TAH - My Castle Story (Long) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH - My Castle Story  (Long) TAH - My Castle Story (Long)

Thread Tools
Unread 03-11-2005, 12:18 PM
TAH - My Castle Story (Long)

Well my Castle story has mostly good and just a few not so good moments. Monday morning we arrived at the Castle at 8:30. Unlike some others I have heard about on this site - I did NOT have to do an enema the night before or douche or any other prep except for not eating after midnight. (My roommate in the hospital - who had the same doctor as me - had to do BOTH - we aren’t sure why!) After being escorted into the day surgery area and changing into the lovely gown - the nurse tried to put the IV in. I normally have GREAT veins I am told - but apparently this day - not so. After unsuccessfully jabbing at my right hand repeatedly - she moved on to my left. After she placed the IV in - she left - I happened to glance over and see my left hand blowing up like a balloon….apparently the IV wasn’t in right and all the blood was pooling under my skin in my hand. Oooops - call for the nurse. She calls for another nurse and they decide to put the IV in under my forearm. So I have lots of stab marks and bruises all over me! Woohoo! They then let my hubby in to say goodbye and as they are wheeling me into the OR I am put under. I don’t remember much about the recovery room or getting moved to my room. I do remember my hubby bringing the kids in and saying HI and then they were off to dinner. I remember pushing the pain button a couple times and then the next thing I know I am being yelled at by a doctor calling my name. I was told all this the next day as I have no memory of it. Apparently I am super-hyper-sensitive to medicine - I could have told them that as I don’t take ANY over the counter stuff - and the pain meds they had in my little push button thingy sent me into a coma-like deep sleep. They weren’t sure at first what was going on with me - I guess they thought I “threw a clot” or something worse - cause they called two doctors in from home and had 5 nurses working on waking me up and getting me conscious again. My blood pressure was 60/30 and they couldn’t get any blood to take a blood count. I should mention that my blood count going into the surgery was 7.6 - too low - and they did give me a unit of blood during surgery to help this. I had been very anemic prior to surgery due to the heavy bleeding for several months straight. They finally got me awake by shutting off the pain medicine - which was excruciating - I can remember screaming that no one was listening to me - that I wanted to die the pain was so bad - at which one doctor said “not on my watch”. LOL. They finally got me settled and I spent a sleepless night talking to my roommate who shared all I had missed while I was under. She had a front row seat for all the goings on. We found out we both had the same doctor and similar jobs and a lot in common. She was a lifesaver while I was in there….I can only hope all of you have great roommates too! I had some minor problems with the catheter - they had to replace it that first night - very uncomfortable. The next day started better - I got up and walked after they took out the catheter. They had stopped the push button meds and gone to straight percocet - which I promptly threw up - oh that felt great on the tummy - NOT! They then decided to go with just 800 mg of Ibuprofen for the rest of my stay. Much better. Second night started out ok - bathroom trips every 2 hours - finally sometime in the wee hours of the morning on a trip to the bathroom the drainage “ball” that was hanging out of me “popped” open and spewed the icky drainage junk all over me. I pulled the nurse cord in the bathroom and just sat there and cried. It was more than my tired mind and body could take. I just felt overwhelmed and exhausted and there I was sitting in my own drainage gunk. Yuck. The blessed nurse came, cleaned me up and put me back to bed like a baby. Third day should have seen me sent home - but blood count still too low - they brought in another unit of blood and poured that into me. They decided to keep me another night to make sure my blood count would come up. I went home Thursday morning. Hubby and kids have been very attentive and wonderful - getting by with cream of wheat and soup for the first few days. After that I started on an apple a day and some grilled cheese. I had NO problems with bowels - I think it was because I had a very light weekend before the surgery - kept my meals those last two days soft foods - and also because I stopped the ginger ale after one cup in the hospital - and the ice chips started to give me gas too - swallowing too much air as I chewed them - so I stopped those. And I am sure the apples helped. Had the typical leg balloons on the first night - but nothing after. Had oxygen on the first night and next day - made the nose dry and itchy. Caught a terrible cold in the hospital that I brought home and sneezed and coughed for a week with - thought I was popping stitches - but I guess not! LOL! All in all it was a good stay. We had the BEST group of nurses - I have read horror stories on here about other sisters hospital stays and their awful nursing care - I feel bad for you. I was so blessed - each and every one of our nurses was exceptional. It was like we were the only patients they had to take care of. My doctor was awesome - came in at 7 AM every morning like clock work even if she was in past midnight the night before delivering babies! She was superb! Thanks to all the sisters on this site - the pre-surgery information was wonderful and very helpful….blow drying the incision after showering was genius! I am 11 days post op and feeling pretty good. I almost think I could go back to work before the six weeks are up! God Bless you all!

Sponsored Links

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
0 Reply, Started By ElenaM
0 Reply, Started By elbaS
0 Reply, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories
3 Replies, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories
0 Reply, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories


Hysterectomy News

December 3,2021


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!