What the heck is that about?

- KLZ
Unread 03-10-2005, 10:57 PM

Ladies, it is all hormonal..That's what they mean when they say your body is in shock. It is the hormones fluctuating. And depression is not normal, it is a symptom of an imbalance.

I went through all the same things you have mentioned. Drying, moody, emotional, cold hands and feet, hot and warm flashes, and more, around 4 months post-op. It is all hormonal. I waited for it to get better on its own, thinking that my body was "adjusting". Well, it was, but downward!

I added soy and did my best to eat better and drink lots of water, but eventually went to the doctor and am now on the Climara patch and also using Vagifem for vaginal dryness. After just a day or two of finally adding the hormones, I felt like my "old self" and better.

The soy adds phytoestrogens to your diet, which have the same effect as the hormones. For some gals a good quality soy added to their diet is enough; for me, it wasn't.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that it is not normal to be so emotional, and if it really is bothering you, be good to yourself and get some help. Take care, and keep us posted.
Unread 03-11-2005, 12:31 AM

Hi, I am 6 weeks post-op and I feel the exact same way. I am constantly beating myself up for not feeling normal. I am moody. It is better. I will have a few good days and a really bad day. Sometimes I feel like someone else came home in my body from the hospital. I do not have the drive for my job like I did. Could be the cancer part, but that is over and done and I was very lucky. Maybe I feel like I am being given a second chance and I want to do something different than spend my days with drama queens at work! lol. My doctor has me so scared about going on HRT. I take Effexor and soy vitamins for the hot flashes. Not gone, but better. Effexor is an anti-depressant proven, I guess, to help hot flashes, but the anti-depressant part sure is not working!
Unread 03-11-2005, 08:46 AM

I have all the symptoms you all have. The moodiness, hot flashes. UGH! There the worst at night. As far as the crying well I feel it coming but, I'm refusing to let it hapen. I think thats my way of trying to keep it together for my family. Everyone has always told me I'm so strong and I don't want them to know that sometimes I feel like I'm falling apart at the seams. I don't know how to do this. I can't take hormones because of breast cancer in 2002. Does anyone know how long these menopause symptoms will last without HRT?

Another thing I've been pondering on...
MENopause
MENstruation
preMENstrual syndrom
and GYnocoligist
Isn't it funny how then men are involved in some of out woes LOL
I gotta find better things to do with my time LOL
Unread 03-11-2005, 10:06 AM

Ladybg, I don't think you are being fair to yourself to hide how you feel from your family. I did that until I just couldn't do it anymore - there were a few days I couldn't even get in the shower - and I missed a couple of days of work because of it. I think we need to allow ourselves to be taken care of by our families. I do understand feeling like you are falling apart at the seams - I didn't like it either! I did chuckle at your remark about needing to find something better to do with your time - - - - I think men ARE at the base of a lot of MY problems!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register