occasional strong oder in urine | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

occasional strong oder in urine occasional strong oder in urine

Unread 03-11-2005, 12:20 PM
occasional strong oder in urine

It's been almost a year since my tah and both overies removed. April 5th. I'm wondering if anyone else may know what this urine smell is from. It's not everyday, I've monitored my food and drink and it doesn't matter what I've injested. It's a chemical smell, It reminds me of the smell of tupintine. very strong. When I first noticed it last fall, I went to the Dr., . She said there was a trace of blood in my urnine. Did test and a culture. Had infection. took medicine. About a week later It returned so I had another test done. It came back normal. Has anyone have any info about what this may be. I've never had this before. It's not the smell from eating asperagus. ( I'm still haveing problems with my bowles (constipation) and acid reflux. The later problems started simotaniously, 2-1/2 months after my operation. )

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2005, 05:57 PM

Hi ((Rozoo))) I can only imagine how unsettling this must be

While I've noticed a change in the color and odor of my urine, since my hyst, I've also noticed that this affected by my hormones: when I'm in the PMS portion of my cycle (I kept my ovaries), my urine tends to be darker and a lot more pungeant. Also, I've started taking natural products to help with the menopausal symptoms I'm now having and I notice that my urine and bowels have changed: a chemical type of smell and, again, darker... and stools tend to be looser.

Is it possible that the changes you've noticed are produced by hormonal changes or by meds you may be on?
Unread 03-14-2005, 07:59 AM

It's been almost a year since my surgery & my urine has a much stronger odor & is sometimes murky looking. Since I am prone to UTI's I was going to call my Dr to have it checked out, but I have no other signs of a UTI. I normally get a burning sensation & the feeling that I haven't emptied my bladder completely. Maybe it's just from the hormonal changes. Be interesting to see if anyone has these symptoms. I'm glad you started this thread.
Take care
Robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2005, 09:49 AM
I can relate to this...

Dear Sisters,

I too have noticed a strong odor these past few months. I can't blame it on any new meds etc. So, I don't know what it could be from. No sign of a UTI etc...

I have no insight to shed on this, but wanted to pop in to say that I too have this going on (although I can't describe the odor).

Yes, it will be interesting to hear other comments...Let us know if you find out anything...
Unread 03-15-2005, 09:24 AM

Hi all..
I have noticed the same this also...I always have had no change in meds

Interesting to see others with the same issues..I'll be anxious to see/hear from others about this, exp those who have gotten answers to the cause

(((hugs))
Unread 03-18-2005, 01:03 PM

Has anyone had the dr check you for diabeties?????? The strong smell that you are describing reminds me of asocedosis ( proubly wrong spelling) its a diabetic condition where sugar is going into the kidneys. Sometimes your breth would smell like you have been drinking and your urine would smell like terpintine.

im a diabetic thats the only reson that i know about this.....

JessicaS
Unread 03-18-2005, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the insight ((((Jessica)))). I can't talk for the others but, in my case, I am being monitored for diabetes, as it runs on both sides of my family and I was borderline for gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy. I know that gestational diabetes can lead to type II diabetes, later on (I guess, at 48 and in peri-menopause, I've reached that "later on" )

I remember that putrid smell when my dad's sugar wasn't control
Unread 03-18-2005, 06:07 PM

me too!
when i asked my dr. at my post op appointment he said his patients had mentioned the same odor. however at 8 months post op i notice the smell but have not kept track of when, or my diet. but i became diabetic during pregnancy also and my father developed diabetes in his 60's.

jane321

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register