keep or remove cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

keep or remove cervix keep or remove cervix

Unread 03-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Surgery Scheduled 4/4/05 and I'm terrified...need someone to talk to

Hi. I'm new to this site. I'm scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy on 4/4/05 due to fibroids and I'm terrified because I've never been in the hospital before and never been cut open. I'm 40 and have no children. I've always wanted children but it just didn't know because I didn't meet Mr. Right until 38. We have been married for 4 months. My husband already has 3 grow kids and had a vasectomy 14 years ago, so no more kids for him. I did have two laser surgeries for fibroids (1997 and 2000). The fibroids grew back again and are large. I know a hysterectomy is the only way to stop the fibroids from growing back. I think I'm having a hard time with this because it's so final. What I now need to decide to whether or not to keep my cervix. I've been told I really don't need it and that it is best that it be removed. I think the thing that worries me the most if I have my cervix removed is that sex will feel different. I've only been married 4 months so we're still newlyweds if you know what I mean. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 09:08 PM
keep or remove cervix

Hi butterfly64 -
Check out the post-op message board. There are a few new posts describing "first time" after hysterectomy. Very reassuring to me, and hopefully will help you too!

LL
Unread 03-17-2005, 10:24 PM
keep or remove cervix

Hi Butterfly64.

Here is a very recent thread on keeping the cervix or not. I actually posted on it also. Very informative replies from several Hyster Sisters. Please check it out.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=192011

Best wishes. The decision to keep-or-not keep the cervix is very personal. Since I was a candidate, I am very glad I did.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2005, 05:07 AM
keep or remove cervix

Hi..! I'm 40 also (no children)...and am scheduled for an SAH at the end of April...I read as much as I could (and this site was so very very helpful) about keeping my cervix...and I decided to keep it. My thought was if it's healthy (no abnormal paps) then why get rid of it? Of course, I'm fully aware that if the doc finds something when she gets in there she may have to remove it, but my wishes are to keep it and my gyn thought it was a good idea and explained why. As historylady said, there are LOTS of good threads on here about this very subject.

Best wishes to you,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register