best post-op 'fashion' tips | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

best post-op 'fashion' tips best post-op 'fashion' tips

Unread 02-04-2001, 06:32 PM
best post-op 'fashion' tips

After I just responded to another swelly belly comment, I was thinking that maybe we could help each other (and any newly crowned princesses) with some fashion tips. What do you wear that still feels comfortable after surgery? Have you made any changes in your wardrobe to accomodate swelly belly ? (or is this only me?)

I know I can start the weekend with jeans- the structure feels good in the am - but by evening they have got to go !
I also stocked up on some basic colors of elastic waisted tailored pants - (I still can't wear many of my work wardrobe pants for the full 8 hours). Jumpers and long tunics are working well. For pantyhose , stock a pair a size larger just in case...

Send me the fashion tips, ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2001, 07:08 AM

I had my hyst last June, and dh went out and bought me a lot of summer shift type dresses, and elastic waist skirts.He did a good job also,stuff I'm not embarrassed to be seen in. While at home, even at almost 8 months,I still wear my jammie bottoms,and sweats.I can wear my jeans, but on some evenings they still feel tight. Loose and comfortable is the key here.
Unread 02-06-2001, 08:55 AM
post-op fashions

I was happy to see this post. I'm 5 days post-op TAH and am conscious of needing to be comfortable but I'm trying not to slide into sloth. I don't feel so great to begin with -- and feeling like a mess doesn't make me feel too good either. There's got to be a psychological component to healing.
Up until today I've been wearing oversized cotton weave nightshirts -- the type that button up the front. This swelled-up belly doesn't feel too good nor attractive in jersey materials. These are easier to get into and having looked at pre-op suggestions here on Hyster Systers...I learned that not wearing long gowns made life easier moving around in bed. It's true, and shorter nightshirts have been much more accommodating.
Today I finally feel like getting dressed so I put on cotton thermal leggings which feel warm and very comfortable. I looked in my closet and found that my very considerate husband had taken a bunch of my cotton overshirts to the laundry and there they were -- fresh and pressed. What a doll.
One last thing I've done that might be helpful to share is to order online. There are two great aspects to this --1. You get to choose what's best for you 2. When packages arrive...it's like giving a present to yourself. We deserve that!
Amy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2001, 11:07 AM
my fashion tip

I found that lots of materity clothes worked for me. Not anything that looks too "pregnant", but some styles cross over very well. Cute and comfortable.

I liked wearing slip on shoes, too. Hard to reach down sometimes. I wore a pair of clogs with low heels and slip on bunny slippers at home.

Someone posted that maternity pany hose were a great fit for going back to work.

Long and loose, thats for me right now!

Tallkat
Unread 02-06-2001, 11:31 AM

I wore short night shirts for about a month after surgery, until my son started making fun of me hehehe. I am still wearing sweats and jammie bottoms now every day, when I go out I wear my jeans but they come off as soon as I get home. Oh I didn't wear underwear for 1st month too, nothing on my stomach felt good!! I guess I will admitt also that when I am home alone and I get a hotflash, well the shirt has to come off.
Unread 02-06-2001, 12:12 PM

I wore short cotton shirt dress gowns throughout my entire recovery. When I went back to work I wore elastic banded skirts that had baggie matching tops. The only hose I wore were knee high (skirts were mid calf). Comfort is the key!!! Before long you'll be back in all your regular clothes.
Unread 02-06-2001, 01:28 PM
Caftans

I have bowel disease and can't wear anything around my waist, so my wardrobe would suit anyone with swelly belly. I wear cotton t-shirt dresses, caftans and bib overalls. All roomy. Never anything around my waist. Funny thing is, I didn't get swelly belly!!! Not yet, anyway!

Unread 02-06-2001, 05:09 PM
Hey Jan..

We're twins. I had a TAH BSO on Dec 12 also. 8 weeks post-op today!!

I bought some flannel drawstring pants that I love. Some people may call them pajamas (cough, cough) but mine came with matching sweatshirts - so I consider them real clothes!! LOL
I've only worn a denim jumper for dress up and it's long so I can wear knee highs. I did think of buying maternity pantyhose if I needed them. I don't think I'm ready for regular ones even now.
I also got several pair of slacks with elastic waists. I can only last a few hours in my jeans.

Feeling great!!
xoxox Nita

TAH BSO 12/12/00 fibroids and excessive bleeding
Unread 02-06-2001, 06:51 PM

I'm 8 weeks post-op. For work, I'm wearing "no-waist" dresses. (The jjill.com website has great ones.) The skirts are long enough that I can wear knee socks, rather than pantyhose. I've been wearing flat heels to work. It seems like even small heels make my back ache now. As soon as I get home for the day, it's back to the baggy pj bottoms or overalls.
Unread 02-06-2001, 07:57 PM
Bib Overalls!

Bib overalls - that's the key. I was shopping one week pre-op with my sister-in-law who is also a punctured princess when we saw farmer biboveralls in a woman's specialty shop. We started laughing because we wore them to college in the 70's. Then she went serious on me and said they were the ideal answer for post-op swelly belly. I still live in them 6 weeks post-op. They are the ultimate evening wear when the kids come home from school and I have expanded my two sizes for the day.

Also, I bought large cotton underwear - at least one size bigger - oh are they ever nice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register