exuberant pets & TAH recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

exuberant pets & TAH recovery exuberant pets & TAH recovery

Unread 03-18-2005, 11:29 AM
exuberant pets & TAH recovery

I hope this does not sound corny w/all the serious concerns all us LIW are having...but it is a somewhat valid concern I think: I have a couple of dear cats (SO sez "savages") that just love me to heck. They also jump, leap, and bounce all over me especially when I am in bed and they think it is time for me to get up. I plan on isolating me from them by keeping bedroom door closed --has anyone had to deal w/too much love from pets during the first wk or so of recovery? Any suggestions in protecting yourself from pouncing fur-heads?
This sounds like a silly concern, doesent it? Maybe I am just inventing problems at this point!
Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2005, 11:53 AM

LOL
Not at all - I have a 6 month kitten - sometimes he is dopey and cuddly and snuggles up... then other times he leaps about at the speed of light with all the grace of a baby elephant! I have thought that he will have to only be allowed in the bedroom with me when I am awake enough to keep an eye on him!
Unread 03-18-2005, 11:58 AM

I have two really active lap dogs, one thinks she is a cat. After my third child was born I had my tubes tied. I know my belly hurt quite a bit. I would lie on the couch with a pillow to cushion the leaps that I didn't manage to fend off, this helped a bit. After the first few days they figured it out and would be content to hop beside me and rest gently on my lap. I didn't want to "oust" them for fear of jealousy w/ the new one and all. I haven't had or even have a date for my hyst. yet. Still wondering if it is right for me. Oh also, keep treats handy use them to get them to hop next to you and not on top of you. This also helped me alot. In some ways they seemed to know that I was in pain and seemed to be a tad more "gentle" with me. Exp. my kitty wannabe. They just might suprise you. If not - then oust them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2005, 12:29 PM

I too have 3 rather "enthusiastic" cats.

It's funny....one of them is a major lap cat, and just loves me to death. From the moment I came home from the castle, she seemed to "know" that mom was not feeling well, and she shouldn't jump up on me.

Just in case, I always kept my handy Hystersisters tummy pillow on or near my belly. I never had a problem with any of the cats. It was much harder for my ds to remember he couldn't jump in my lap!

s
Tam
Unread 03-18-2005, 12:59 PM

For my last surgery, I used a TEDDY BEAR - a good sized one. Keeps the cats off!
Unread 03-18-2005, 01:06 PM

I understand fully! I have a cat who weighs 16 lbs. and he jumps on my stomach to wake me up in the middle of the night to go out. Plus, I go downstairs several times a night to check to see if he wants to come in. If he does, it is only for a few hours then he wakes me again. My bedroom is upstairs and he is my main concern.
Unread 03-18-2005, 01:12 PM

I was rather hopeing that the cats would know that I was in pain and hurt...instinct and all. They do seem to be in tune w/my moods and feelings. I will keep an arsenal of pillows and a giant teddy bear army surrounding me! I am relieved that there are others w/the pet concern--I felt kinda silly asking!
Unread 03-18-2005, 01:34 PM

With cats you never know when one is going to come flying and land on your lap as you are sitting watching tv, eating or whatever. If you have SOMETHING in your lap they are less likely to leap.

I also found one cat CHEWING on the ear of the bear - guess he was jealous!
Unread 03-18-2005, 01:40 PM
pets and homecoming

I have one very old (15 years) golden retriever. He does not jump on me, but he plants himself in my way so I can't walk from one room to the next without tripping over him. DH is kenneling the dog for my first week home - I won't be able to walk him or bend over to feed him, so I'm very glad. I'll miss him, but I'll be sore if I'm stumbling over him trying to get to the loo! cj
Unread 03-18-2005, 01:41 PM

I have kitties also. DH is going to put them upstairs so they won't be able to jump on me when I get back from the castle. I love my kitties, but we sure don't need them to jump on us. We have a door between the upstairs and downstairs so I am lucky that way.
Paula

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register