will i now be an old hairy prune? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will i now be an old hairy prune? will i now be an old hairy prune?

Unread 03-13-2005, 06:21 AM
will i now be an old hairy prune?

hi all, hope one of you can help.Im 4 weeks post hyst both overies taken and therefore i am in surgical menopause.if i dont take any hrt etc what will happen. im 49 this year and was still having periods pre op..will i dry up,look 80,and have hairs on chin wandering around in a brain-fog...anyone out there normal with no hrt.....do you look ok?more to the point do you feel ok?...when the menopause symptoms are gone do you still look and feel your age....any answers?i am a bit worried as there is so much conflicting info around.
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2005, 07:02 AM

Hi, Sabina!

I'm 56 and had my TAH/BSO shortly before my 55th birthday. I chose not to use HRT for a wide variety of reasons, and there have been changes in my body since the surgery. Are they due to lack of hormones or just natural aging? I don't know. I can only tell you that I am not a dried up wrinkled prune and I'm not walking around with a cane or chinny whiskers. In fact, I've never felt better in all my life. For me the approach to this whole menopause thing has been a mental one. I watched my mother and her sister sail through this time of life, and they both claimed that keeping busy and having the right attitude made all the difference. I've found their words to be true. As I was recovering I made a plan to step up my activities when the doctor gave me the green light. I work full time and do a lot of volunteering at my church and through a number of civic organizations. With all of that I don't have time to think about getting old! That doesn't mean I'm ready for any beauty pageants, but I'm not in line for a senior home, either!
Unread 03-13-2005, 07:12 AM
HRT/no HRT and middle aged

You asked if there was anyone "normal" out here?

My aunt is in her 60's and had a hyster 20 years ago-she doesn't take any HRT, just calcium for bones. She runs daily, golfs, swims, goes on trips all over the world-she has wrinkles, but then so does everyone after a certain age! She feels fine.

I was having periods and no signs of menopause before my hyst last summer. I decided to take HRT for a variety of reasons, including my skin, bones, muscle aches, and my poor overworked brain. The HRT is only a small percentage of what my body was producing before.

I think it is good to do research and make decisions, but then to keep an open mind based on how you feel. Unless you have a medical reason not to, if you start feeling terrible, you are always allowed to change your mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2005, 12:36 PM

Thank you for your replies you are an inspiration and very sensible i intend to face life full on when i get the go ahead and i will see if i get any symptoms i cant cope with and i will decide what to do without beating myself up about it at this stage
thank you both again you have been really helpful hugs
Unread 03-13-2005, 10:42 PM

I'm 47 years old and at 16 weeks. I was still having periods prior to my surgery and am not on HRT now. My biggest change has been that people keep telling me how great I look. I knew the pain had been wearing on me, but I didn't know what a toll it had taken on my appearance. Several people who haven't seen me since before my surgery are shocked. One person even asked me if I'd had a face lift.

My complexion is better and I'm losing weight. My energy is increasing every week. So far so good!
Unread 03-14-2005, 01:23 AM

dear eubbie
thanks!!!!! again you too are an inspiration and really helpful thanks for your input

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register