Bladder suspension? oh no!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder suspension? oh no!? Bladder suspension? oh no!?

Unread 03-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Question - Bladder suspension? oh no!? Bladder suspension? oh no!?

Hi...I am scheduled for a TAH; just got a call that a "bladder suspension" is also going to be done. The nurse that spoke to me said all would be explained at my pre-op 3-25-05. I looked in the section on this site that offers some insight on terms & procedures but did not see anything re: suspension. Can any one give me some insight?
Thanks so much!
(as if I am not nervous enough, they throw this unknown in on me!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Bladder suspension? oh no!?

Hi There are many ways a bladder suspension can be done. Some of them have fancy names, often either descriptive of the procedure or materials used, or named after the person who developed them. The simplest method just involves shortening the ligaments that hold up the bladder.

You'll need to ask your DR which method is planned for you; then you should be able to find ladies here who've had the same procedure.

You might also ask your DR if you are likely to go home with a catheter. I did, but was lucky because my DR had prepared me ahead of time for that possibility. Otherwise I think I would have been quite upset about it - and needlessly, because it really wasn't a big deal at all.

Good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-14-2005, 05:55 PM

Thank you Linda! The mention of the bladder procedure certainly threw me...I don't talk w/my Dr. as much as I would like; most communicating is done through the nurses in his office. They are very good and patient though--they seem to have the time to explain things for the most part. Dr/ just kinda whooshes by...
however He is very good at what he does and I am confident in his ability.
Thanks again for your reply!
Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 08:07 PM

I had a bladder suspension procedure called Burch Procedure on 02/14. I had the procedure done at the same time as a TAH. I had to self catheterize for about 1 1/2 weeks but have been good since. Peeing takes some work as my bladder still tender - difficult to completely empty.

I hope I will be glad I had it done as experience with catheter was not pleasant. Already I have had some sneezes without leaking, so I hope it is a good sign.

Good Luck!
Unread 03-17-2005, 01:56 PM

Thanks TGL...the thought of a catheter at home just plains scares me! This all is becoming so overwelming---I just want everything done with. I get the heebie-jeebies bad just thinking of the upcoming TAH. Oh my Oh my.
Hope all works out for you!
Unread 03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Question - Bladder suspension? oh no!? DUB and GUSI March 23rd

I also am getting my bladder tied up along with a hysterectomy next week. I keep having to remind myself that I am getting both done at the same time. Work about 55 to 60 hours a week as an assistant manager for a large retailer I wonder how much longer than the estimated 4 weeks I will be out. Any one have any ideas
Unread 03-17-2005, 07:46 PM

(((jdombro))) everyone's experience is unique. I think an average (realistic) estimate would be six to eight weeks, and you'd want to go back gradually, maybe half days at first and working up to your former schedule. Your mileage may vary, of course!

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-17-2005, 08:40 PM

Hi Jdombro,

I have to agree with Linda, at least 6 weeks for this. I had a LAVH with bladder repair/sling and thought I'd go back at 4 weeks, but I just was not ready. The bladder can take along time to heal. I'm going to try and go back on Monday for a few hours a day (it will be 6 weeks for me), but have no idea how it's going to go. I've been taking walks daily, but I'm always sore afterwards and do a lot of resting. If you are on your feet a lot it may be difficult to be back any sooner then 6 weeks, especially if you plan on putting in longer hours. Also, it's hard to sit with the repairs that are done, I really didn't feel comfortable sitting in regular chairs (i.e. like a desk chair) until 4 weeks. This varies from person to person, depending on how you are healing up, so it could take a little longer or you could be feeling great at 4 weeks.

Take care, jmw
Unread 03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Wink - Bladder suspension? oh no!? Bladder suspension? oh no!?

JMW and Surferbabe
Thank you so much for the response. It gives me a better idea what I am looking at.
Unread 03-23-2005, 12:18 PM

I also had the Burch Procedure. When I went for my 6 week, I asked dr why my bladder still seems to empty slow and gets kinda painful sometimes. He said to give it 3 more months. I'm very hopeful because I've had stress incontinence for years. I really would like to be able to jog, play volleyball or cough without worry!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register