Stupid things people say | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stupid things people say Stupid things people say

Unread 03-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Stupid things people say

Anyone want to share some stories of how stupid people can be? I have been back to work now for a little over a month. We have alot of employees so every few days someone will come up to me and ask me where I have been. The other day there was a lady who came up and asked me. I told her the usual...I had surgery and now I'm back. Why did I have surgery she asked. I proceeded to tell her that I had a hysterectomy. Next out of her mouth..."But I thought you wanted more kids". I replied that I had wanted more kids but needed the surgery. "I don't understand, why would you have the surgery if you want kids". I told her I had cervical cancer and it was a risk if I HADN'T gotten the surgery. Then what comes out of her mouth??? Yep! "Well I heard that alot of people still get pregnant after they have that". WHAT? "I don't have a uterus so I have no place to put a baby". Her response "well I heard doctors screw that up all the time and its not 100% so you can still pray and perhaps you will be blessed with child". It was at that time that I realized she was talking about tubal ligation. So I tried to explain to her that you need a uterus that I dont' have. She still didn't admit that she could be mistaken. Instead she told me that "Well I don't know how the uterus thing works but I can tell you that even after its removed you CAN still get pregnant". There is just no use arguing with stupid people. Another guy I work with told me that because I drink diet pepsi this is how I "caught" cancer. YOu know, you can't drink anything dark??!!!??? Then there is the occasional person who offers me soemthing to eat, as I am losing weight. I am plenty fat...I could stand to lose a good 80 pounds. However people see that I have lost weight and feel obligated to offer me cookies etc. WEll since I went thru radiation I get diarrea. I can't eat anything cuz I will then have to run to the bathroom. I don't like discussing diarrea with co-workers. I say if I eat I will get sick. Still they want to MAKE me eat something. Or what I really enjoy is that everyone wants to tell me cancer stories. Oh my mother died of skin cancer. My aunt died of stomach cancer etc etc etc. First of all, cervical cancer is in a whole different region than lung cancer...perhaps I should draw a diagram for them! And why in the world would you tell someone with cancer horror stories? Why not talk about how your mom had cervical cancer and was fine. I think only one person told me that, and I have heard several other horror stories, none of which pertain to cervical cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Stupid things people say

Yes people can be stupid can't they. A few weeks ago I went to see my local doctor about some things. Worse when you have your period he asked!! Why can't they take a few moments to read your file before you go in? I am now changing doctors.

Unread 03-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Stupid things people say

Ugh! People!

I learned a long time ago that people don't realize that they are being idiots. So, I tell them. In the situation with the woman that just didn't get it I would have said "I know you think what you are saying makes sense and you don't mean to be offensive but...". Sometimes people mean to say the right things but don't. You just have to look them straight in the eye and with your best Eartha Kitt purr fix the error of their ways. "Thank you for sharing your opinion, but you need to consult an anatomy book before I'll consider it."

As far as the eating thing, tell them that you would love to partake of their goodies but they are going to have to promise to clean up any mess you make because of it. Make sure you say it with a smile.

You are traveling a rough road. Do not let these people sabatoge your mental health with their words. Stay strong Sister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Stupid things people say

I was picking up my DD from nursery school and was talking to one mom about my DD comming over to play after my TAH so I can rest and another lady piped in " you are so lucky I would give anything for 6 weeks bed rest".

I had another girl tell me to treat my recovery like a vacation. I just nodded at her but I was thinking in my head where the heck do you vacation.

My favorite one was a lady telling me that she heard after you have a hysterectomy you can get pregnant real easy.
Unread 03-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Stupid things people say

I've had alot of the "vacation" comments! "What did you do with all that free time". "oh that must have been so nice to have DH help you out while you laid on the couch". My ex-mother in law said that one! Like I am so lazy that I got a hyst just so I could lay on the couch and watch TV all day. And when you tell them how painful it was, they want to tell you ridiculous thing! "oh I can relate, my fibromyalgia has been acting up again in this weather"!!!! I'll trade you one fibromylgia for one hysterectomy anyday. And the ex-mother in law saying those things actually wanted me to pity her for her fibromylgia!!! My grandmother had MS and coudln't walk for 30 years of her life. She was bed ridden the last 15. and the last 2 she could barely even talk, let alone try to use a remote to turn the channel on the tv! And this woman wants pity from me???!!! Telling me how my daughters dad now has carpal tunnel and can't work and can't seem to get disablity. Wow, strange how until he got FIRED he was just fine. And funny how he can shoot pool 3 or 4 nights a week with that much pain! Her poor son has asthma (he's 33 mind you) and the cops are picking on him for parking in a handicapped space, when they should consider how hard it is for someone with athsma to walk the whole way thru the parking lot! Oh that was lovely!!! I remember my father taking my grandmother (who was HIS mother in law) to the store and he WOULD NOT PARK IN HANDICAPPED SPACE. He said that he was perfectly capable of carrying her out of the car and placing her in her electric wheelchair so that space should be reserved for someone who doesn't have help!!! DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON HANDICAPPED PARKING!!! Its not like I expected alot of sympathy, but I certainly don't expect to go thru a major operation and have to hear how bad my ex and his mom are doing because of ASTHMA or FIBROMYLGIA. And truly these idiots think they deserve pity!!! I have moved to a new house whilst I was going thru radiation. I had blood clot, major blood loss, and huge hematoma. I went back to work and was working only 9 hours a week. My ex had the audacity to go to court trying to get me for contempt for not paying child support??? (yes my eldest daughter chose to move with her dad after a long drawn out custody hearing!). What kind of person would get fired and have the gumption to call up domestic relations to question why if I am working he hasn't gotten his check! I told him I have cancer and can't work that much and of course his response was that he has carpal tunnel and can't work at all! My response was then send my daughter back over to me and I will ensure that she is taken care of!!! Of course that won't happen. Even though I have a $160K house and he lives in a trailor his wifes dad bought them for $6700!! 3 kids and 4 adults sharing a 3 bedroom trailor with 2 dogs and 2 cats adn no yard!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Sorry, I was venting! I feel better now!
Unread 03-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Stupid things people say

Now, let me tell you ladies about my truly stupid and obnoxious comment. I will be having my hysterectomy in two days, and allowed my DD to have a sleepover with five of her most devoted and giggly friends about two weeks ago. Well, one of her buddies' mother decided that she would then have a sleepover this coming Thursday (which is only three days post-op). She wanted to know if I would come over and help her with all of the girls. I told her there was no way! I don't even know if I'll be home then! The child told me the next day that her mother said she could not have a sleepover, because I didn't want to help her! HELLO? Nobody helped me, and I kept them all in line! People are so ignorant sometimes, I swear! Keep your spirits up, and just thank God every day that you are not as lacking in mental capacity as some of these people!
Unread 03-19-2005, 06:02 PM
True

I am laughing so hard now..I was taking all the comments so serious and not taking into account how dumb people can be..Thanks....

Gail

If one more person says how was the vacation I will throw up!!!!
Unread 03-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Stupid things people say

Just try to remember the classic saying "Too bad ignorance isn't Painful" This will help to get you through it. If you don't burst out in giggles right in front of the idiot that's talking to you!
Unread 03-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Stupid things people say

I do agree people are idiots, when I had the nurse from the hospital call to inform me on all details of my TAH, she goes "Boy you are young why are you having a hysterectomy" so I explained and she goes "well at least you have kids" with no reguards that I might have wanted another? I know I am very lucky (and grateful)to have 2 when their are plenty of women who will not and by all means I do not mean to sound selfish I would give up my ability to have more children if it meant someone else could but I truely did want another baby, and I am truly heartbroken over this and when she said that my mouth dropped she could have asked if I wanted more children before belting that out. But I do have to say as well is that my mother suffers from Fibromyalga, Severe Asthma to the point her hands turn black, and she has MS I wouldn't want to be in her shoes anyday and the poor woman has to have a Hysterectomy for Fibroids and Chronic Bleeding she is in so much pain and it's not like you can surgically fix that pain either it's life long and there is only so much that can be done, my poor Mommy seriously (forget me) And what kinda BS is that "you can STILL get pregnant after a Hysterectomy" I mean common where do they think the baby developes for the 9 months the bladder or better yet the cervix? geez people truely amaze me!
Unread 03-22-2005, 04:33 AM
Stupid things people say

I too am sick of the vacation comments, I would rather be on a cruise any day..........what a vacation, when you feel like your going to pass out from the gas you have, , or yet have crying spells :cry: most of the day. I have heard everyone elses problems since I came home, but the moment I talk about mine.......they bolt! It is funny when I think about how emotional I am right now , but I want to be queen of my castle right now, I want TLC dang it! HeHeHeHe!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register