3 weeks out, can I drive?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks out, can I drive?? 3 weeks out, can I drive??

Unread 03-11-2005, 07:56 AM
3 weeks out, can I drive??

I am only two weeks out and have only driven the past 2 days. I am no longer taking pain killers so I knew I wouldn't fall asleep behind the wheel or push the other cars out of my way. lol Doc said I could have started driving short distances a week after as long as I wasn't on meds.

Teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2005, 10:22 AM

My doc told me that as long as I am not on any pain meds, that I could drive as long as I could stomp ( like an emergency stop) on the brake hard and not have it hurt.

Have fun !!
Unread 03-12-2005, 01:25 AM

Thanks for all your replies ladies.

Firstly I phoned my car insurance comapany and they said ok to drive as long as I have all clear from my doc. So I phoned the doctors surgery and the bad news came back, NO DRIVING FOR 8 WEEKS! there you have it I've got another 5 weeks to wait before I can drive myself anywhere, I'll probably need driving lessons again by then.

Anyone else had an 8 week driving ban from doc's can't understand it myself, it's also 8 weeks until I get to have my post-op checkup too.

I was a good girl and got a taxi, had a nice time with the walking group people, as well as 1 coffee, 1 bacon roll and 1 cup of tea yum yum. One of the ladies drove me home and then I collapsed on the sofa for the afternoon.

I envy all you ladies who are allowed to drive so soon, at least you can escape the four walls.

take care everyone

Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2005, 01:50 AM

Carol:

Sorry to hear the news wasn't good :cry:

I myself am no where near being close to driving and am also going crazy from the boredom.

While still in hospital, one of the Drs. explained to a Med Student and I that the true test of one's readiness for driving is a simple test. If you can stomp each of your feet on the ground without any abdominal pain, you're ready to drive.

At this point, I can't even walk or stand for more than 5 minutes before the pains start which is why I'm not expecting to drive for a while.

So, I'm not surprised to hear about the 8 week restriction. Just know, others feel your frustration and pain!

~ Heather
Unread 03-12-2005, 06:04 AM

I have not yet had the URGE to drive. However, I have been concerned about having to drive sooner than I am ready to. I am 2 1/2 weeks out and am SO not ready yet!! Took a small outing with my hubby on Thursday and was in bed for the rest of the day. I still hurt alot after only a few minutes of activity.

I had ALOT of abdominal work done and know my recovery will be extensive. My friends have traveled to see me, but I can't wait to have a day out where I get to drive to see them! Most live 1 hour or more from me.

Oh, I tried to shop, even in the "motorized cart". I would not recommend that driving too soon either!!

Just be super careful. You get only one chance to heal, so let your body do it once, at it's pace, and don't be impatient. Your life will come around and will be so much better because you will be healthier!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register