New Chemo Treatment - "Suicide"Gene Therapy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Chemo Treatment - "Suicide"Gene Therapy New Chemo Treatment - "Suicide"Gene Therapy

Unread 03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
New Chemo Treatment - "Suicide"Gene Therapy

I got this email from a friend of mine.....has anyone here read about this? It sounds very interesting..........
GeorgiaPeaches

'SUICIDE' GENE THERAPY

Most chemo. drugs wreak havoc because they also damage or destroy healthy cells throughout the body. This leads to side effects (fatigue, anemia, hair loss, and low immunity), thus making superpotent dosses of chemo too dangerous. Until now.

An experimental strategy called 'suicide' gene therapy prompts tumors to activate chemo drugs only in cancer cells.

In a recent British study of 12 women with late-stage breast cancer, this therapy surprised researchers by killing tumors elsewhere in the body. The treament may have taught the women's immune systems to recognize and destroy other tumor cells, suspects researcher Susan Kingsman, PhD. of Oxford University. She is also studying this strategy in people with pancreatic cancer. 'We can essentially vacinate patients against their own tumors,' she says.

If research is successful, this therapy could be widely available by 2008.

'SUICIDE' GENE THERAPY
PREVENTION MAGAZINE
APRIL, 2005 ISSUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2005, 06:04 PM

Sounds like immunotherapy, which has been around for decades, in the works and in practice. My mom had Interferon along with her 5FU for her cancer about ten years ago. The interferon was immunotherapy and it "told the cancer cells" to die, in a manner of speaking.

I don't know why this kind of thing isn't up and going for everyone and everything. Does anyone know why the immunotherapy isn't any farther along?

Is that the same as genome research? I can say I don't know enough about anything!

I've also read about studies where the reduce the tumor cells to a low temp and they die, or introduce this and that into the body to destroy the tumor cells. We need a scientist here right now to explain.
Unread 03-23-2005, 06:06 PM

You know what else I've wondered? When we have chemo treatments, which are so awful, why can't they kill the cancer with that? Why can't something so awful that kills everything else NOT kill cancer cells? It seems like it would be easy enough to figure out, but then, what do I know? (Then, there's the..."if they can put men on the moon.....why can't they.....?)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register