confused before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

confused before surgery confused before surgery

Unread 03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
confused before surgery

I've been browsing thru here reading questions. It seems that I thought I knew alot more than I do.

I've noticed alot of posts regarding lower libido and hormone problems from women who still kept their ovaries. I thought that if you keep the ovaries, then your hormones are uneffected.

Should I expect to have these problems after surgery even if I keep my ovaries? That is the main reason I wanted to keep them to avoid HRT.

Also, do you have a choice as to whether or not to have your cervix removed? I thought it was just part of having your uterus removed.

I'm really confused now. My surgery will be in July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
confused before surgery

Hi VegasGal,

I kept my ovaries and I haven't had any problems...so far. Some women, unfortunately do experience loss of libido and hormone problems. My doctor told me that after my surgery, my ovaries might go to sleep for a while and that I might experience some hormonal imbalance, hot flashes, etc during that time. Luckily, mine didn't sleep long enough to have any problems.

Keeping my ovaries, if they were healthy, was very important to me because I wasn't ready to enter the world of HRT.

You can have the choice to keep your cervix, if you want to. But, it is something that you must discuss with your doctor well in advance as you have to have a certain type of hysterectomy done to keep it. You can't keep the cervix when you have a vaginal hysterectomy as the procedure basically destroys it. You would have to have a LSH or SAH type hysterectomy to retain the cervix. I saw in your profile that you are scheduled for a TAH or SAH. Do you know which type yet?

Also, not all doctors are trained in these types of surgeries or have the equipment needed to perform them. Be sure to talk to your doctor if you are interested in keeping your cervix. I didn't retain mine and I haven't missed it but many women are glad they kept theirs.

I wish you the best in your research!

s

Deb
Unread 03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
confused before surgery

Since I didn't know it was an option, I'm wondering why someone would want to keep the cervix. Wouldn't that just increase the possiblilityof cervical cancer in the future?

What advantage is there to keep it or what problems can be associated with keeping it or not?

I am having a TAH. My fibroid is 15cm.

I'm having alot of pressure on my bladder lately and I'm wondering if I should ask him to tack it up while he's in there. I dont' know if it's dropped or if it's just pressure due to the enlarged uterus. Couldn't hurt, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2005, 04:10 PM
confused before surgery

Ask questions and more questions. Docs are not God - I have enough of them in my family to know this for sure (including a son).

From what I have read there are 'advantages' to keeping the cervix having to do with pelvic support. I am also 'opposed' to hyster because so many of them were done 'unnecessarily' in years past. I think 2/3 of my aunts have had hyster -- it was 'the answer' for any female problem for many years. This is not to say that it is not warranted in cases, but I need to know (and understand) that it is warranted in my case So should you.
Unread 03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
confused before surgery

So do the doctors in your family think you shouldn't have it?

I don't know about you, but I am only 44 and I certainly do not want to live with this big tumor and put up with this PIA every month until I go thru menopause.....with no guarantee that it will even shrink it. It could easily be another 10-15 years !!

I'm glad to have it taken out..I just want to know what all the options are regarding keeping or not keeping the cervix and the ovaries.
Unread 03-24-2005, 04:42 PM
confused before surgery

no that isn't it at all - none of them have examined me (and my son never will - LOL) but knowing enough docs on a personal level really takes them off the 'pedestal' for me. I don't revere them, and they have to earn my trust and respect.
Unread 03-24-2005, 08:15 PM
confused before surgery

Keeping healthy ovaries is the best thing to do. They sometimes require a little time after surgery to kick back into gear. Me I didn't have any problems, they're still working great.
As far as the cervix goes, I let them take mine. There was no way I was risking having mini periods by keeping the cervix which is small as a botton. They sew the topt part shut and it creats the new support. Losing the cervix does not cause loss in libio or loss of self lubing. But its best to talk to your dr, in my case my dr says he always takes the cervix and doesn't see the need to keep it. But I think its the "great" debate, sort of like tonsils, keep them, leave them. Its your call.
Unread 03-24-2005, 08:31 PM
confused before surgery

I also have a big fibroid (17cm) and others. My Dr. put me on Lupron for 3 months, with one month to go, my Dr. said the fibroid had indeed shrunk. I noticed after one month that my bladder felt a lot better. It holds more now and doesn't hurt when I have to go
I asked him about how my bladder would be affected by the hyst and he said it will be fine.....
Unread 03-25-2005, 09:39 AM
confused before surgery

I'm kind of curious as to why the Dr. would give you drugs to shrink it if he is already going to take it out? Is there an advantage to shrinking it prior to surgery?

Just wondered. Personally, I'd rather not take any unnecessary drugs.
Unread 03-25-2005, 10:06 AM
confused before surgery

One good reason to shrink the fibroids is if you might possibly be able to have a less invasive surgery (like a lap or a vaginal instead of a TAH or SAH) if only your fibroids and uterus were a little smaller.

Also, if you have to wait an extended time to have your surgery, it might serve to make you a little more comfortable if your fibroids are a bit smaller. Of course, in this case you're also running the risk that the side effects of the Lupron will be worse than your current symptoms! In my case, the side effects with Lupron were such that I wasn't willing to undergo further treatment with it after the first shot.

Your doctor would be the best person to discuss this with, as he or she can tell you whether there would likely be benefit to you.

Trish

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register