10 days out - question for veterans | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Work it Out - Fitness in Action

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 days out - question for veterans 10 days out - question for veterans

Unread 03-17-2005, 07:02 PM
10 days out - question for veterans

Hey Sisters,
I'm 10 days out from surgery and I've been VERY good about resting and just moving around when possible. Today I woke up feeling GREAT and since I could finally drive today, I ventured out to Target to buy some shampoo. Well, when I came home I felt like I had run a marathon and needed a nap! I am shocked that I felt so tired from doing nothing, really.

Before my LAVH, I had been a fitness instructor for over 12 years and was in very good condition. Due to my severe anemia and just general ickiness, I felt like I should stop working out about 2 weeks before my surgery and now it's been almost 4 weeks since I've worked out.

My muscles are literally fading away and my shape is changing. I've lost about 8 pounds since the surgery and I feel like it's all muscle I've lost! I honestly thought that because I was in good shape before, I'd heal quicker but now I'm wondering if I might have been fooling myself.

My question is - how long until I can do more than a 15 minute venture to Target without feeling pooped?? Anyone else who was fit prior to the surgery and then compeltely lost it? I know it's only been 10 days - but I'm just startled by how bad I felt today! Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 07:15 PM

hiya followinghim! I had several surgeries leading up to my hyst, some I was extremely anemic and others I was not. I found that when I was anemic I had a harder recovery time and battled fatigue more. It takes a while to build up and recover from major surgery and because of your blood loss your body is working extra hard to replace that as well.

My recovery time really varied. After 2 weeks I was better, but I'd say it was a good 4 weeks before I had a bit of stamina. After my TAH I didn't resume exercising until I had the OK from my doctor, and that was at 8 weeks. Even at that poing I had to resume slowly, like I was a beginner all over again. Keep in mind though, for me I'd had a lot of surgery in a very short time and that added to my recovery time.

I think the hardest thing is just having patience and waiting for your body to catch up to how you're feeling.

BSQ
Unread 03-23-2005, 02:17 PM

Hi Followinghim,
I'm 13 months post-op, TAH BSO, and just got back from the gym, so I wanted to tell you my experience in getting back to exercise. Basically, take it slowly and it will happen but it takes quite a while - at least it did for me. I do aerobics and step and weights and was in pretty good shape before the operation, so I thought I would be able to bounce back right away - Wrong! I would try going to a class or doing a machine and end up back in bed the next day. It's maddening, but you need to start back really slowly. I found that using the elliptical machine was the easiest on me at first. I didn't start back to aerobics and weights (at least successfully) until 5 months post-op, and wasn't totally back until 6 months. I know that's not what you want to hear - and maybe you'll do better than me since you're an instructor - but if you take it slowly and listen to your body when it complains, you'll get right back to where you were before. Good luck and patience!
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2005, 09:02 AM

I am a Jazzercise fanatic, was in VERY good shape and attending strenuous classes (cardio, weights, stretching) 5 days/week. I had laparoscopic surgery Feb. 28, and I started back to class March 22 with my dr permission (he looked at me sternly and said GENTLE exercise!). I was VERY careful--no impact in cardio, dr said no more than 15lb weight so I used baby 3 lb-ers (I had been up to 8's), and I barely stretched at all. I had no energy--it was too soon, but I really needed to MOVE a little. By Mar 26, I started to feel perkier, and by the 30th I was pretty energetic, although nowhere near where I was before surgery. Still am VERY careful stretching.
I felt the same as you, followingHim. I saw my muscle disappearing before my eyes, and even though I lost weight, I knew it was muscle. Today is the first day my muscles are actually sore from class, so I am finally starting to work in class (I actually broke a sweat yesterday!)
I went back too soon....let your body ditate what you do, be VERY careful with yourself and don't do more than your doctor indicates. It's so hard to be patient, I know.
I am in a dodgeball league, and my doctor said ABSOLUTELY NOT. It's killing me!

isewquilts
Unread 04-01-2005, 05:20 PM

I went to yoga yesterday for the first time since surgery, exactly four weeks after I went into the hospital. I did all the easiest options, rested in between and still woke up stiff and sore this morning. Then I got on my exercise bike for 30 minutes today, mostly on the lowest setting.

My strategy is to do *something* every day now, even if it's just 15 minutes on the bike or a walk to the store or something, just to get myself back into the swing of things exercise-wise. I have a goal to run a 5K in 30 minutes in September, so I have to get started!
Unread 04-03-2005, 09:50 AM
update

Hey sisters,
I'm now almost 4 weeks out and I feel GREAT. I actually started to feel great on Tuesday of last week (exactly 3 weeks out). I still haven't exercised, as I go to the doctor on Tuesday of this week and I am waiting for his go ahead. But my energy is much, much better and I just feel fantastic. Thanks for all of your input and encouragement!

Blessings to all,
followingHim
Unread 04-16-2005, 04:10 PM

I began walking for 5 minutes twice a day the day following my LAVH. By the end of the first week I had progressed to one mile per day at about 3.0 on the treadmill. I returned to step aerobics after 2 weeks with my Dr's permission. He released me to a full exercise routine after 12 days post-op. I was somewhat surprised how well I felt following surgery. I firmly believe that even small increments of activity will assist in the healing process. I hope you regain your stamina soon!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register