rectocele repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele repair rectocele repair

Unread 03-19-2005, 05:49 PM
rectocele repair

Hi all,
I had a TVH in 2002 and a few months later went in for a lap where they found my right ovary had attached itself to the bowel. Thought I was done with gynecological surgeries. No such luck.
I just went to the gyn Wednesday and it appears that I have a recocele and cystocele. So, now I'm scheduled for a posterior repair in four weeks....exact date not certain. My MD stated that he is unable to do the cystocele repair because he feels that my vagina is too short and small and doing both repairs would seriously compromise future sexual function. He seems to think that a post-op pessary would do the trick.
I am just really sad and depressed over this whole thing. I'm 34 years old and I feel just way too young to be having this many problems. Sorry to whine...I just know that this is the proper place to do it..lol.
Has anyone else there had a similar problem with a different course of treatment. I don't want to go through this surgery only to have to have the anterior repair done in a year BUT definitely do not want to hinder my sexual function. I am just really confused. I'm doing all the research I can but have found that talking with people who have been through similar situations is the best tool.

Jami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2005, 09:32 PM
rectocele repair

Hi there. I too had a Vaginal Hysterectomy and bowel/bladder A/P repairs on March 1, 2005. This was all due to the fact that I had large babies. I'm three weeks (almost) post-op and am worried about how things are healing. I feel like a mutated freak down there. Just hoping when I see doc on Tuesday he'll tell me everything is healing okay. I don't know about you but I had a severe prolapse as it was coming out of the vaginal cavity already and now things seem to be pulled up where they belong (I hope). So in that respect I do not regret this surgery at all. My biggest fear is of not healing properly or getting another prolapse. I too am young, 31 years old, and feel like this just shouldn't be happening to me as I'm too young. I have had other health issues and it has all been since I turned 30! Scary! Should have stayed in my 20's I guess (if only we could choose that eh?)Anyways, you are not alone and have to be strong! I was so scared too but as long as you have trust in your doctor you'll pull through and be glad you did it! DH and I have not had sex yet and I'm very afraid of that part too. I don't know if the hyst has shortened me or not. The doc said that there is probably going to be some shortening of the vaginal canal but we'll see. If you ever want to talk please don't hesitate to email me! Take care of yourself!
Unread 03-19-2005, 09:41 PM
rectocele repair

Hi Jamie
I am sorry you are having these gyno. problems. I had my TAH in May, then my GB surgery in Sept, then my rectocele/enterocele repair in Jan. I know how you are feeling about the possibilities of more gyno surgeries. I was diagnosed with stress incontinence before my repairs. I wasn't able to get in to see the uro who would need to be at my surgery to do the tvt. My gyn wanted me to delay my surgery until he could be avaliable.My bm situation was really bad so I didn't and I have to say I should have waited. I was scheduled for a tvt in a couple weeks for my stress incontinence, but just cancelled it because I don't feel I can handle another surgery right now.
My gyn also said I have a small cystocele, but didn't need fixed at this time. He said we will keep a eye on it. I am thinking it may need fixed down the road. I don't want to keep having surgeries either.
My posterior repair didn't make me any shorter in there. I am sorry your dr. thinks it will cause you sexual problems if you have a anterior repair. My gyn used pervicol graft, since I already had some pain with intercourse. Maybe suggest to your dr. to use this kind of graft to repair you.It is soft and feels just like vaginal skin or material. It isn't supposed to add to pain and is supposed to last a lifetime.
I hope you find the answers and get the results you deserve.
s
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2005, 09:52 PM
rectocele repair

Thank you for your kind responses. There's just so many decisions to make. I think I will talk to the MD again...I'm fortunate in the fact that I'm a post-partum nurse and I see my doc several times a day. Don't know how lucky that is for him

As an added note, I will say that sex after my TVH was better than ever. Maybe TMI but when they did the procedure, they lifted everything up and all that new skin exposed made for a wonderful experience! I'm hoping for the same result with this one.

Jami
Unread 03-20-2005, 05:08 PM
rectocele repair

Peggy,
With the skin graft have you noticed any loss of sensation? I really don't want to go in and have one repair done only to find that the cystocele really should have been done. My doc isn't really worried about the shortness of the vagina but rather the width. He feels that to repair both would make it the size of a prepubescent girl....lucky me. Anyway, again, many thanks for the kind responses. Good luck to all with your recoveries.

Jami
Unread 03-21-2005, 05:21 PM
rectocele repair

Hi Jamie

I hate to say it, but I was losing sensation in there before my hyst so I can't say if it is any worst since the skin graft. It feels just like the rest of my vagina texture wise. It is kind of hard on the bottom, but probably just needs to stretch out more. I think the skin graft kind of grows into your own skin under there.
I am sorry I couldn't be much help. I have extra tissue of some sort that hangs from the top and I think it really takes away from the sensation. I don't know if this is the cystocele or something else. All I know is I am so glad to not have to push in my vagina to go.
I hope everything works out for you.
Good luck
Peggy
Unread 03-31-2005, 09:55 AM
rectocele repair

Most urogynecologists now feel that the anterior repair is a poor choice for repairing a cystocele in most cases. They state that approximately 85% of cystoceles are not due to midline defects (which an anterior repair should correct) but instead are caused by lateral defects. The repair they recommend for this is called a paravaginal repair.

Especially given your doc's misgivings about the size of your vagina already, I would try to find a urogynecologist or pelvic reconstructive surgeon to evaluate your situation.

My prolapses started before I was 30, and I know how it feels to feel like such damaged goods at such a young age. It really stinks!

Best wishes and I hope you get the answers you need and deserve.
Unread 03-31-2005, 01:31 PM
anterior and posterior repairs

Hi, just read the posts and I can say that I am ten weeks into my anterior and posterior repairs. My GYN made me way too small and tight and I am also having urethrovaginal reflux. Urine spraying backwards and hitting inside the vagina. I'm a very unhappy camper at this point. I just posted about having these problems and then read this thread. Wish I had never had it done! Too late now, and I need to find some answers. Think twice and more about having these repairs done. I am sure it works for some, but so far it isn't for me.
Unread 04-09-2005, 11:39 PM
rectocele repair

Bonnie and Annie...thank you so much for your kind words and info. Annie (((Hugs)))....I am so sorry you're having such a difficult time with your recovery. What does your doc say? Is it possible that with time, the skin down there will loosen or stretch back out?
They have finally scheduled my surgery for April 20th and I go in Wednesday to talk to the doc about my options. I spoke to one of our on-call docs today (a urologist) and he agreed with ya'll that a midline approach is not the best course of treatment. He offered to consult with my doc and possibly do both repairs at one time but with two surgeons. I did forget to ask him this, though.....when doing a cystocele repair (you'd think I'd know this...lol) don't you normally go home with a foley? For some reason, this just freaks me out. I have this thing about catheters....I swear, I'd rather take a bullet than have to deal with one. How pathetic am I?

Jami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register