~SO~ MANY PILLS...how can I remember to take them all??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

~SO~ MANY PILLS...how can I remember to take them all??? ~SO~ MANY PILLS...how can I remember to take them all???

Unread 03-12-2005, 08:48 PM
~SO~ MANY PILLS...how can I remember to take them all???

...or ~should~ I even take them all???

Okay ladies...I posted about a month ago about nerve blocks. Well, I had one ~inguinal~ nerve block that did not relieve my severe pelvic pain. So, on 3/9, I had laparoscopic surgery. No hernias were found...only a damaged inguinal nerve in combination with my vagina being fused (by adhesions) to my bowel...which is now corrected. Besides the 6 incisions all around my tummy and abdominal cavity...I am in less pain now than before the surgery...yippee...

The only problem is my Dr wants me to take the following:

Elavil - 20mg - at bedtime
Cymbalta - 30mg for 1 wk, then 60mg - at bedtime
Neurontin - 300mg - 4x per day
Elmiron - 100mg - 3x per day
Atarax - 10mg 3x per day then 20mg @ bedtime

Before this, I was on Vivelle-Dot .1mg patch 2x per week and progesterone drops nightly (25 days each month).

I guess my main problem is I'm not convinced that I ~need~ to take so many medications. I don't want to fry my brain or destroy my liver. And, Cymbalta??? Never heard of it. I don't want to see a lawyer commercial 2 years from now about 'if you've taken Cymbalta, please call us immediately'...

I don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2005, 03:33 AM

Lulu,

I know all about taking so many meds...I have 5 prescriptions I take at this time, i did have six including prednisone, but I finished that one..LOL

Okay Let's go over what each of these drugs are for:

Elavil---is an antidepressant, but taken in low doses especially at night (to help you sleep) is to help relieve some chronic pain, especially nerve pain

Neurontin----is an antiseizure med, but also is given for nerve pain (I took this when I had shingles and it helped alot)

Cymbalta---is a new antidepressant and is a combo drug...the ingredients in this also can help with pain perception, like if you have a low thresh hold to pain, it can increase it...I took this, did not help with that, but helped a lot with the depression I had because of the chronic pain

Elmiron----is a med for intercistial cystitis---a bladder disease

Atarax---is given for anxiety or nausea..it can also be given with pain meds to help increase their effect.

If you are at all concerned with this, then please do not hesitate to call your doc and question him about all these meds. I can tell you that with 4/5 of these meds are going to make you very sleepy, so you need to be aware of that.
But like I said, if you have any doubt, please call your doc...another thing, don't abruptly stop most of these medications.
Unread 03-13-2005, 11:52 AM

Lulu,
I agree with Marian, if you have any concerns about these meds please do talk with your doctor.

As to how to remember to take them, I take alot of supplements and what I did was to buy a seven day pill container. The one I have has 4 slots for each day. On Saturday morning, I get all my bottles out of the medicine chest and divvy up my pills for the week. This saves alot of time in the morning and evenings, and helps me to not forget any of my supplements.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2005, 05:06 PM

Thanks! I suppose I'm going to have to buy a day-of-the-week pill box. I have a timed pill box; but, it only has 3 slots.

I have pretty much studied all of the medications I've been prescribed. I just can't seem to demand (and receive) enough of my Dr's time to get all my ?'s answered. It just seems useless to me to be on ~SO~ many meds when over half of them seem to be for the same thing. I tried telling him that when he called to check on me post-op; but, he just went into some lingo about what each of them are than why ~I~ specifically need to be taking ~all~ of them.

He called me ~high maintenance~ after my surgery was over; but, after NEVER having my ?'s answered after my TAHBSO 2 years ago, I have high expectations of my Dr's.

If I ~need~ to be on all these meds, then fine, hopefully he can prove it to me; but, until then, I guess I'll just take a few and hold out on the others until I speak to him.

He hasn't seen "high maintenance" yet!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry...just uneducated with all these new meds and frustrated.

Thanks for listening.
Unread 03-13-2005, 05:55 PM

Lulu,
If you think your doc is not spending the time with you that is needed and if he/she perhaps is not knowledgeable about the problems you are having, than maybe it's time for another opinion. My gyn was great before the hyst, but not so great for my problems afterwards.

Unread 03-14-2005, 06:17 AM

Lulu,

I know how you feel, too. At one point, I had 5 Rx meds I was taking. I'm down to 2 now. It's SOOO important that you make your doctor talk to you about those medications. If you aren't comfortable taking them all - then let him/her make the decision of which one(two/three) are the most important for you to be on. If you aren't satisfied with how he is handling your care, get a second opinion. You shouldn't feel like he is not willing to spend time with you. Remember that YOU are paying HIM to treat you. And if he has a problem with that, then you need to find a new doc anyway. Cause he clearly doesn't "get it"! But what struck me as odd was that you never mentioned that you had intersticial cystitis - but yet he put you on Elmiron. (or did I miss that?)

I hope you get things sorted out! Good luck - and take care!

Cortney
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cmharmon
But what struck me as odd was that you never mentioned that you had intersticial cystitis - but yet he put you on Elmiron. (or did I miss that?)

Cortney
I was thinking the same thing Courtney when I saw the list before my post. Maybe there is another reason for taking it, but I am not aware of any with this drug.

If you feel that your doc doesn't have the time to explain these things to you, then I strongly suggest seeking out a second opinion. You have every right to demand the time for him to explain the reasons behind all these meds.
Unread 03-14-2005, 05:26 PM

I do have IC...that's why I he prescribed the Elmiron. I took the Elmiron a couple years ago for the IC and it didn't help within 3 months and it was ~too~ expensive and the benefit (or lack thereof) wasn't worth the cost. I have different insurance now so I may try the Elmiron for longer to see if it works.

I have decided ~not~ to take the Cymbalta because I can't afford it. I bought one week's worth last week and it was $21. I knew when the others came in it'd be expensive; but, it was $136 for 3 weeks worth--NOT!!!

And, this guy is the 6th Dr I've been to about all of these issues. So, hopefully I'll be able to get him to spend more time with me during my postop checkup because I ~really~ don't want to change again.
Unread 03-29-2005, 08:40 AM
hmm

I wanted to say that it disturbs me that your doctor would call you "high maintenance" for expecting him to answer all of your questions--that is his JOB, and should be a given--especially in a sitation such as yours, which is fraught with uncertainties and so many questions...let me say that I would absolutely under no circumstances accept a statement like that from one of my physicians at this point in my treatment--if one of them called me "high maintenance", they'd be pulling my foot out of their ***. Honestly though--you should feel you can ask as many questions as you need to ask--if you feel you will need a longer-than-normal visit, then let them know that when you make the appointment, out of coutesy, so they can account for it, but your doctor should be willing to listen to EVERY concern you have. I'm sure he gets paid enough....and that is his JOB--he works for YOU.

As for the meds, I make it easy by taking most of mine at bedtime, and keeping them right by my bed. So it is part of my going-to-bed ritual. And my pain meds I keep in a pill box so I can remember when to take them. You really want to listen to your doctor's rationale behind prescribing what he has--many drugs have "off-label" or different uses than their ordinary ones, or can be useful in combinations with other drugs in ways they aren't by themselves--so maybe there is a reason he is prescribing them in the way he has. I'm just saying maybe check with him before you stop taking them, to see. It can't hurt. Ha, pardon the pun...it can't hurt more than you do already!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register