struggles with depression and surgical menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

struggles with depression and surgical menopause struggles with depression and surgical menopause

Unread 03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
struggles with depression and surgical menopause

hello ladies,
I had a TAH/BSO 2 yrs ago plus bladder surg. a yr and a half ago for a complication ( fistula) and I have had problems with depression and mood swings...and really just getting back to normal..what ever that is....My recovery was slow due to the fistula...and I developed a chemical imbalence that put me in the pcyh. unit of the hosp for observation...and it was terrible..because I was dragging that awful bag on my leg through out the time...went home feeling almost as bad as when I first went in...
Since then I have been on antidepressants and panic disorder meds...which seem to help...I have a difficult time working full time and when my boss was in a bad mood and yelled at me and my co worker for some trivial thing..I burst into tears and went home...I saw my dr and he changed my meds. (depression and bp pills) and suggested I take a week off...then my boss gave me another 2 wks off and replaced my job position when I was gone...and now Im not sure if she wants me back or not...I feel like I want to stay home..I do not feel as secure and as self confidnt as I was before...I feel thin skinned, take every thing to heart...and tired...I have began to develop diabetes type 2, which a friend of mine developed soon after a hysterectomy too..is this connected too, depression, hormones, illness, tireness...and yet after 2 yrs...I dont feel the same...I feel like someone I don't even know...yet I do not regret the surg..I had adeno, fibroid tumors and extreme bleeding...so I am so glad to not have to go through all the pain and suffering I had.I am so confused... I dont want to go back to work, or face the boss who gave me a hard time...I don't sleep well...everything seems overwhelming...and at 54 it is not easy to start over...thanks for listening and is anyone else going through anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2005, 03:10 AM

Hi Kat;
I'm so sorry to read that you are having some problems.

I'm glad you are working things through with your doctor. I urge you to continue to do so as only he or she can help you with your medication.

Are you able to be off work for long? I hope you are able to get plenty of rest and continue to heal. You have been through a lot.

Are you using or able to use HRT? If not you need to discuss your options with your doctor and if you are already using them then you should ask for blood tests to see how your hormones are.

I'm sorry I'm not much help. I saw your post and really just wanted to give you a big
Hopefully, someone with better information will stop by and help you more.

Take one day at a time and soon you will have your day!

Take care and let us know how you are!

Sybie
Unread 03-13-2005, 04:51 AM

Big s from me too.
You have been through so much. Please take care, rest, and keep in touch with your doctor.

Just not sleeping alone, can cause so much trauma to our emotions. Add in the uncertainty at work?

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2005, 07:07 AM

You have been through an awful lot physically which can reak havoc on our emotional status. Are you on HRT? If you can not take it, then ask your doc about herbal supplements that can help and if you are, then you might need a bump up...regardless you need to have your doc evaluate your symptoms again.
With everything you have been through, it is no wonder that you are experiencing these emotions. If you are financially okay without working for now, I would not go back to work until you get everything to an even keel.
I wish you the best and please keep us updated.
Unread 03-13-2005, 07:23 AM
mid 50's

Dear Kat,
As one who is also in my mid 50's I send my 's.

I am not having the same problems you are, and I am on HRT, but I still get teary eyed at work sometimes. I love my job, but there are times in every day that I just want to go home, play a computer game and not have any more interaction with people.

You mentioned you are starting to develop diabetes-if you get a book by Dr. Strand called What Your Doctor Doesn't Know about Nutritional Medicine may be killing you, you will find some very good information about how that all works. He has another called Releasing Fat-whether you are overweight or not. My DH's (who has bipolar and anxiety disorder) psychiatrist recommended it. Some of the information is very useful for people with depression, bipolar, diabetes and menopause. It is not to replace your medications at all, but to enhance how they work in your body. It is all based on research for the past 20 years.

Unread 03-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Thank You!

Yes I have been through an ordeal...the fistula I think was the worst. The waiting for the repair seems like forever..and I should feel very happy that it all went so well...I have heard far worst stories than mine....I am taking HRT, the very lowest dose, my dr really wants me to not take it and go completely without...and with the moods and depression I have, I really don't want to try that...on the other hand I do not want to risk breast cancer...ooo its so fun to be a woman..huh? So I don't know what to do...I think the pychological scars are the hardest to heal..and I didnt have a support system and my mom had just died...so it all figured together...thanks for your reply...its just nice to know there is someone out there that understands and cares ...that helps a lot...and so do virtual hugs...love, kat:hair:
Unread 03-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Love you , Ladies!

thank you all for your kind replies...I think emotional health is so important because it effects our physical health...let something become unbalenced and we "lose" it. I feel like those around me know nothing of what I feel or am going through..everyone is so much stronger than I am, it seems like that..anyway. I used to be able to work full time, keep house, cook meals, do the taxi service for the kids, I have 2+a japanese exchange student...total 5 +extra teen friends....lol...but recently on my "crash and burn" day, I couldn't cope with a big mess at home...dishes, laundy, cat boxes, the family wasn't helping as much as I thought they should, there was a meeting every night, a kid's club, boy scouts, debate team, chess club, church duties...you name it...I needed a time out...and I sure don't want to go back to the job that stressed me out too...I just feel so weepy and having a pity party with one invited...me! I still tend to feel that '"swelly belly" once in awhile...sometimes have bladder spasms..which is not unusual for surg in that area..Ive heard it takes up to a yr to heal....but it works fine...sexual response is not all that great...Ive lost a lot of my feeling emotionally and physically...not sure why..anti depressants probably...and I miss feeling that way...I used to be very intimate with my dh of 20 yrs...and its a shame to not be the same...dr told me it would make no difference, but hes wrong..at least with me...my dh tries to understand but it is beyond his understanding, and I am weary of trying to express myself, who ever I am...I do need to help bring income in..we do need sadly, two incomes...that is also part of the pressures on me...so not sure..with spirits sagging and body aching ..what can I do that is not so challenging...not sure...well ty for listening to my whining...seems thats all I do anymore...hugs kat
Unread 03-13-2005, 03:32 PM

thank you eveyone.....hugs from Me!!!![size=3][font=times new roman][color=blue]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register