Can anyone share there story on an abnormal pap after surgery or radiation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can anyone share there story on an abnormal pap after surgery or radiation? Can anyone share there story on an abnormal pap after surgery or radiation?

Unread 03-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Can anyone share there story on an abnormal pap after surgery or radiation?

Hi I was just curious if anyone had a perosnal story to share on an abnormal pap after surgery and if their doctor informed them that this is common.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 09:34 AM

Hi Gio,

I don't have a story to share about this, but I wanted to post here so it would get bumped up. I never get the results of my vault smears. I usually am not told anything about them at all. The last time I went in I had to have an MRI to check on some discomfort I was having. When the nurse gave me the results of the MRI, she also mentioned that my pap was "within normal limits." I am not sure what that means.

Fortunately, I trust my Gyn/Onc totally and completely. He is very proactive on any possible problems. So I know that if there was something wrong, it would be checked into.

You seem to be unsure about your results and your Doc's explaination. Do you not trust your Doc? I hope you find the answers you need. I wish you peace of mind.

Sharon
Unread 03-16-2005, 08:46 PM

I don't ever get my pap results either. The doctor says he'll call if there's a problem. So I don't know if mine show abnormal cells or not. I assume that they probably do show some abnormality since I had internal radiation and there is lots of scaring on cervix.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 09:13 PM

I am in the midst of this story at the moment. I have to see a specilist April 7th. I read that it is normal for abnormal results after surgery and treetment. But I well have more of a story after the 7th.
Donna
Unread 03-17-2005, 02:49 AM

Gio,

I keep a copy of all my pap results in a file so that I know that nothing fell through the cracks. I also like to know specifically what the results were.

You sound as though you are quite concerned about your abnormal pap findings, so why not ask your gyn-onc to redo the test now rather than wait three months? I know when I received the pap result that the cytotechnologist could not read due to "sparse cellularity," (a fairly common cellular change after pelvic radiation) my gyn-onc had me come back in the following week in and redid the test. I would suspect that this will relieve your anxiety over the uncertainty of your pap results.

Hang in there, Gio, waiting for test results and obtaining clarification on slight abnormalities in test results are always anxiety-producing processes.

Good luck,

MoeKay
Unread 03-18-2005, 03:32 AM

Gio,

I just went through this a few weeks back. My one year Pap post TAH/BSO came back abnormal (ASCUS). My doctor followed up on these results with a colposcopy which is a procedure that utilizes a microscope apparatus to better visualize the tissues. A vinegar solution is swabbed, and some how if there is a color change from this solution, then a biopsy of the area would be part of the procedure. Nothing abnormal came from the test, and suprisingly my tissues looked pretty good. Both my Gyn and Gyn Onc attribute these results to changes from lack of estrogen, and neither feel any type of treatment is necessary to try to reverse these results because the treatment would be estrogen cream which could open up another Pandora's box for those who have had endometrial cancer. As my doctor explained, if the results showed glandular cells he would have been concerned but this was not the case. My doctor also went on to say that he gets back about 10 of these type of Pap results a month in his post menopausal patients who have never had any type of cancer; hence a very common occurence.

Hope my story eased a little of your fears.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register