abdominal infection 12wks out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abdominal infection 12wks out abdominal infection 12wks out

Unread 03-16-2005, 02:33 PM
abdominal infection 12wks out

Ladies, I hope someone out there can help me out by sharing any similar experiences? Or am I just a rare bird. I had my tvh on 11/30/04, felt fine but by 12/15/04 I was back in the hospital with what the doctor said was a blood clot that infection set in and the installed a drain that they removed 2 days later and I was on antibotics 2 different ones for one week. That all seem to clear up no problems after that. My 6 wk ckup was fine and clear and I was given permission to go about my normal routines. I went back to work in the middle of Jan. ( desk job). I was felling great wearing jeans again and decided that come Feb. I would start my walking on the treadmill only in the warmup. I had felt as though I there was a pressure in my abdomen. I do drink way to much diet coke so I thought it too be a bladder infection and started to drink cranberry juice. Well the first week in Feb my son had a stomach bug. Only for 24 hrs, no fever just loose bowels and vomiting. So a week and half later when I woke up with a unpleasant feeling in my gut I thought that I got the same thing. After 2 days of diarreha and vomiting I went to the dr. he said I should go to the Hospital and He confirmed I had a bladder infection and gave me antibotics and made me promise to go to he hospital.I started to vomit every hour sometimes within 20-40 minutes and I never got dry heaves even though I could not eat. After they did a ct (02/19/05)they thought bowel obstruction, but when the surgeon opened me up he said that my entire abdomen was full of infection. They took my appendix and that was fine. They drained 8 canisters of infection from a tube that was down my throat to my stomach and then the had to go back in (02/27/05) to clean out my abdomen and install another drainage tube beside the jp I had had for a week. On 03/05/05 I was sent home with a 2wk antibotic regimne. I have almost died and I am so fearful that this will never go away. I have gone thru the first wk at home and I am exhausted, in pain, and I am overwhelmed thinking about the hospital bills since we have no insurance and do not qualify for assistance. I have looked at posts but have only found infections to incisions. Anyone Help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 04:13 PM

hi there. my infection was internal with different pockets, but the poison found its way out through the weakest point it could find, being my recently healed ab wound (staples had been removed 5 days previously) when it all came pouring out, the relief was unbelievable!! Then back to hospital for all the antibiotics, but the nurses let the wound close before all the badness was out, so i was back to square one really. 6 months later,and all this has completely slowed down the healing process for me, as the infection had eaten through flesh inside my belly (2 months to close the internal hole) i dont know if how i feel is normal, as most people dont have this complication. i hear about women feeling more or less normal at the 6 month stage, and i certainly dont feel that, but then again, when i think of how bad it was back then, i should'nt complain, as it does seem to have healed up. i just don't feel completely 'right' if you know what i mean. i hope that your recovery gets back on track really soon, and wish you well ...mo...
Unread 03-16-2005, 05:41 PM

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your serious complication. One of the main reasons for my TAH/BSO was recurrent ovarian infections that kept landing me in the hospital (in serious danger of dying)for IV antibiotics. It was scary and it took a lot of serious antibiotics to combat the infections. Sometimes it takes a combination of antibiotics to knock everything out. Hang in there. Try to focus on your rest and healing. The bills will wait. Most hospitals can and will arrange payment plans. I'm still paying off my Nov '04 stay. Haven't seen the hyster bills from Jan '05 yet....

I'm sending s and ing for a speedy and complete recovery. and a big lottery win!!

Jennifer

TAH/BSO 1/14/05

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register