Abdominal pain 6 months post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal pain 6 months post-op? Abdominal pain 6 months post-op?

Unread 03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Abdominal pain 6 months post-op?

I'm hoping someone here can give me some info. My hyst was 9/14/04 and I seemed to heal pretty quickly. I have 2 toddlers and no family close by other than my DH and older daughter to help during the recovery period. Did pretty good though taking it easy during the first couple months post-op. Even through Christmas if I started feeling any twinges in my abdomen I'd stop and rest. Other than the occassional twinge I healed fast and the Dr. said I looked great at 7 weeks.

Last week I got a bit constipated for some reason and I guess I had to strain a little. Ever since I've had bad abdominal pains periodically. Last night I reached up to turn the light out in bed and it felt like someone had dragged a knife across my lower abdomen. Today was doing some house cleaning (picking up toys, vacuuming, etc) and now how searing pain across my abdomen.

Does this sound like "normal" pain 6 months after a TAH? Are the muscles still super sensitive after all this time? I hate going to the Dr only to be told I strained some muscles and they need to heal, but don't want to ignore it if its more serious. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2005, 02:02 PM

my TAH was on 10/13, so i'm about 6 months post-op as well. had been doing pretty well, but did have some abdominal pain, mostly on the left side. went to the dr. today (for my scheduled 6 month check-up) and mentioned it. he checked for hernias (turned my head and coughed) but doesn't think that's what it is. he did say that sometimes the nerves that had been cut during surgery start to grow back and get kinda "bunched-up" around the scar tissue. because i have more sensation directly above the incision than below it, he says that most likely is the cause. according to my dr. this type of thing usually works itself out in a year or two (not really what i wanted to hear!) i'm going back in a few weeks to try some tests to make sure that this is what's going on and not adhesions.

sorry this is such a long-winded reply, but i think the bottom line is that you have to call your dr. it really is their job to take care of us, but they need to know what's going on / how you're feeling to really be able to help . . . please give your dr. a call.

hope you're feeling better soon

s and good thoughts
Unread 03-23-2005, 02:29 PM

I totally agree. You should call and get in to see your doc to have this checked out soon. It could be healing pains, but it could be something else...better to be safe than sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2005, 03:02 PM
HI

Hi,
I am 1 1/2 years post-op an my ab aches all the time! WHen I get up in the morning I feel pretty good, but after working all day, and any physical labor & I hurt! This is probably due to adhesions, as it's not going to go away. So, basically I learned to live "around" this. Not something I want to do, but am forced to do. Don't be too surprised if your doctor just blows you off. Mine did. I had a CT scan and nothing showed up, so I figured it must be adhesions. Call your doctor and push for a ct scan or ultrasound, just to put your mind to rest. I have found personally that after the scan, I at least deal with it better emotionally. Don't be afraid to use a heating pad, or take a warm bath when it flares up! Good Luck.
Unread 03-23-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks ladies. I'll see if I can get in to see my Dr while my oldest daughter is home on the rest of this week or early next. I've been putting it off figuring I just strained something, but I guess after almost a week and its not getting better at all I'll go ahead and go in. Even if that's all it is, if they check it out and tell me that's all it is, it'll be easier to deal with. Just kinda hit me hard today cause I feel like I should be "normal" by now. At least I'm not having the monthly excrutiating pain anymore
Unread 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM

hello
I am glad you plan on getting it checked out. I am almost 11 months post op and still dealing with abdominal pain. There is help out there if we find the right place to go. Hopefully yours will get better all by itself, but is a good idea to be looked at.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register