anyone else very sensitive to drugs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone else very sensitive to drugs? anyone else very sensitive to drugs?

Unread 03-21-2005, 08:43 PM
anyone else very sensitive to drugs?

Remember the story about the princess and the pea...

Part of what concerns me about my upcoming surgery, is the various drugs I'll be given in the hosp. and whatever I'll be given for use at home. I just have a really sensitive system, and also get motion sick very easily. If I have something going on healthwise, I usually try to deal with it herbally or with supplements, because the side effects of the drugs are usually so bad for me. I avoid taking anything unless absolutely neccessary. So, I'm not used to taking much of anything - I can't even tolerate caffeine.

I also have acid-reflux, and am resistant to the medications for that problem, so have to be extra careful about what I eat.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Any suggestions? Are non-narcotic pain killers easier on the system. A few years ago I had to take Tylenol 2. After taking one, the room was spinning, and I never took it again. I decided to be in pain instead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2005, 06:50 AM

Hi, I don't have reflux disease ( DD and DH do ) But I have BAD reactions to anything with narcotics in it. Vomiting, dry heaves, itching, spinning room - the whole works. General anesthesia also makes me sick. So after my surgery, I was given phenegran injections ( after a reaction to morphine ) and put on a non narcotic pain killer. I had to also use phenegran suppositories for a few days after I got home. The non narcotic meds did help and I recovered well

This is something that you should discuss with your dr ahead of time. Together, you should be able to mmake the decisions that are best for you.

No coffee? - I couldn't get by without my coffee

Best wishes.

s
Unread 03-22-2005, 06:50 AM

Semi similar, as far as reactions to meds anyway. I can't take any type of antihistamine because I wind up so far out in lala land that I can't function. I can take aspirin, Tylenol, etc. The narcotics - to take care of the pain yes, but wipes me out. I had a morphine pump for 24 hours after surgery, I was pretty loopy. Then Percocet orally - still pretty loopy. After I was home I took them for a few days morning and afternoon, then pretty quickly I was able to cut back to just at bedtime, but I think I stopped totally by one week. I did take Advil, etc after that. I think the narcotics were the reason it took me so long to lose the foggy brain and why I needed naps so long.

There are anti nausea meds that they can give you in your IV which really do help.

Discuss your concerns with your DR and also with the anesthesiologist the day of surgery.

S and best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2005, 08:18 AM

Hi,

It seems I am very sensitive. As this was my first time having general anesthesia (March 10 TAH) I didn't know what to expect.
Spent a good time in post op vomiting.

Seemed to tolerate the pump ok, think it was dilaudid (sp?). But the oral percocets took me for a loop!! Made me nauseaus (make sure you have food in your stomach) plus left me with a horrible headache as they wore off. Got switched to Vicodin, better but not the greatest. These pills can all be scored and I quartered the Vicodin and that helped. On my second day home just used Advil (600-800mg) and that worked for me.

Good luck, let all your doctors know your "sensitivity" especially the anesthesiologist.

BarbNJ
Unread 03-22-2005, 02:59 PM

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. I will definitely talk with both my Dr. and anesthesiologist about my *princess and the pea* issues! Being so sensitive makes all this feel more complicated.
Unread 03-22-2005, 06:33 PM

Definately talk to your dr. I have the same concerns, although I have never had any narcotics, I know my Dad can't take them and they scare me.....
I also have a little reflux and was a bit worried about that, but I don't take anything for it, I'm just careful and sometimes sleep "stacked" up.
I did ask my dr about the narcs and he told me I would have a half hour with the anestesia nurse and to tell them my fears, but my dr did not seem to think it would be any trouble.
Unread 03-22-2005, 08:26 PM

I 'm having the same concerns about the pain meds as I also have a sensitive system when it comes to the meds. I'm allergic to morphine, vicodin, and codein. I know that I can handle the dalaudid because I've had it before and that is what they plan to give me after surgury. As far as when I go home I'm supposed to be taking percoset (sp?), which has me worried as I have never taken it before. I'm really considering asking if I can just have some motrin instead. I don't want to be vomiting and have a bad reaction to the percoset.

For anyone who has had percoset, I know that it reacts with each person differently, does it make you sleepy or does it just make you loopy?

Lonicera, good luck and best wishes, I hope you don't have any bad reactions.
Unread 03-22-2005, 08:33 PM

I had a problem with vomiting after wisdom teeth extraction so I told the anesthesiologist. He gave me medication before surgery and I was not even nauseous post-op. I cannot take prescription pain medication so I took Motrin and was fine. For the first week I did take them faithfully (per doctor's instructions) every four hours. After that I just used the Motrin on an as-needed basis.

Sue
Unread 03-22-2005, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2nd generation

For anyone who has had percoset, I know that it reacts with each person differently, does it make you sleepy or does it just make you loopy?
2nd generation.....I can only speak for myself... but the percoset gave me a horrible headache and made me vomit within 30 minutes of taking it.... which as we know is not something anyone wants to do after abdominal surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register